Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Nascar Ride Along

Hello guys--

Wife loves nascar, I don't even watch it! I was thinking about getting her a 3-lap ride along at Pocono.

Do you guys know if its good to go? Any recommendations.

Default Re: Nascar Ride Along

It is GTG. A few friends have done it. They loved it. Also have a friend who did it at Dover, said the banking was sick.

You really wanna buck up, get her the class instruction package and they'll let YOU DRIVE. Guy I know did it, hit 175-180mph. This was at Pocono.
    and to the dust you shall return

Great info, thanks, wife does not drive stick so not sure if you could do it, but I will look into it right now.

Thanks for the info, she would never expect this. Should be fun.

By the way love th Xmas lamp pic...I remember him saying, " Fragile", must be French...))) Love that movie

Quote Originally Posted by blueskiesPA View Post
    By the way love th Xmas lamp pic...I remember him saying, " Fragile", must be French...))) Love that movie
    ALL DAY LONNNNG, cant wait.
    and to the dust you shall return

(Lackawanna County)

I did the ride along a few years ago. absolutely awesome.

When you come out of pit lane and into turn 1 at 150 mph for the first time, it blew me away that we could go that fast through a turn and not wreck. It's like the car is on rails!. Funny thing was that on the way home I was doing 80 mph on rte.80 and felt like i was crawling.

(Westmoreland County)

I've been fortunate to have had the opportunity to take the Richard Petty Driving Experience twice, once at Disney Speedway and the second time at Las Vegas Motor Speedway. My g/f at the time got me both as presents, and let me tell you, it was fantastic. She did not drive a stick, so I got her a ride-along at Las Vegas, and she loved it.

LV is set up exactly like Charlotte, a 1.5 mile tri-oval, with similar if not identical banking. Disney was a 1-mile tri-oval. Let me tell you, my FIRST lap at LV was faster than my FASTEST lap at Disney. At Disney, you would roll into the throttle and just as the car was starting to fly, you had to lift to take the next turn. Vegas has a back stretch that feels like it goes on for miles. And I don't care what anyone says, when you have to turn left at 160, you find out if you have COJONES!!

You follow a pace car in front of you driven by a race driver, and there are square white marks that show you a line around the track. If you are comfortable with the speed, they will take you faster and faster each lap. You never really get to within 20mph of what the cars can handle on the edge, but speed definitely takes some building up a tolerance for.

Lap times showed that I was able to hit 165 on the back stretch at LV. Seems like yesterday, that was over a birthday trip to Vegas in 2000.

10 laps in Disney, 8 laps in LV for an equivalent package was about $300 for each experience. I paid $90 for her ride along in LV.