Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: LTCF Renewal...

(Lehigh County)

Default LTCF Renewal...

is the statute about the sheriffs office having to send out a notification about renewal a state law? or is it left up to the discretion of the county sheriff? i remember someone on here posting something about them having to send out a form within 30 days of needing to renew your licence.... i just realized that mine expired in late november... i know im covered for like 3-6 months or something like that but was jst wondering about that..

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: LTCF Renewal...

Quote Originally Posted by Bigrepp61 View Post
    i just realized that mine expired in late november... i know im covered for like 3-6 months or something like that but was jst wondering about that..
    you are? I thought when it expires, like your drivers license, it is no longer valid and therefore you are breaking the law. can you please post where you got this "law"

Here are the statutes for the two items in question:

(2) At least 60 days prior to the expiration of each license, the issuing sheriff shall send to the licensee an application for renewal of license. Failure to receive a renewal application shall not relieve a licensee from the responsibility to renew the license.

================================================== ================

(b) Exceptions.--The provisions of subsection (a) shall not apply to:

<SNIP>
    (12) A person who has a lawfully issued license to carry a firearm pursuant to section 6109 (relating to licenses) and that said license expired within six months prior to the date of arrest and that the individual is otherwise eligible for renewal of the license.

The sheriff's computer system is supposed to generate the renewal notification 60 days prior to expiration. Obviously it failed you in this regard.

18PCS, 6106 (b) (12) (Firearms not to be carried without a license) does provide that a person who is eligible for renewal, and had a valid LTCF which expired within 6 months of date of arrest, is exempt from prosecution for carrying without a license.

Simply put, it's a defense clause. But you have to be arrested first for carrying without a license to claim the legal exemption.

We have many more really stupidly written statutes. look them up for you entertainment! And renew your LTCF, ASAP.

You beat me to it goon.

The issuing authority (the sheriff, except in Philly) only has to mail a notice to the last address that he has for you.

That's why I suggest to folks that they update their new address with the sheriff, even if they move to a new county. If the license expires, or if the sheriff revokes it, that's something that you really, really want to know.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Lehigh County)

i am in Lehigh county, had my ltcf since 1983, not once did i ever get a notice. I did not know I had 6 months after it expired, I even asked them once, when I noticed mine and had a week to go, they said I couldn't carry until I received my new one in the mail. I wish all counties would have a set of rules that they must follow, seems like different counties have different rules, and of course, we have no recourse. What can I do since I never got a notice about mine?