Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default How Easy Is It to Get Assistance with Buying a Home Defense Pistol

I live in Southeast PA and I'm looking to buy a home defense pistol.

I took a private session on safety and firing a few years back but haven't handled a firearm since. I'm a bit intimidated to go to a store and pick something out and I'm wondering if ranges are helpful with assisting a buyer pick out a firearm.

I was considering a shotgun as well but I don't have the space for an effective safe for the gun at this time.

Thanks for your thoughts.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: How Easy Is It to Get Assistance with Buying a Home Defense Pistol

Go to a good, reputable gun shop and the guy behind the counter should be helpful and know his stuff...I like the Handgunner shop in Topton. They know what they're talking about. Or handle a bunch and come on here, asking opinions - you'll get a lot of feedback.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Uew View Post

I took a private session on safety and firing a few years back but haven't handled a firearm since. I'm a bit intimidated to go to a store and pick something out and I'm wondering if ranges are helpful with assisting a buyer pick out a firearm.

I was considering a shotgun as well but I don't have the space for an effective safe for the gun at this time.

I live in upper bucks and work in central bucks. If you wanted to meet at Tanners I would be more than willing to help with the process. Tanners if 5 minutes from my work and always fun to go into.
    Look to the One Who is wearing what should have been your scars...

(Chester County)

French Creek Outfitters in Phoenixville, King's Shooter supply in King of Prussia, Seneca Arms in Green Lane.... All good shops.
    Μολὼν λάβε

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by tigermagnum View Post
    Go to a good, reputable gun shop and the guy behind the counter should be helpful and know his stuff...I like the Handgunner shop in Topton. They know what they're talking about. Or handle a bunch and come on here, asking opinions - you'll get a lot of feedback.
    Thanks for the recommendation. Do you know if they have a range? I'd like to try out the firearms to decide which works best for me.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by PisnNapalm View Post
    French Creek Outfitters in Phoenixville, King's Shooter supply in King of Prussia, Seneca Arms in Green Lane.... All good shops.
    Thanks for the recommendations. I live close to Green Lane and will have to check out Seneca.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by ddefazio View Post
    I live in upper bucks and work in central bucks. If you wanted to meet at Tanners I would be more than willing to help with the process. Tanners if 5 minutes from my work and always fun to go into.
    Tanners in Jamison? I'll have to see if I can break away to get out there. I would appreciate help from an experienced shooter. I'll see when I can get out that way and be in touch.

Are there any days that work best for you? Thanks for the offer!

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by Uew View Post

Another member who lives close to to has offered to help you, i suggest you take him up on that offer, also, think about over penetration when shooting inside a home, get a shotgun designed for home defense and use a trigger lock that uses a key to operate it, this for now will do until you get more guns and a safe to keep them in.
    Government 99 and 44/100 % pure bullshit.

(Franklin County)

Do some research online and especially on this website... 5 or 6 questions should get you close to the pistol thats right for you, after that its a matter of price, brand, and preference...

1. Do you want a revolver or Semi-Auto pistol
    2. Do you want a Single Action or a Double Action
    3. What Caliber? .357, .38 special, .380, 9mm, .40 cal, .45 cal just to name a few.
    4. Do you want it to have an extrenal safety?
    5. What is your price range?

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by redeye202 View Post
    Another member who lives close to to has offered to help you, i suggest you take him up on that offer, also, think about over penetration when shooting inside a home, get a shotgun designed for home defense and use a trigger lock that uses a key to operate it, this for now will do until you get more guns and a safe to keep them in.
    Redeye - I am going to connect with a member for help. Great to see so many gun owners reaching out to help those interested. Thanks to everybody for your response!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast