Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Sending a Note to Springfield Mall RE: Code of Conduct

I sent this message over to the Springfield Mall this morning, via their contact page on their website.

Good morning,

I hope this message finds you well. I am sending you this note to ask a question about the Code of Conduct, number 8. "The carrying of any weapon, other than by an authorized law enforcement or security
    officer, is not permitted."

Other malls have this same stipulation and attempt to create what are known as "Gun Free Zones," in which people are not "permitted" to responsibly carry their legally owned firearms as they might when they are elsewhere for the purpose of self-defense, or who may have a license from the state of Pennsylvania to do so.

I personally find this policy to be confusing, since those who would wish to do harm to shoppers or stores in the mall would not likely be concerned about obeying this kind of rule, and therefore the only people it has any effect on are those who are responsible and law-abiding shoppers who merely wish to buy things for their families. I would be one of the latter, while Sylvia Seegrist would be a member of the former. As I am sure you're aware, Sylvia was not very concerned about what the "rules" were at the time.

I send this message to you in the hopes that you will take some time to have a longer look at the policy that forbids people from carrying firearms in your mall. In light of the tragic events in Aurora, CO and Newtown, CT, we know that attempting to create a "weapons free environment" only creates a false sense of security for those who actually believe that criminals pay attention to signs and Codes of Conduct. People such as myself, however, who safely and responsibly exercise their right to defend themselves and their families, are good, morally sound people who simply wish to be able to shop without fearing being removed from the mall by a security force that would have significantly less ability to stop an active shooter than an armed civilian would, as was very recently the case in a Clackamas Town Center mall in Oregon. In that instance, a man who was legally armed was able to stop an active shooter from continuing his killing spree, without even firing his weapon, simply by showing the criminal that he was armed and ready to stop the threat.

I live less than two miles from the Springfield Mall, in Media. I like your mall very much and would like to continue shopping there, however, I am afraid that I will have to take my money elsewhere if serious consideration is not given to this matter. Forcing good people to check their ability to defend themselves and others at the door only serves to create a higher possibility that someone may be injured in the event of an incident like those we see on the news every few weeks, because when seconds count, the police are fifteen minutes away.

Please do not hesitate to contact me regarding this matter. My phone number is (pho) ne#-rmvd, and my email should be enclosed in this message. I would love an opportunity to sit down and discuss this with someone in person, should that be a possibility.

Thank you, and have a wonderful holiday season,

Mark
    I'll update this thread if I hear back.

(Franklin County)

Default Re: Sending a Note to Springfield Mall RE: Code of Conduct

Looks good, keep us posted on the response.

Quote Originally Posted by ViperGTS19801 View Post
    I sent this message over to the Springfield Mall this morning, via their contact page on their website.

Do you always have to be a trouble maker
    Love it I like that you do more than talk. I been writing representatives and commenting on online articles, but think I need to take it to the next step and start sending letters questioning their gun free policies.

(Franklin County)

I may have to borrow your letter and update it for the Chambersburg Mall here. It seems they are owned by the same company, Preit, and they have the exact same code of conduct as Springfield Mall.

What are ya... some kinda gun nut????????

Good job, as always, Viper. I hope you get some dialog going with them about this

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Doughdaddy View Post
    I may have to borrow your letter and update it for the Chambersburg Mall here. It seems they are owned by the same company, Preit, and they have the exact same code of conduct as Springfield Mall.
    Please do... Although that call is a piece of sh*t, it would be nice to be able to feel safe when shopping or going to their theater...

Those in management at the mall probably don't care even a little about you taking your business elsewhere, but I'd bet the stores might. It could prove daunting, but how about trying to send a copy of your letter to management of the various stores located in the mall. You might get better results; possibly the stores could pressure mall management to change their policy.

(Venango County)

Quote Originally Posted by Doughdaddy View Post
    Yes the same groups owns the Washington Crown Center here in Washington county and if you all could do me a favor and write to the Washington County Sportsmens Assc. and voice your disapproval of them holding there annual Sportsmans day at the Crown Center it would be helpful too.

here is the sportsmens link www.wcsportsmen.com

(Franklin County)

I changed Viper's version some, let me know what you think and I will send it. I tried to show the good side of carrying as well.

Good morning,

I hope this message finds you well. I am sending you this note to ask a question about the Code of Conduct on your website for the Chambersburg Mall; “8. The carrying of any weapon, other than by an authorized law enforcement or security officer, is not permitted.”

Other malls have this same stipulation in an attempt to create what are known as "Gun Free Zones". The issue with these “Gun Free Zones” is that they do not work. They instead create “victim zones”, which is an area devoid of legally armed people, and subjects them to criminals whose only desire is to do harm, create chaos and commit murder. I personally find this policy to be confusing, since those who would wish to do harm to shoppers or stores in the mall, are not concerned about obeying this kind of rule since they are there to do much worse.

In light of the tragic events in Aurora, CO and Newtown, CT, we know that attempting to create a "weapons free environment" only creates a false sense of security for those who actually believe that criminals pay attention to signs or Codes of Conduct. People such as myself however, who safely and responsibly exercise their right to defend themselves and their families, are good and morally sound people who simply wish to be able to shop without the fear of being the victims of a mall shooting without any defense.

Recently a shooting took place at Clackamas Town Center in Oregon. In that instance, a man, Nick Meli, who was legally carrying a concealed weapon was able to stop an active shooter from continuing his killing spree. Without even firing his weapon, Mr. Meli simply by showing the criminal that he was armed and ready to stop the threat, prevented countless additional lives from being lost.

This is a brief list of mass shootings that were stopped by armed civilians.
    • A 1997 high school shooting in Pearl, Miss., was halted by the school's vice principal after he retrieved the Colt .45 he kept in his truck.
    • A 1998 middle school shooting ended when a man living next door heard gunfire and apprehended the shooter with his shotgun.
    • A 2002 terrorist attack at an Israeli school was quickly stopped by an armed teacher and a school guard.
    • A 2002 law school shooting in Grundy, Va., came to an abrupt conclusion when students carrying firearms confronted the shooter.
    • A 2007 mall shooting in Ogden, Utah, ended when an armed off-duty police officer intervened.
    • A 2009 workplace shooting in Houston, Texas, was halted by two coworkers who carried concealed handguns.
    • A 2012 church shooting in Aurora, Colo., was stopped by a member of the congregation carrying a gun.
    • 12/11/2012 Clackamas Towne Center Portland, Ore., the gunman took his own life minutes after being confronted by a shopper carrying a concealed weapon.
    • 12/18/2012 A San Antonio movie theatre shooting was ended after an off-duty police officer shot the perpetrator as he shot at patrons in the theatre lobby wounding one

My family and I, as well as hundreds of legally armed shoppers, ask that you review this policy and allow the lawful carry of firearms at your facility.

Thank you,

Quote Originally Posted by ViperGTS19801 View Post

Would it be ok to copy this, make needed changes, and email to our local malls?

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast