Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Centre County)

Default State College / M&P questions

Hi,

I've lurked on the boards for a few months now, just made an account to ask questions. So in advance, thanks for the forum -- it has been very helpful.

I'm looking at purchasing my first handgun and have narrowed it down (I think) to M&P 9mm or .40 S&W. (Something like this) The reviews I've read are all outstanding and, being a lefty, I appreciate the ambidextrous safety and reversible mag release.

My only hesitation is that I've never shot this model before. I've shot Glocks before, both 19 and 21 -- but never this model or even a S&W. And after some quick googling, I'm not sure there is a place nearby where I could test the weapon before committing to purchase it. So I guess my first question is, does anyone know of any place near State College that I would be able to rent & shoot this model? I own a car so driving a while isn't a big deal. I'd rather drive a while and be happy with the gun than blindly purchase it.

My second question, does anyone have experience with this model? Or any experience as a lefty with the M&P line?

Lastly, I know there's a cool guy on here who lives near State College and is an FFL who offers to accept gun shipments and complete the transaction if I end up purchasing the weapon online -- I believe it was Xringshooter -- am I right?

I think thats it for now. If I end up purchasing it, I'm sure I'll have more questions about good places nearby to shoot as well as the Centre County CCL procedures. Thanks in advance for any help and thanks for the great resource.

(Centre County)

Default Re: State College / M&P questions

M&P9C was my CCW pistol for a long time(until I replaced it with Kahr).
    I actually had 3 of them. M&P9, M&P9C, and M&P45.

I can tell you that its a great pistol, and with replacable back strap, it'll be sure to fit your hand.

I recently bought a G22, but was debating between G22 and M&P40 until very last min.

They are generally very good gun right out of box.
    My only recommendation would be to consider a trigger job or drop in trigger kit.
    They are good triggers, but I perfer little shorter reset, and take up.

Somebody around StateCollege ought to have M&P's that you can try out
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

(Columbia County)

Welcome to the forum! I have only shot an M&P pistol a couple times (40 and 9) since I don't own one. It is a very ergonomic pistol, but the trigger leaves something to be desired. Although with the introduction of the Shield and S&W transitioning all M&Ps to the newer trigger, they are probably good to go right out of the box.

I'm sure Ron (Xringshooter) will be along shortly to answer your questions about his business. I can say from experience that he is a great guy to deal with. His fees are reasonable and he has gone out of his way for me a couple times.

Your PA LTCF can be obtained at the Sheriff's Office in Bellefonte. You'll be in and out in about 20 minutes for $20 as long as you pass.
    They let me play with chemicals!

(Centre County)

jheiv,
    Welcome to the forum.

Yes, I do transfers for people that buy on line. My rates are a sliding scale, the more you transfer at one time the cheaper the per item charge is.

Normally it is one at a time (other than a few people that buy multiple AR lowers at one time). The charge for a transfer is $20. That is for everthing needed to transfer the gun.

I don't know of a business that has any M&P's that you can try (live fire). You could probably go to Grices or Bob's in Clearfield to hold one. I know a good many people that have them, from 9mm up to .45ACP and I've not heard any complaints.

If you have any questions, just post them here and you'll get a lot of good answers from ther folks here, or you can PM me at any time and I'll try to help you out.

Ron
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by fishingfool151 View Post
    Your PA LTCF can be obtained at the Sheriff's Office in Bellefonte. You'll be in and out in about 20 minutes for $20 as long as you pass.
    Thanks for the help, you were spot on. The process was very straightforward -- it seemed like they've been getting a lot of these requests recently.

(Centre County)

Thanks Ron. I'll probably check out Grice's tomorrow. It looks like their price for that model is competitive with Buds -- and since I'm not familiar with other reputable online sellers, I may go with Grice's and not end up needing your services after all. If I do, I'll shoot you a PM. Thanks for the help!

(Centre County)

Well, I'm here if you need me.

Grices is the biggest gun shop in this area, normally with a lot of guns you can check out. However, when you go to Grices, and if you find a gun you want, before doing anything else, ask them to give you the final, out the door price. That price should include everything, the selling price, any charge they do for the background check, PA sales tax, everything. Don't let them hem and haw around, if they won't give you the exact amount you will have to pay to get it out the door, then you might want to rethink the decision. I have had people tell me that they went to buy a gun there and got a price but once they hit the cash register they (Grices) tried to tack on a bunch of other charges. Now, this may be considered heresay, but the people who told me this I trust explicitly, they have never lied or told me an untrue story.

I always advise people who are shopping for a gun to get the out the door price. If the gun shop won't give it to you up front, I would be very leery. When someone wants me to special order a gun for them, before I ever order it I will work up the out the door price and let them know so they can decide on what they want to do.

Gun buying can be fun, just don't let someone talk you into something you don't want (it happens more often than you think).

Once you get your gun, just post here and see if anyone is going to Scotia to shoot, or post that you are going and when you will be there and I'm sure there will be people reply and tell you they'll see you out there. BTW, in case you didn't know, you have to have a range permit or a PA hunting license to shoot out there now. The hunting license is cheaper but if you haven't ever had one or had the hunter safety course, the range permit might be the cheaper/more timely way to go. You can get it on line at the PGC web site, IIRC it is $30. Oh, and it doesn't matter what time of year, people will always be up for some shooting if others want to brave the weather.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    BTW, in case you didn't know, you have to have a range permit or a PA hunting license to shoot out there now. The hunting license is cheaper but if you haven't ever had one or had the hunter safety course, the range permit might be the cheaper/more timely way to go. You can get it on line at the PGC web site, IIRC it is $30. Oh, and it doesn't matter what time of year, people will always be up for some shooting if others want to brave the weather.
    He can tag along with my permit. I always welcome new shooting buddy

(Mifflin County)

Everyone heads for Grices and most drive right by Belding & Mull as you head into Phillipsburg. They are small but have always treated me well, even when I was not planning to buy the gun.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by mark61 View Post
    Everyone heads for Grices and most drive right by Belding & Mull as you head into Phillipsburg. They are small but have always treated me well, even when I was not planning to buy the gun.
    I don't think their prices are that great. But I always was treated well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast