Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default Late Season Archery WWYD

There is a nice 8 point running around in a 50 by 75 yard wooded area owned by the municipality between my house and the local mall. It's not posted. My question is, would you try to take this buck or not? Also, should I try and get permission from the local municipality or do you think it would be ok if I post up in there?

Default Re: Late Season Archery WWYD

It's not likely the municipal land is open to any kind of hunting. That's a pretty small piece of land. You will need to call and find out. Other than that so long as you meet the 50yd criteria you should be GTG. Sounds a bit tight to me though. I can see you plugging him, and watching him run into the mall parking lot and expiring in front of some liberals Prius....lol.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Montgomery County)

I would check with the local municipality. I few years back a friend and I were shotgunning on some similar type land. The cop that stopped us said that the township had a policy about discharging firearms, but the state codes trumped that. Point is that we got away with one, make your own luck and check. I also agree that the space is tight, I've seen hit deer go a long way on perfect shots, I wouldn't do it based on that.

(Montgomery County)

I'd ask permission first and emphasize the archery hunting part.

(Allegheny County)

I sent this email, "I was curious as to whether there are any areas in Monroeville that allow Archery hunting, specifically areas owned by the municipality. I just moved here from another city and have noticed the deer population seems quite abundant, but have not heard nor can find any information in regards to proper hunting etiquette, if hunting is allowed in the municipality. If archery hunting is allowed, how would I go about asking for permission to hunt on the land?" and this was there response, "Hunting is prohibited on any Municipal owned property. State game laws supercede Municipal ordinances, so you can hunt in Monroeville as long as you abide by the State game laws." So it looks like I should ask permission elsewhere. Anyone know a landowner in the Monroeville area that would allow archery hunting?

(Allegheny County)

So I ended up writing a letter to a guy that owns a good 90 acres close to where I live. He gave me permission to hunt and he actually lives in Florida. I went up and scoped out the land and it appears there are definitely hunters that hunt there already. So, what is the proper etiquette at this point? Do I just show up and mark my territory? I'm not sure if they have permission to hunt or not cause all I ever did was write the guy a letter, but it's not posted either. I just don't want to step on any toes. Any suggestions?

Question Re: Late Season Archery WWYD

Did you get a response from owner to your first letter ?

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by MARINE DIVISION TWO View Post
    Did you get a response from owner to your first letter ?
    The first one was an email to the municipality who said no. I wrote 2 letters though, one to this guy who said permission granted and one to another who has not responded. I was pretty excited for the guy to get back to me, it was probably my best christmas present.

(Luzerne County)

Thank you for taking the high road by asking for permission and congrats on securing permission to hunt the land. You may want to try and get back in touch wth the land owner and inquire if he has given permission to anyone else. You can score major points with a land owner if you try to form a partnership with him especially if he is having issues with trespassers.

Thank you for being a responsible sportsman.

Smile Re: Late Season Archery WWYD

Years ago I also came by in the summer to offer any labor to help out the owner or even arrange a fishing trip with him strenghtening your relationship.