Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default .25 auto...shot one in a million?

I was watching a show called CSI Miami (not the fictional show, but the real one that is like a documentary) and the detective doing the commentary was discussing his partner being shot while chasing an assailant with a .25 auto. The assailant turned and took one shot at a distance of about 15 yds. The detective that was shot was struck in the middle of the forehead and died before paramedics arrived. One of the comments the commentator made was how he 'couldn't believe his partner was killed by such an inaccurate firearm like the .25 auto', and that 'the shot was one in a million'. Now, granted, the .25 auto ain't the easiest firearm to shoot cloverleafs at 50 yds, but "inaccurate"? I'm sorry, but just don't agree.

The .25 auto I own (like this, but not engraved: http://www.gunauction.com/buy/945775...ngraved-25-acp) has nothing but a channel on top of the slide that when lined up, acts like a front and rear sight all in one. It will easily print 5" groups at seven yds, as long as you know how to use the sight. Maybe two years ago, we strapped this little bugger to a pistol rest and laid an airsoft rifle scope (4X, BTW) on top of the channel for every shot, and it managed to do a few sub 2" groups at the same 7 yds. I think it could have done a little better had the scope been attached, somehow. Now, I will admit it is a little harder to shoot a tight group with a small .25 auto, but if you can see the short sight radius well enough, it is accurate enough to at least give you some kind of chance. One in a million? Definitely not. Thoughts?

BTW, I have a high regard for our peace keepers (used to be one, myself) and truly hate when one is killed in the line of duty.
    Last edited by harold63; December 17th, 2012 at 09:14 PM.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Monroe County)

Default Re: .25 auto...shot one in a million?

TV is TV and is usually written by those uneducated about firearms.

(Blair County)

I used to have a Beretta Bobcat in .25acp. Just pissing around one day I shot at a tweaty bird in a tree about 20 feet away and hit it. I swear it was the loudest gun I ever had.

Quote Originally Posted by Edg View Post
    I shot at a tweaty bird
    ...couldn't help it. This got me tickled.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Jefferson County)

I can put all 10 rounds from my 9+1 Beretta 21A Bobcat 25acp in a paper plate at 7rds firing as fast as I can.

My dad uses his ring-of-fire .25acp for rodents and varmints around my parent's house down in Florida. He has popped armadillos in the head close to 50ft away.

They aren't that inaccurate.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Monroe County)

I discovered years ago that the Police generally knows nothing about firearms or ballistics, just ignore what the dolt said.

(Allegheny County)

Let's face it, .25ACP will never get any respect - despite it's world-wide presence.

I like these little guns, IIRC; wasn't Astra subcontracted to make the tiny Colts for Colt?

Anyway, these little guns are always a fun challenge at the range.

If it wasn't for the cost of .25ACP as a plinker, I'd have had one a long time ago to serve as both a plinker and BUG - given that at least a CF cartridge is more reliable than a rimfire.
    As it is, my tiny plinkers are all .22's and never get used for anything but plinking.
    Maybe someday when I'm rich, I'll snag a Baby Browning or Colt (or Astra).
    All of my guns are lubed with BACON GREASE.

Quote Originally Posted by mrnyman View Post
    I discovered years ago that the Police generally knows nothing about firearms or ballistics, just ignore what the dolt said.
    In case you missed it...It was on a TV show and has not one thing to do with what police know or don't know. As a further FYI I am retired, 38 years, as an LEO and I know as much about firearms as I have been able to cram in. My first gun was a Colt 1911, (not A1), when I was 11. One thing I have known a long, long time: Any hits with a .25acp at 50 feet are largely outhouse luck and have little to do with skill or gun. They are belly guns. Period!
    For frantic boast and foolish word, Thy mercy on Thy people, Lord!

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by aryfrosty View Post
    In case you missed it...It was on a TV show and has not one thing to do with what police know or don't know...
    In case you missed it, the OP said, "...the detective doing the commentary was discussing his partner being shot while chasing an assailant with a .25 auto..." The commentator who called it "one shot in a million" is just a random dolt. However, my first reaction was to the detective's story, not the commentator's. The gun isn't that inaccurate, but a bad guy turning around and taking a one-handed shot on the run is not going to give someone a third eye.

Benefit of the doubt to the detective, maybe the bad guy stopped, turned around, assumed a Weaver position with a good two-handed grip, and hit the cop between the eyes. That's much more believable marksmanship, but it's very disturbing that the cop was apparently standing on the X doing nothing for a good couple seconds.

As a further FYI I am retired, 38 years, as an LEO and I know as much about firearms as I have been able to cram in...
    You're not typical of the average cop. It's well known that the average cop is not a gun guy.

Any hits with a .25acp at 50 feet are largely outhouse luck and have little to do with skill or gun. They are belly guns. Period!
    Absolutely. But even then, a between-the-eyes shot at 45 feet isn't going to happen if you're shooting on the run, or one-handed, etc. I suspect the detective was exaggerating the precision of the shot, and that the partner screwed up fairly seriously in order to get dead.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by Adam-12;2212789Absolutely. But even then, a between-the-eyes shot at 45 feet isn't going to happen if you're shooting on the run, or one-handed, etc. I suspect the detective was exaggerating the precision of the shot, [i
    and[/i] that the partner screwed up fairly seriously in order to get dead.
    Never say it isn't going to happen. That is what a 1 in a million shot is, a purely lucky shot.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast