Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Delaware County)

Default Seeking info on Belgian rifle

Unfortunately, my father's brother died in a car accident in 1964 before I was born. My Dad took possession of his rifle and its been sitting in the back of my Dad's closet ever since. I know he takes it out once in a blue moon and oils it, but it's not been fired in nearly 50 years.

I don't know much about hunting rifles, so hoping you all can advise me. The rifle is a 30.06 built in 1958 and is stamped with "fab.nat.d'armes de guerre herstal." I googled that and found it's a Belgian manufacturer, but little else. The scope is a Leupold M17 made in USA.

Appears to be in good condition. No rust, and the bolt/breach look good to my untrained eye. Just curious about its manufacture, reputation, estimated worth or any other useful info. Does it appear to have a Mauser bolt action?" There's a removable metal plate below the breach that I'm thinking can be removed to insert a magazine, but without, it looks like it wouldn't hold more than a single cartridge at a time. Also, seems pretty heavy. I imagine it's designed to shoot from prone or off blocks? Thanks in advance.

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Seeking info on Belgian rifle

It looks to be a custom rifle built on a FN Mauser action. Many shops turned out "custom" rifles in 1950's and 60's and 70's built on the FN Mauser action.

The magazine is internal, you simply lay the cartridge on the follower and press down, the cartridge is retained by the action rails until the bolt is cycled. It ought to hold 3 or 4 cartridges.

It looks to be in great condition, however, the market for them remains soft. Somewhere around $500 seems to be where these rifles sell, they just aren't today's fashion.

YMMV

(Clearfield County)

The scope mounts appear to be Buehler which were popular in the day. The action or at least the bolt appears to be from an early FN commercial action or a military surplus rifle because of the converted safety lever to clear the scope. FN went to a side safety I think in the 1950s but it could be an older commercial action. Most of the commercial FN actions I have seen use a different type safety where the sporterized mausers use what is on this rifle. There were a ton of 98 actions around at this time and they could be had for next to nothing. If the left side of the action does not have the thumb cutout, it is very likely a commercial action. I cannot tell from the photo. If it is a factory FN Sporter Deluxe (made from 1947-1963), at 95% they are valued at $500 and 100% is valued around $900. These were serviceable, well made rifles and best of luck with it.
    Last edited by saleen322; December 18th, 2012 at 11:01 AM. Reason: Added book prices

(Delaware County)

Thanks for taking time to provide some info.