Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

View Poll Results: Buying my first smithie 357 magnum, which one ?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • Model 19

6 13.04%
  • Model 60 chief special

3 6.52%
  • Model 66

4 8.70%
  • Model 686

33 71.74%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Pike County)

Default My first 357 S&W Magnum. Which one ?

Had my eye set on one of these 4 smithies, but my mind isn't set on one.

Model 19-4 or -5 4" (Used $450-$500)
    Model 60 Chiefs special 3" (Brand New $621)
    Model 66 no dash (Used $500-$600)
    Model 686 no dash 4" or 6" (Used $450-$600)

Please vote on the poll, comments welcome on reason.
    Last edited by Drgiggles1; December 22nd, 2012 at 04:13 PM. Reason: Added 1 last comment.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: My first 357 S&W Magnum. Which one ?

I'm a sucker for P&R models. Not a fan of small 357's(model 60). 686 no dash are sweet. So my vote goes to the 66, but if the 19 is P&R with good bluing then I would go with it.

If your intention is to shoot a lot of 357, you might want to avoid the 19/66. One of the reasons the 686 series (L-Frame) was developed was to replace the 19/66 (K-Frame) is because of frame stretch issues in the K-Frames from too much 357 magnum shooting.

The 66 is a fine gun in its own right, but do be aware of this potential downside of owning one. If you simply must shoot a regular diet of 357's, the 686 is what you probably want. If you want to shoot some 357 as an occasional treat for you and the gun while keeping a steady diet of 38, then a 19/66 would be a great choice.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by FNG19 View Post
    If your intention is to shoot a lot of 357, you might want to avoid the 19/66. One of the reasons the 686 series (L-Frame) was developed was to replace the 19/66 (K-Frame) is because of frame stretch issues in the K-Frames from too much 357 magnum shooting.

The 66 is a fine gun in its own right, but do be aware of this potential downside of owning one. If you simply must shoot a regular diet of 357's, the 686 is what you probably want. If you want to shoot some 357 as an occasional treat for you and the gun while keeping a steady diet of 38, then a 19/66 would be a great choice.
    By alot if u mean a cpl hundred thousand magnum rounds loaded hot, then I agree. Otherwise, I'm throwing the bs flag. I've never heard of "frame stretching" , but I have heard of the forcing cone cracking and top strap flame-cutting caused by shooting ALOT of 125gr hot-loaded magnums. Even then it took ALOT, many many thousand rounds and still few ppl had ever SEEN it first hand. The 686 was designed to eliminate that potential, and is a fine revolver in it's own right, albeit front-end heavy because of full underlug.

(Centre County)

You can't go wrong with 686. 6" for target shooting, and 4" for target/carrying.

GP100 is another good choice, but I'm partial to S&W myself. anything shorter is bit rough on hand when you shoot full power .357mag.
    I'd look for older one without lock tho
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

Quote Originally Posted by Sparxfly72 View Post
    Otherwise, I'm throwing the bs flag. I've never heard of "frame stretching" , but I have heard of the forcing cone cracking and top strap flame-cutting caused by shooting ALOT of 125gr hot-loaded magnums. Even then it took ALOT, many many thousand rounds and still few ppl had ever SEEN it first hand.
    Agreed on the forcing cone and top strap cutting. I recall reading about frame stretch when I first got my 66-2 (used), but I don't recall the details.

Regardless, the OP needs to be aware of these things if he's going to buy the 19/66, so I'm glad you brought them up. I'm also glad you cast doubt on the frame stretch issue. The OP should research it for himself to clear up the issue to his own satisfaction.

(Bucks County)

Please don't misinterpret my post. I meant no offense, just that I had never heard of that particular issue. I don't profess to have knowledge of all S&W history, but have read way too much on the forcing cone/top-strap flame cutting with 99.9% of those stories being spread by ppl who never saw it first hand. The K frame is not built as robust as, say a Ruger Security Six or GP100. But then again, those guns are not the works of art and balanced as a K frame. Most shooters don't shoot the amount of magnum rounds required to give problems, plain and simple. I have a S&W model 65 and occasionally shoot some big boomers through it, but not often enough to matter. If I want to shoot magnums all day, I'll bring out the model 27. I'll carry the 65 on my hip, but wouldn't carry a 686 and definitely not the 27.

I have a model 19. I've shot it a few times with .38's. Smith's just don't fit me as well as Ruger's do so I prefer Ruger's. I would sell the S&W model 19 .357 if the right person came along and wanted it. I would also sell my S&W 629 5" barrel also to the right person. Nothing wrong with S&W in any way. Ruger's just fit me and my body structure better and therefore, I have a more pleasureable experience when shooting Ruger revolver's.

CL

(Clarion County)

My 19 is circa 1975, and granted the vast majority of rounds through it have been stout 38's, it has seen its share of mag loads. These have all been with bullet weights is the 158-162 gr range. Think somewhere along the line it was proposed the lighter bullets (125gr) with a powder like Win296 or H110 added to the story of forcing cone issues. Personally would love to find one with a 2 to 3" barrel on it. FYI: http://thefiringline.com/Misc/librar...ver-check.html
    It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.

(Pike County)

My intention for the gun is not to shoot heavy. It will not be my carry piece. I have heard of the issues with the 19/66 models but am not deterred as like i said, it will be lightly fired. Just want to have fun with it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast