Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default Mossberg 500 tactical 12 gauge 18.5 Accessory questions

Just picked up my Mossberg 500 tactical 12 gauge 18.5 shotgun and am looking to add some accessories to it. One thing I do want to get is a light to put on it. Any suggestions on a light and rail to add. I picked up a Nebo elite hp190 light from walmart just because they had it. Anyone know what kind of rail to get for it? Should I even keep it or go for something else?

Any other accessories you have or would like to share please let me know!

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Mossberg 500 tactical 12 gauge 18.5 Accessory questions

Since the biggest weakness a shotgun suffers from is its limited capacity, the first thing I usually advise students to add to their gun is a good receiver-mounted shell holder.

Receiver-mounted shell holders allow excellent economy of motion since they locate extra shells mere inches from both the chamber and mag tube opening. I have Mesa Tactical shell holders on all my tactical shotguns, but there are other good ones available.
    Steve: NJ State Trooper #3936 (retired), NRA LE Firearms Instructor

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by XTrooper View Post
    Since the biggest weakness a shotgun suffers from is its limited capacity, the first thing I usually advise students to add to their gun is a good receiver-mounted shell holder.

Receiver-mounted shell holders allow excellent economy of motion since they locate extra shells mere inches from both the chamber and mag tube opening. I have Mesa Tactical shell holders on all my tactical shotguns, but there are other good ones available.
    The gun did come with a 6 shell holder on my ati stock. I like it very much and the shells stay nice and snug.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Papman29 View Post
    The gun did come with a 6 shell holder on my ati stock. I like it very much and the shells stay nice and snug.
    Assuming you are right-handed and the shell holder is mounted on the right side of the stock, can you shoot your gun left-handed without having your cheek torn up by the carrier? If so, you're good to go.

Just keep in mind that the buttstock is a good deal farther away from the chamber and mag tube than the receiver and it will cost you time when reloading, but you're still way ahead of the game because at least you have 6 extra shells at your disposal whereas some don't have any.

Regarding a light, does your Nebo have an LED bulb? If not, try to find a replacement for it that does. LED bulbs are much better at holding up to recoil than standard bulbs. As far as mounts go, you can find fairly inexpensive clamp type ones that should do the trick for you. In fact, I believe Nebo makes shotgun light mounts themselves.

Other than that, I don't think of the many other accessories you can add to a shotgun are what I'd consider "essential."
    Last edited by XTrooper; December 22nd, 2012 at 06:10 PM.

(Luzerne County)

Assuming you are right-handed and the shell holder is mounted on the right side of the stock, can you shoot your gun left-handed without having your cheek torn up by the carrier? If so, you're good to go.

Just keep in mind though that the buttstock is a good deal farther away from the chamber and mag tube than the receiver and it will cost you time when reloading.

Regarding a light, does your Nebo have an LED bulb? If not, try to find a replacement for it that does. LED bulbs are much better at holding up to recoil than standard bulbs. As far as mounts go, you can find fairly inexpensive clamp type ones that should do the trick for you. In fact, I believe Nebo makes shotgun light mounts themselves.

Though there are many other accessories you can add to a shotgun, I don't think any of the others are what I'd consider "essential."

(Luzerne County)

Just picked up my Mossberg 500 tactical 12 gauge 18.5 shotgun and am looking to add some accessories to it. One thing I do want to get is a light to put on it. Any suggestions on a light and rail to add. I picked up a Nebo elite hp190 light from walmart just because they had it. Anyone know what kind of rail to get for it? Should I even keep it or go for something else?

Any other accessories you have or would like to share please let me know!
    Nebo makes a nice mount. they have a website. I have seen them on ebay also.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Berks County)

i really like the Hogue stock tamer pistol grip on my tactical shotgun, also the pistol forearm grip is a nice touch.

(Beaver County)

I have heard mixed reviews on the Nebo lights but haven't tried them myself. The only light I've used that has survived the long term abuse of being mounted on a 12 gauge pump is the Streamlight TLR-1S. Mine has been on the 870, AR, M9 and back on the 870. Indestructable. They can be had for around $100 and are well worth the investment. The 123 batteries are expensive but I use my TLR regularly for room clearing and doing reloading drills in the dark and it took me over a year to kill the batteries that came with it. As for a mount, CDM makes low profile, high quality rail mounts. I use a BMT on my 870. Mesa Tactical, Nordic Components both make a good magazine tube mount as well. There's also the option of buying a Mako tri rail handguard or something similar and mounting it on there. I prefer my light to be at the base of the magazine tube, on the forend gets in the way for me but it may work just fine for you.

You do have more options than just Tacstar or Mesa Tactical. There are velcro shotshell cards out there by SOE, Esstac, 3GunGear and a lot of people like them. They can used, torn off and replaced. I use Esstac shotshell cards on my 930 and a Mesa Tactical sureshell on my 870. I recommend either one.

You need one of these, for the simplest rail system possible. Fits 500 like a fActory glove. Gives you option of using a good weapon light with just a tail cap switch rather than wired pressure switch. Clean. Efficient.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/SCP-837

Traditionalists hate them, but love my knoxx specops recoil reducing adjustible stock. Also make a sidesaddle/cheekpiece if you want. Makes it enjoyable to shoot 3" buckshot. Faster back on target.

Rifle sites or ghost rings (that's another argument). Either way, real sites nice backup for whatever else you might put on it. Keep it versatile. Can always toss some slugs at bottom of the tube.