Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Underwood Ammo 10mm 155gr Gold Dot Ballistics Gel Test & Results

I test out the Underwood Ammo 155gr Gold Dot 10mm load in the Clear Ballistics FBI gel block (calibrated to mfg specs) with 4 layers of denim with the Gen4 Glock 20 (factory spring).

Chrono Data (average):

1443 fps, 716 ft/lbs energy

155gr retained weight

.812 average expansion

13.5'' penetration

As you'll see in the video, the bullet holds up pretty well with only minor deformation.

Default Re: Underwood Ammo 10mm 155gr Gold Dot Ballistics Gel Test & Results

I'd be cool if you could show us a slow mo of the temporary wound channel like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7w4M-LNXuQ

If the .357 does what it does at 1405 fps and at 125 grains, what in tarnation is the round you demonstrate doing at 1450 fps and 155 grains? Never the less, the round you test would be devastating to what ever it hits, tissue wise. Keep the tests coming! Oh yea, some people talk about the 10 mm recoil being less than desirable. You demonstrate it is quite controllable.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

I'd be cool if you could show us a slow mo of the temporary wound channel like this:
    It would be cool but unfortunately my video editing software is old as dirt and doesn't have that capability. But, depending on which site you watch the video on (youtube or here) you may have the ability to slow it down using the settings button.

Oh yea, some people talk about the 10 mm recoil being less than desirable. You demonstrate it is quite controllable.
    It's certainly much different than firing a 9mm but recoil control is much more about the indian than the arrow.

(Beaver County)

I shoot 10mm out of 3 different guns. While the G29 is a bit snappy the 1911 frame and the 1006 soak up most of the recoil pretty good. With out a doubt its a lot more about the shooter. I would even admit that some polymer framed 9mm's I have shot feel to have more recoil than 10mm out of a full sized metal chassis gun. But I also shoot a 500S&W so my recoil sensitivity could be a bit off. Hell I might even be a bit "off".

Note I shoot hand loaded 10's that average 1400-1500 FPS so I'm not shooting wimpy store bought plinkin ammo.
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by plouffedaddy View Post

recoil control is much more about the indian than the arrow.
    Agreed.....
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

It penetrated a little farther and held together a little better than I thought. A bone in the mix would probably tear that bullet apart though.