Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Wayne County)

Talking Re: Taurus pt 24/7 pro

If you are looking for something with a manual safety the Smith M&P's are now available with frame mounted manual safeties.

(Berks County)

Default Re: Taurus pt 24/7 pro

I have the Taurus Millenium Pro PT140 (the 24/7's baby brother) and I'm happy with it. Finally got out to shoot it this weekend and no problems (other than my lack of familiarity with .40 cal). www.taurusarmed.net has a board just for the 24/7 and so far ive only read a few bad user reviews and those all seem to be with the earliest production models (kinks in the then new design that appear to have been worked out).

I'm considering getting a 24/7 PT140, and in my wanderings around the web i've found a few interesting analogies, my favorite being that Taurus are the "Ford and Chevy of guns" in reference to pricing. What i've found shows them to be solid reliable handguns, but looked down on by many because of the low price.

If you can afford a "Lamborgini", get it, otherwise I'll toss my recomendation behind the "family sedan" 24/7

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by synergy View Post
    Skip the Taurus....buy an XD, Glock, M&P, etc.

The Taurus IS cheaper for a reason. The customer service is awful (turn around times are in the "months" range), and you have to pay shipping to fix one of their guns that was broken on day 1.

The trigger pull, the disassembly/ reassembly procedure, the overall lack of quality control, the customer service.....all reasons to avoid Taurus auto pistols (save maybe the PT1911...)

Skip out on a trip or two the the bar, eat ramen for a couple days, and get a better made gun. You'll be happier in the long run.
    Synergy, I give you ALL the credit in the world for your extensive gun knowlege and the millions of hours spent on the range. I'm sure you've seen your share of faulty guns. I don't work at a range.....but I belong to 3 of them and I go a few times a month at least. I read your posts and it always seems that ANYONE with a gun you don't like....KA-Boom! They all go up in smoke.
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not blowin anyone from Taurus but you just told the OP that the Taurus will break in a day. Come on. I own a couple Taurus guns, a 24/7 pro 9mm and a 627 revolver. Niether has given me a problem...ever. Thats years of service and 1000's of rounds. Some of my friends own Taurus' and none of them ever had a problem. I shoot with my Taurus with people who shoot their Taurus' with no problems. I get online and read your posts about sites flying off and parts lying all over the deck.
    Assembly/disassembly is easier than my Glock. Have you ever even seen one? Really?
    Yeah, they're not $1000 pistols. If I had $1000 I'd probably buy something else. If I lost my 24/7 I'd buy another one. Theres a difference between bashing and giving an honest opinion. It's my opinion that you're a basher.
    And as far as the OP's question...my grips are the same as they were when I bought the gun. And that includes rubbing up against my fat ass belly all day for a couple years.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by pghplr View Post
    Synergy, I give you ALL the credit in the world for your extensive gun knowlege and the millions of hours spent on the range. I'm sure you've seen your share of faulty guns. I don't work at a range.....but I belong to 3 of them and I go a few times a month at least. I read your posts and it always seems that ANYONE with a gun you don't like....KA-Boom! They all go up in smoke.
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not blowin anyone from Taurus but you just told the OP that the Taurus will break in a day. Come on. I own a couple Taurus guns, a 24/7 pro 9mm and a 627 revolver. Niether has given me a problem...ever. Thats years of service and 1000's of rounds. Some of my friends own Taurus' and none of them ever had a problem. I shoot with my Taurus with people who shoot their Taurus' with no problems. I get online and read your posts about sites flying off and parts lying all over the deck.
    Assembly/disassembly is easier than my Glock. Have you ever even seen one? Really?
    Yeah, they're not $1000 pistols. If I had $1000 I'd probably buy something else. If I lost my 24/7 I'd buy another one. Theres a difference between bashing and giving an honest opinion. It's my opinion that you're a basher.
    And as far as the OP's question...my grips are the same as they were when I bought the gun. And that includes rubbing up against my fat ass belly all day for a couple years.
    Nicely put my friend!
    American by birth, Patriot by choice!

(Wayne County)

I would say go for it I have had my 24/7 PRO 40 for three years. It is 100% reliable after 5000 rounds. I have put every kind of ammo through it from Wolf to Cor-bon and 1500 reloads in all powers and configurations. It is not expensive because they actually reduced thier pricing this year. Which tells me that they have minimal problems and the company has already made back thier initial investment. Yes there is a bit of travel in Double Action on the first shot but once you find the reset point for the Single Action on follow up shots you will be amazed at how easy and consistant it is to fire. Another good sign is that you do not find many used ones for sale. Owners must like them. People do not keep Guns they do not like.

Mike Mc

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by pghplr View Post
    Did I say every Taurus will break in a day? Nope, not what I said, nor implied. That said, I have seen 4 of them which went back the day they were bought, this year alone.

The disassembly IS a pain, relative to the other models mentioned. I have taken each of them apart, showing people HOW to do it. If you allow the barrel to travel rear-wards with the slide, when you go to reinsert the pin...you can get the gun to seize up. This is VERY easy to do, when your trying to learn how to do this for the first time, or if you're in a rush. Show me another design which behaves like this.

You can pick and choose what you want to hear from my posts, if you like....Never said Glocks don't have their problems either...apparently you haven't read most of my more recent posts.

You're welcome to call me a basher. I get sick of trying to fix the damn things...and I get even more sick of customers bitching about what a piece of crap they bought.

Since you think what I have to say is just nonsense, and just based off of some personal agenda I have with Glock/ Taurus....who out there recommends Taurus pistols for serious use? Anyone? Gunsite, Valhalla, Thunder Ranch, Suarez Intenational, CSAT, InSight, EAG, Vickers Tactical, Tactical Response, Blackwater....anyone? Anyone who's made a name for them self, teaching people how to fight with a gun, ever come out and speak up for the Taurus Millennium - 24/7 series gun? Anyone....Bueller? Bueller?

You really think if they came close to the Glocks/ XD's/ SIGs/M&P's etc....all which go for $150+ more than the Taurus...that no-one would be switching over in droves to the cheaper pistol with the better warranty?

For what you can get a NEW PT111 or PT140, or 24/7 for...you can get a used Glock/ XD/ M&P. All of which outperform the Taurus by leaps and bounds. I'm not comparing it to a $1,000 pistol, I'm comparing it to the guns it competes with in size, function, and approx cost.

I swear, I need to start taking pictures...I get the same shit over on the M&P boards....you're making this up! You're nothing but a Glock fan-boy! Rar rar rar!....too bad I took pics of that stuff.

If you don't like my advice, fine. Not like your paying much for it, anyway. Just don't expect much sympathy when your Taurus/ Cobra/ Jennings/ Raven takes a dump.

If YOUR gun works well for you...great! But the odds are not in your favor w/ the Taurus's.

(Allegheny County)

I suppose the problem over at the M&P boards is the same thing here. It just seems like a high number of malfunctions. I can only speak for my guns and those I've actually seen around me. And they all work fine.
    I don't know what the volume of guns you sell at your mystery range/shop. What would you say is the percentage of Taurus' that break or go back for repair? You had four customer who had their guns break within the first 3 months of this year. What model and what was the problem? That would be useful info that could be used by people interested in buying or for those who own Taurus products. You either sell alot of them or Tuarus has some real issues and probably shouldn't be selling guns. And again, I'm no expert. I just know my experience with Taurus is that they seem to be decent guns for the price.

The disassembly IS a pain, relative to the other models mentioned. I have taken each of them apart, showing people HOW to do it. If you allow the barrel to travel rear-wards with the slide, when you go to reinsert the pin...you can get the gun to seize up. This is VERY easy to do, when your trying to learn how to do this for the first time, or if you're in a rush. Show me another design which behaves like this.
    Everything's done at slide lock on my 24/7. You lock the slide back, turn the pin 90 degrees and pull it out. Done. Reassembly.. you slide back to lock and reinsert pin. Done! Theres no manipulation of anything. Heres a video of the 24/7. You can skip thru the awards and the Steel Challenge speed record crap and in the middle of the vid is the proceedure of taking down the gun. Where is the problem in that? I know its an old video but it's still the same gun.
    http://www.taurususa.com/video/tauru...rate-video.cfm

I don't think everything you have to say is nonsence. I just think you experience a very high number of malfunctions in certain guns. It's my experience with Taurus that the people who own them seem fine with them. Yet those who don't own them "know" someone, in your case damn near everyone, who has all kinds of problems with them. Even on this board, most posts are positive towards Taurus from those who own them.
    I'm posting as a postal worker who owns firearms. (just let it go)I'm just a user of a product. You however, are posting as an industry insider if you will. And as such, I think your opinion carries a little more weight than mine. Perhaps a little more insight into what exactly you do and the volume you see at the range/shop would help put the numbers into perspective. My issue isn't with who indorses or doesn't. You're right, they don't. My reply wasn't about who makes a better gun. It's simply that my experience with this product(24/7) differs from yours. People generally don't come up to me with a ziplock bag full of parts at the end of the day. Much less have an oppertunity to take photos.
    I read your posts. Theres good info in em(for the most part) It's not personal, its just the numbers seem high to me. But if you sell 100 Taurus' a month and 4 come back, thats not good. But if you're selling 5 and 4 come back in peices.....thats criminal.
    I wouldn't put the 24/7 in the same catagory as those you mentioned, but I hope I don't have any problems with mine just the same.

(Lawrence County)

Since you think what I have to say is just nonsense, and just based off of some personal agenda I have with Glock/ Taurus....who out there recommends Taurus pistols for serious use? Anyone? Gunsite, Valhalla, Thunder Ranch, Suarez Intenational, CSAT, InSight, EAG, Vickers Tactical, Tactical Response, Blackwater....anyone? Anyone who's made a name for them self, teaching people how to fight with a gun, ever come out and speak up for the Taurus Millennium - 24/7 series gun? Anyone....Bueller? Bueller?

You really think if they came close to the Glocks/ XD's/ SIGs/M&P's etc....all which go for $150+ more than the Taurus...that no-one would be switching over in droves to the cheaper pistol with the better warranty?

If you don't like my advice, fine. Not like your paying much for it, anyway. Just don't expect much sympathy when your Taurus/ Cobra/ Jennings/ Raven takes a dump.
    C'mon....a Taurus compared to a Jennings?

I think the gun industry itself is rife with misinformation. Very few endeavors are so swayed so much by the words of "experts" with very little statistical analysis.

As a community, we argued for years about bullet penetration inside homes quoting various "Expert" opinions....until someone decided to actually shoot bullets through home materials. What a novel idea!! http://www.theboxotruth.com/

We read gun rags that are paid by the advertisements of the guns they review. Ever read a really bad review?....... Not very often. Of course, either way, it's just a sample of one gun anyhow and not statistically relevant. To even get close they'd need a random sample of about 50 of the same gun with the same usage and shooter characteristics. Even then, if one gun fails badly, it's not likely statistically significant.

I know some USPSA guys that are hammering the 24/7 Pro and not having any issues. Does this make it an exceptional gun? Of course, not. It does, however, show that some Taurus guns are very tough......as you have shown that some are likely POS. But then, neither one of our examples means a hill of beans....statistically.

I posit that people who get into the type of training at Gunsite etc. and spend the cash to do so are "into" a certain type of shooting. They read a certain type of magazine and hang out with a certain type of shooter at the range. Very few have bought a Taurus because it's not recommended by someone they respect....regardless of that persons ability to make an unbiased and valid judgement. They also have the money to afford a more expensive pistol. Many of us take for granted that $100 is a LOT of money for some people. (Hell, I hoarded two tax returns and waited 3 years to buy my STI).

Sure....guys at those schools have seen thousands of guns. So have I. Are they keeping track......pulling out the ANOVA? If not, then it's all anecdotal evidence anyhow.

I've watched "race guns" of the 2011 design shoot 100,000 rounds of HOT ammo with underpowered springs and not fail, yet these same guns are usually eschewed by the self defense community. Yet.....a $3000 Wilson Combat with 1/3 of the capacity and more weight is embraced....and the guns share 90% of the SAME INTERNALS. Why? I think it is simply because the term "race" is often lumped into it. The 2011 is associated with game shooting where it is assumed that people do not care about reliability. (Drop $100 on a major match fee and tell them they don't care....). In contrast, that same community also welcomed the Glock with open arms. If it works, it works.

In the same token, I've seen both Glocks and 2011's fail and you don't hear about it much here...why? Well, because if you pay $1000+ for a pistol you don't even want to think you got a lemon and if you bought a Glock you don't want to think that maybe they aren't totally bulletproof.

Don't get me started about the guys who spend thousands on self defense gear and training and worry about getting killed in agunfight and then show up at the range without a seat belt while eating a double whopper with cheese.......

Or the guy who get's started in USPSA and buys a $3500 gun and then sends it back to the gunsmith every year for cleaning because he can't figure out how to field strip it....and doesn't want to mess anything up. And it jams ever third round because he's using rounds way too short......

These are outlyer types of situations, but they do continue to perpetuate a lot of myths because they are the most visible on the internet and in our backyards. We tend to focus on the negative in all of our lives.

It is, however, very easy to look down upon anything that is priced cheaply.

This is the same reason I bought a Model 1 AR15 and a Hi-Point. Just to see if they really were that bad. In my experience, they aren't. Is my experience significant? Nope.

So.....everyone....

Lycantakethatforwhatit'sworththrope
    Last edited by Lycanthrope; March 21st, 2008 at 12:38 PM.

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Berks County)

Reading the forums at taurusarmed.net the only problems i've seen with the 24/7 were with the .45 acp version, the 9mm and .40 S&W's were problem free according to the users, and even the problems with the .45 acp seem to have been fixed. I can't speak from any personal experience with the 24/7, but for anyone interested in a taurus, check the forums at taurus armed.

(Lawrence County)

It felt really large in my hands, and I have some big mitts. Heck, I carry a Ruger P95... lol I don't like the way it felt, and it looked really bulky to me. Not Hi-Point bulky, but creeping up there... Then again, I never met a gun I didn't like... lol
    I like guns... And boobs...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast