Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Default New to the Forum, and to buying firearms.

hello, this is my first venture into this forum so be gentle. im a former US Marine that recently finished active duty and of course i still like to shoot on occasion with my friends. my dad gave me an AR15 as a gift when i got out, and im looking at picking up a carry piece. i have shot a few hand guns in the 2 years that i have been out, and i really like what Glock has to offer. i know this may sound embarrassing, but my gun knowledge really isnt anything past what i learned in the USMC, so i consulted a friend who enjoys firearms alot, and im going to be buing a Glock 19 40mm. i shot his and it feels quite right in my hands, but i have a few questions.

how much am i gonna be looking at for a new Glock 19?

can anyone point me to a good store close to Bangor PA to buy, my friend says army/navy in whitehall, but im open to other opinion.

what can i expect from the glock 19, anyone have any warnings? or just general info?

thanks in advance.

(Northampton County)

Default Re: New to the Forum, and to buying firearms.

Go to DunkelBerger on 209 ( main st) in Stroudsburg. They are quite freindly and very helpful. I bought two guns an Springfield Armory XD-9 4" and a Springfield armory 1911 mil spec, and will buy more from them. They are having a sale right now may end in a day or so.

(Chester County)

Question... Do you already have your LTCF (License To Carry Firearms)? If not then you really ought to look into it if you are thinking of carrying.
    Μολὼν λάβε

(Westmoreland County)

Welcome tot he PAFOA! Glad to have ya aboard!

New AR15 Forum! www.AlphaRomeo15.org All AR, No Attitude!

(Chester County)

Welcome to the site!

The G19 is a 9mm not a 40 Cal you have it as 40 mm (that's big lol ) the G23 will be .40 cal.

I've seen them usually around 500 give or take 30 bucks

Also, check out Springfield XD to see what one work better for you!
    Last edited by SteveXD; March 18th, 2008 at 08:20 PM.

(Northampton County)

Hi Dave. First and foremost, THANK YOU for your service to our great country.Secondly, welcome to the forum.This is one place where the learning never stops. I'll give American Sport Shooting a plug here. You can shop anywhere you'd like, but I wouldn't buy anything before at least checking them out.
    Route 209 in Brodheadsville. Rich is a good guy.

Plinker
    My dog "Ruger" is worried about the economy because Alpo is up to $3.00 a can. That's almost $21.00 in dog money.

Pray for our troops....and a little extra for our snipers.

(Northampton County)

i went to the army navy today and took a look at their glock selection, 2 of them were to small for my hand, but the third i really liked, it was a 40 caliber model 22.

when i got home i was talking to one of my friends about it and he told me that 40 caliver is a waste of money, and a 9mm is better. anyone care to give the new guy a pro con look at 40 vs. the 9?

thanks

when dealing with anything shot placement is all that really matters.

They're all going to make holes, yes maybe some bigger than others, but it matters where you place the shot. YOU pick what feels good in your hand and thats a good start. You can decide costs of ammo etc as another deciding factor? It all depends how often you're looking to go to the range as well and if you're going to carry.

At any rate, pick what one feels right for you.

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by studderingdave View Post
    i went to the army navy today and took a look at their glock selection, 2 of them were to small for my hand, but the third i really liked, it was a 40 caliber model 22.

when i got home i was talking to one of my friends about it and he told me that 40 caliver is a waste of money, and a 9mm is better. anyone care to give the new guy a pro con look at 40 vs. the 9?

thanks
    Everybody has their opinions... 9mm, 10mm (.40), and 11mm (.45) see the big difference there? Neither do I or anybody else when looking at the numbers alone... 9mm is cheaper to shoot. I carry it. 40S&W is the happy medium between 9mm and .45acp, I carry that too. 45acp is what some people believe is the only round in the world that will kill somebody. Not true...

As for what to get, it all really depends on money. If you're one of us poor folks, 9mm is great. If you have money to burn, a .45 will work also. As always, .40 is in the middle... The slug from a .45 weighs more than both rounds, and travels slower, and also the magazine carry less ammo. The 9mm is a lighter bullet that travels faster and gives you more rounds in a mag. Also, a 9mm will penetrate deeper than a .45 and, as always, the .40 is somewhere in the middle...

If you want the .40, get it. Don't listen to who's pistol is best, or what the best round is. A gun is a tool, and just like any tool, it's only as good as the person operating it. If the gun you want is reliable, and comfortable for you to carry and shoot, there is no reason to change your mind. The G22 is a great gun. I would buy one and I don't even like Glocks.

Chazit'sallrelevantman321
    I like guns... And boobs...

(Bucks County)

nothing at all wrong with 40 caliber or 9mm, both will do the job. people who bash one round over another usually have no clue to what they are talking about. each round has it's merits and short comings but i wouldn't want to get shot by any of them. if you're unfamiliar with handguns my recommendation would be to go to a shooting range and rent a 9mm and 40 cal and then determine which round you feel most comfortable with. 9mm is a bit easier to shoot than 40 in my opinion because the 40 cal can be a bit snappy especially fired out of a polymer framed pistol. the 40 cal will also have a bit more recoil than the 9mm.

glocks are nice but take a look at the ruger, beretta, HK, SIG, S&W, pistols. you may find that one of these fit more comfortable in your hand than the glock. since your experience with handguns is limited i'd also recommend buying something with a manual safety, the glock has no manual safety other than the one in the trigger and many people have had negligent discharges. glocks are a great pistol but i wouldn't recommend them for beginners. good luck with whatever you decide.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast