Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Radnor foolishness

Just saw this clip on NBC10. Radnor is melting down all 6 of their H&K autos next month because the new police chief can't think of any circumstance they would use them.

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/video...Guns/184047111

And this is to make the streets safer. I mean, on the one hand, given how bad police generally shoot, maybe it *would* make things safer. But when's the last time you've heard about cops willingly disarming themselves?
    Last edited by tmountjr; December 19th, 2012 at 04:13 PM.

Default Re: Radnor foolishness

In wartime, when everyone in front of you is the enemy, a full-auto firearm (an actual "assault" rifle) makes sense. However, in a non-military civilian environment, cops (or anyone else) should not be using full-auto where the potential of injuring or killing innocent bystanders is very high.

So, I agree with the police chief in this matter.

These full-auto firearms cannot be sold to any civilian, even with the tax stamp, and the police have no need for them. But perhaps they could find another way of disposing of these guns? I don't like the idea of melting guns, but if there is no other legitimate way of getting rid of them, perhaps that must be done. As is, the guns are nothing but a major liability to Radnor and I think it would be impossible, or next to it, to ever justify their use in a police type situation.

It sounds like someone had extra money in their budget at the end of the year and needed to spend it or risk a budget cut in the next year.
    IANAL. I don't give legal advice. I'm only stating my OPINION.
    (Did I really need to say that on an Internet forum? LOL)

(Lancaster County)

I don't think the PD should be wasting Taxpayer monies that way. They should be looking for another department that would be willing to buy them if they don't feel they need them anymore. I'm sure PD could use that extra money in their coffers with a downed economy.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Montgomery County)

I dont think Radnor has any shortage of money in their coffers.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    I don't think the PD should be wasting Taxpayer monies that way. They should be looking for another department that would be willing to buy them if they don't feel they need them anymore. I'm sure PD could use that extra money in their coffers with a downed economy.
    We sold our MP5 years ago... there was no point to having it. We sold it to another department and then bought two AR-15's to be placed in patrol cars.

(Delaware County)

I wish they had been using my tax dollars a lot more efficiently in this. I'm sure there's a SWAT team in a major city somewhere that would have been willing to take them off their hands.

That being said, there really isn't any need for the RPD to have that kind of firepower to begin with. A few AR-15s in squad cars is more than enough to supplement their sidearms and shotguns.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by volanova View Post
    I wish they had been using my tax dollars a lot more efficiently in this. I'm sure there's a SWAT team in a major city somewhere that would have been willing to take them off their hands.

That being said, there really isn't any need for the RPD to have that kind of firepower to begin with. A few AR-15s in squad cars is more than enough to supplement their sidearms and shotguns.
    DELCO has a SWAT team made up from members of various DELCO police departments.

Don't forget, RADNOR is on the main line, it borders Newtown Township where John DuPont held police at bay for a couple days with his arsenal and personal tank. Big money out there, nice expensive toys too.

I'd bet you'd be surprised how many PD's in this country have the same weapons as RADNOR.

(Chester County)

I just saw this. Looks like the new Chief wanted to get some media attention on the job. I chuckled a bit when his response to any situation arising where they may need them was basicaly "we'll call the cops (swat)".

It seems clear to me that there was no thought in re-purposing these weapons to another department. Then maybe they could make a better decision such as using the money from their sale to purchase duty rifles for some of their vehicles.

(Delaware County)

All I can say is I hope this doesnt come back to haunt him. The Chief states he cant think of a situation where they would need the automatic rifles. I can think of one, I am sure we all remember the shoot out in North Hollywood California back in 1997 where 2 bank robbers had automatic weapons and shot 10 police officers and 6 civilians. As well terrorizing the entire LAPD, FBI(over 350 heavily armed law enforcement officials) and civilians who couldnt do a thing to defend themselves while they waited for SWAT(which if I remember correctly took about 30-45 minutes for them to arrive). No doubt SWAT is kickass but they are spread out all over the place so it takes a while for them to arrive on scene. It's the old rule of thumb "I would rather have a gun and not need it then to need it and not have it". I dont know about you but I will never forget watching that seen unfold. I know the bank robbers had body armor but those poor cops couldnt get a few shots off before those bank robbers unloaded on them and the police needed to run and duck for cover. If it happened once, it can and probably will happen again.

(Delaware County)

As one on the taxpayers that funded those HK's I'm furious at the waste of taxpayer assets. These should have been sold. I sent numerous letters complaining to officials and newspapers - my councilman supported but he's in the minority.

at lease there is no increase in the tax rate this year for Radnor.
    "...The gun at my side means that I cannot be forced, only persuaded...It doesn't limit the actions of those who would interact with me through reason, only the actions of those who would do so by force."
    Marko Kloos 2007

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast