Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default My new Sig 229 Jams

I have found that my new Sig 229 in 9mm jams sometimes (more often than not) when I try to chamber a round unless I "let it fly" (pull the slide back and let it go and slam forward) or use the slide release from a locked position.

Anyone else have trouble with this in their sigs? My G 23 will chamber a round no matter how slow I go with the slide, I could honestly chamber it almost silently if I went that slow and it would not jam.

Are you supposed to/ do you always "let it fly" or use the slide release? If a Glock would chamber a round slowly I figured a good quality Sig would.

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: My new Sig 229 Jams

Does it chamber ok once it starts cycling on its own?
    Could just be that it's a little tight, or that it does not like the ammo, though most sigs seem to eat anything.
    Try different ammo and run a couple hundred through, I assume you did strip and clean first?

Quote Originally Posted by vapochilled View Post
    Does it chamber ok once it starts cycling on its own?
    Could just be that it's a little tight, or that it does not like the ammo, though most sigs seem to eat anything.
    Try different ammo and run a couple hundred through, I assume you did strip and clean first?
    Yes, I shot it once (several hundred rounds of Tull, and various other Ammos) and I had no troubles with it at the range, it is only when I want to chamber a round "nicely" It jammed like that with various types of ammo when chambering it slowly, although I do need to shoot this carry Ammo, Hornady Critical Defense, to make sure it does cycle well for carry.
    Last edited by Nucking Futs; December 22nd, 2012 at 11:18 AM.

My Sig 2022 does the same thing. It has never really been a problem since I carry +1 anyway, and I have never had a FTF or FTE with any type of ammo (can't even remember all the brands I have shot through it).
    will that extra 15% matter? not as much as being able to put one in their face. ~Edg

(Chester County)

You ALWAYS should let the slide fly. The gun is not made to have you lower the slide slowly, nor is there really any reason to. Think about what is happening when a round is getting chambered, it takes energy.

(Montgomery County)

My suggestion would be to send it back to Sig. They're VERY good at taking care of the customer and will usually send you a shipping label to get it back to them. Have a Sig gunsmith look at it so that you can put your mind at ease. You'll be about two weeks without the gun.

+1 That is the correct way to chamber a round, almost any semi-auto can/will jam up you try to ease the slide forward. Just pull it back fully and let it fly or drop the slide release.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRookie View Post
    You ALWAYS should let the slide fly. The gun is not made to have you lower the slide slowly, nor is there really any reason to. Think about what is happening when a round is getting chambered, it takes energy.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by TheRookie View Post
    What he said^. Dont let the slide forward slow. Thats a good way to have your slide not get into battery and cause your gun to jam. Drop it like its hot.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by JW1914 View Post
    What he said^. Dont let the slide forward slow. Thats a good way to have your slide not get into battery and cause your gun to jam. Drop it like its hot.
    Everything he said! Let it fly, that is the proper way!
    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Will be letting it fly from now on. Dead Thread

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast