Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Cumberland County)

Default Re: PICS System overload

Walmart spent like 20 minutes waiting to process me for my purchase. Just bought a Ruger 10/22. Wanted something I could shoot often since 9mm ammo seems to be scarce.
    This is my second gun after my SR9c(funny another Ruger) and I can't wait to give it a run at the range. Also kind of want to find a range where I can use more than 3 bullets in a magazine at the state ranges. Plus I want to get a few of those 25 round mags for it. I noticed dicks sporting goods has a rack for them. They were just sold out.
    I don't understand why the phone call portion would be the defining reasons to delay the purchase. Especially if they have 45 fricken days to accomplish it. That is a LONG time. I know one month my GI bill payment was delayed by a few days but they had 20k+ checks to sign.

(Washington County)

Dick's did not run out of the greater than 10 round mags, the decided to throw gun owner under the PC bus. I will not buy anything from them again.

(Berks County)

About a month ago (pre-Connecticut shooting), I purchased a Ruger SR9C at the Handgunner in Topton. At that point, the storm was was still calm and I was one of maybe 5 people in the shop at the time. I was in and out of there in about 20 minutes with my gun, as the background check took nearly 5 minutes.

Fast forward to a day after the shooting. Went to Shyda's of Lebanon and ended up purchasing a Glock 23 (didn't expect to buy another gun that day but couldn't help myself after picking it up). At that point they still had plenty in stock. Everything from ammo, to reloading gear (yes even primers) to guns themselves were plentiful. However, my background check took about an hour to complete, which was expected seeing as how many people were there. Later that night I went to Cabelas to pick a few things up, and the wait time for the background check had increased to over 4 hours. Glad I was at Shyda's when I was or else I never would have gotten through.

Again, fast forward to last week when I went to apply for my LTCF. Got there right at 10 in the morning when they opened, and by 10:30, PICS was down and I too was told it would be mailed to me.

(Lackawanna County)

I went to the most popular LGS around here (Northern Colorado) this morning. This place usually has tons of whatever you want. The place was wiped out. Zero ARs. Zero AKs. No 223 ammo. Their ammo selection is usually great burt they were just out of certain clibers. I wanted to get some 380 but there was none. They only had a few boxes of 9mm left. There were still some handguns but nothing like it usually is. And the wait for the background check to go through was 9 days. Crazy.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    While PICS is adding to the problems - the entire background check system is overburdened at the moment. My dad who lives in Florida just bought a gun using NICS and there was a 5 hour wait to get through.
    It's not overburdened, it's poorly designed.
    Amazon handles about the number of transactions on their busiest day that PICS does all year. If they had an incentive to keep response times down, they'd be down.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by middlefinger View Post
    i heard last night that in the last 2 weeks an estimated 10 million guns and a billion rounds of ammo have been sold
    That's crazy, it's close to the total for all of 2008 IIRC.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Kabloosh View Post
    Walmart spent like 20 minutes waiting to process me for my purchase. Just bought a Ruger 10/22. Wanted something I could shoot often since 9mm ammo seems to be scarce.
    This is my second gun after my SR9c(funny another Ruger) and I can't wait to give it a run at the range. Also kind of want to find a range where I can use more than 3 bullets in a magazine at the state ranges. Plus I want to get a few of those 25 round mags for it. I noticed dicks sporting goods has a rack for them. They were just sold out.
    I don't understand why the phone call portion would be the defining reasons to delay the purchase. Especially if they have 45 fricken days to accomplish it. That is a LONG time. I know one month my GI bill payment was delayed by a few days but they had 20k+ checks to sign.
    If they can't get through you can't get your gun.
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

(Wayne County)

I don't know. I went to LGS past Wednesday at around 10am. Went through pics in a matter of few minutes.

(Butler County)

i just bought a springfield 1911 at big bucks in wexford today. Price was a little high but i was having a hard time even finding a 1911, and this one came with crimson trace laser grips already. I waited over an hour for the phone call portion. Dude at the counter told me they have 100+ ARs on order and .223-5.56 is back ordered for weeks.
    PETA - People Eating Tasty Animals

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by mpan72 View Post
    If they can't get through you can't get your gun.
    I'm sorry I was referring to LTCF permits not weapons purchases. I understand if they can't make the call you can't buy the gun. Of course I'm sure shops are willing to wait all day especially if that is their main source of income. The sheriffs office has a long time to go over the information and contact PCIS. They really shouldn't be letting stuff chill on their desk for 40 some odd days and then deciding to do it at the last minute.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast