Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default New member from the area

Hello Everyone,

I wanted to introduce myself and say hello. I'm a 27 year old male. I've been shooting rifles for as long as I can remember, and just purchased my first handgun last year after a 3rd attempt at mugging me. I've very interested in shooting tactics and improving my shot. I'm a concealed carrier, and I've been considering open carrying. I'm not sure I am informed enough yet to bear that responsibility. I'm also looking for a gun club or some decent ranges in the area. I love to shoot and take friends with me who are newer to shooting. I also love to learn about shooting, or anything really.

Outside of that, I work in research at a local university. I'm heavily involved in martial arts. I love computers and tech, biology, and psychology. I'm hear to learn, spread any wisdom that I may have, and just be within a community of like minded people.

(Beaver County)

Default Re: New member from the area

Welcome to the world of carrying. It's very refreshing to see that you're not taking the responsibility of carrying lightly. There is a TON of information that you need to know to protect yourself from agressors of both the violent and mental kind. I must stress that you become EXTREMELY familiar with the laws and several court cases such as Terry v. Ohio, Heller v. DC and others before you start to OC. There are plenty of threads out there about OC and encounters with them. I have one and I know ViperGTS has one, though his is quite a bit more extensive than mine as he's been logging his much longer than I have. In any case, welcome to the community! If you're EVER unsure of something, make sure to come on here and ask. We have people VERY well versed in laws here (Gunlawyer001 whom we love dearly and deals with gun laws on a regular basis). Ultimately, at the end of the day, it's better to ask a "stupid" question (even tho in the gun world I believe there is no such thing) and have an ass clown make a jab at you than to be standing in front of a judge and/or jury trying to explain yourself. So never hesitate if you're unsure about something. Again, welcome to the community and I hope you enjoy it as much as the rest of us do!

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: New member from the area

The only handgun ranges I know of in Allegheny Co. that are open to the public are Anthony Arms in West Mifflin (though now they make you pay a yearly fee to shoot there, in addition to the hourly fee, and you have to buy ammo from them) and the one at the State Game Lands up in Wexford (also a yearly fee).

There's also the A&S Pistol Range in Youngwood in Westmoreland Co. which is just hourly fee, and you can bring your own (factory) ammo.

Anthony and A&S also allow rimfire rifles. Not sure about the state lands.

Some of the local sportsmen's clubs also have special events and shoots from time to time, that are open to the public as well.