Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Cumberland County)

Default The way to protect our schools

Since we are not going to address the real problem that is the cause of these shootings we need a way to protect our schools. One armed guard per school is very expensive and ineffective. How hard is it to target a board security guard who stands around for 8 hours a day.

The FFDO program that commercial airliners have is the most cost effective government system in history. For $20,000,000 per year the pilot FFDO program is the largest police force in the country. That is less than it cost us for the President to fly somewhere and give one speech.

The program is voluntary. You must apply, be selected, pass an intense background check, pass a psych evaluation and go to training. There is a waiting list to be in the program so long that they are not even accepting new applications.

The pilots pay for everything but the gun and ammo.

No one (that doesn't need to know)knows which pilots are armed and which are not. The pilots jurisdiction is stickily on the aircraft.

Is it effective? The President doesn't think so, but the bad guys have never tried to enter the cockpit since 9/11/2001. Would you attack a school not knowing if the Principle, Teacher, Janitor or even Cafeteria worker is armed?
    Last edited by Neilthepilot; December 20th, 2012 at 09:40 AM.

(Monroe County)

Default Re: The way to protect our schools

I bet one of those pilots is named Neil Interesting concept, but the PTO will never allow it.

(Centre County)

Screw that. Just allow any personnel who possess an LCTF to carry at their option.

(Berks County)

do away with these "gun free zones".......its obvious they don't work

(Cumberland County)

Well, while I agree about the LTCF the Marshals service does an excellent job of situational training. Also like other law enforcement officers you must periodically qualify. When someone is shooting in a crowded school I would like them properly trained. I would like to avoid the New York incident where two cops sprayed 8 people while shooting 20+ rounds at one offender.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by RandomTask View Post
    Screw that. Just allow any personnel who possess an LCTF to carry at their option.
    Agree 100%. The problem is gun-free zones. I know this story has been posted a million times already here, but a school district in Texas has been allowing legal carry for over 4 years and it's working great for them. No guns have leapt out of holsters and started shooting kids yet. Texas School District Will Let Teachers Carry Guns
    "These Romans are crazy!"

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Neilthepilot View Post
    Well, while I agree about the LTCF the Marshals service does an excellent job of situational training. Also like other law enforcement officers you must periodically qualify. When someone is shooting in a crowded school I would like them properly trained. I would like to avoid the New York incident where two cops sprayed 8 people while shooting 20+ rounds at one offender.
    Those cops who shot all those bystanders weren't trained?!! Or... Are you saying that there should be a higher standard of training for people who carry in a school? If so, then do cops who carry in schools have that training? If not, why not? Aren't you worried about those poorly trained cops shooting the kids?

Also, the LTCF is good enough for crowded places like Wal-Mart during holiday shopping. Why not schools? Here's why: Because people have been brainwashed into believing that schools are sacred temples where only government-sanctioned deities are allowed to carry. Get over it.
    "These Romans are crazy!"

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Neilthepilot View Post
    I would like to avoid the New York incident where two cops sprayed 8 people while shooting 20+ rounds at one offender.
    Can't be avoided because no one ever discusses disarming the government. Put a gun in the hand of a person with a badge and the evilness of the gun magically disappears

(Lancaster County)

Our good friend in California has it right on the nailhead: http://www.usnews.com/debate-club/di...carry-firearms
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent