Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lancaster County)

Question Federal crimped pistol brass?

As I was priming a batch of mixed range .40 brass this evening I noticed a few annoying ones not wanting the primers to go in. The problematic ones were all headstamped Federal NT and they appear to be crimped like Lake City is in 5.56. What was this, .40 subgun ammo (e.g. for MP5-40)? Will reaming this to open up the crimped pockets work well or will that loosen the primer pocket too much? Anyone work with this brass? For the moment I'm just setting them aside until I get some further info.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

(Beaver County)

Default Re: Federal crimped pistol brass?

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowfin View Post
    As I was priming a batch of mixed range .40 brass this evening I noticed a few annoying ones not wanting the primers to go in. The problematic ones were all headstamped Federal NT and they appear to be crimped like Lake City is in 5.56. What was this, .40 subgun ammo (e.g. for MP5-40)? Will reaming this to open up the crimped pockets work well or will that loosen the primer pocket too much? Anyone work with this brass? For the moment I'm just setting them aside until I get some further info.
    Haven't ran into them on 40 yet but have seen my fair share of crimped 9 and 45 and not all were Federal brass. I do a light reaming and run them. No issues yet. I always assumed these were overruns of mil spec ammo because most of mine had a NATO stamp on them also.
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.

(Monroe County)

I have several thousand 40 cal federal nt brass and what I was told is that it was made for a subgun. I bought them from a member here last year for ten bucks a k. Best brass I've ever loaded. Good solid brass

(Clearfield County)

I've had a RCBS primer pocket swager forever. I used it on surplus 30-06 and 5.56 brass. They are really slick and quick to use. They also last forever. Once you have it adjusted, one stroke of the press ram and the case is good to go. If you have a bunch of brass to do, they are a worthwhile purchase. Good luck to you.

(Armstrong County)

Quote Originally Posted by saleen322 View Post
    I've had a RCBS primer pocket swager forever. I used it on surplus 30-06 and 5.56 brass. They are really slick and quick to use. They also last forever. Once you have it adjusted, one stroke of the press ram and the case is good to go. If you have a bunch of brass to do, they are a worthwhile purchase. Good luck to you.
    Bingo!
    I was going to post the same thing. These work great.
    HGW, llc ~ Title 1 & NFA sales/manufacturing ~ Transfers - Title 1 $20 - NFA $50

I believe the "NT" stands for non-toxic. I am unaware that they were crimped, so maybe they were a gov't run for sub-guns. I have been using Federal AE "green" ammo and am quite pleased with it, but I have yet to reload any of the brass.

Adios,

Pizza Bob
    NRA Benefactor Member

(Lancaster County)

Sure wish I could legally buy one of the subguns it was made for (i.e. post 86), as they're probably being surplused right now to PD's or elsewhere.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent