Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Gen 2 Glock 19; An Oldie But A Goodie

Lots of Glockers out there consider the Gen 2 Glock 19 to be the "perfect Glock" and I would have a hard time arguing that point. In the last few years, these Gen2 guns have been flooding the surplus market as departments upgrade their guns to the newer Gen4 models. The good news for the public is that while most of these guns were carried a lot and show some wear, many were shot very little over their lifetime and have plenty of life left in them.

Pros:
    -Reliable. The gun has had 0 malfunctions
    -Accurate (more accurate than I am)
    -Durable. There are many, many of these guns with documented round counts over 25k that have only had simple spring replacements in that time
    -Easy to maintain
    -TONS of aftermarket support
    -Accepts 15, 17, and 33 round factory magazines
    -Small and light enough for most to carry but holds 15+1
    -Glock's customer service is second to none
    -Durable finish
    -Cheap replacement parts, should you ever need them
    -Low Bore Axis resulting in a relatively soft shooting gun
    -Easily modified to fit the shooters' preferences
    -Requires very little cleaning/lubrication to run reliably
    -Many people prefer the Gen2 grip without the finger grooves present on the Gen3/4 guns
    -Many of the worries about brass to the face are assuaged since these models were never known to happen with the older guns.

Cons:
    -I'm not a fan of the Glock factory plastic sights
    -Comes with a serrated trigger due to import rules (easy swap)-I prefer the Gen3/4 finish to the Gen2 finish
    -When I first inspected the gun, I noticed the slide stop lever had almost no spring tension and replaced it. What I'm getting at there is that you'll certainly want to inspect the guns because some departments out there do very little armoror work (if any at all) on their guns.

Here's a video with some shooting from the 12m line, break down the gun, do a size comparison, go over the "6 part upgrade," and do a chronograph test with some popular carry/defensive loads:

Chrono numbers:

Federal 124gr HST: 1132fps, 353 ft/lbs energy
    Speer 124gr Gold Dot: 1145fps, 361 ft/lbs energy

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Gen 2 Glock 19; An Oldie But A Goodie

I wanna play. Here is the one I got from Arizona for $250.00 shipped:

My friend bought it and was having rust issues so he asked me to Durabake it:

I would love to get my hands on a nice cheap Gen 2 G23
    Last edited by CHEMICAL; December 17th, 2012 at 08:53 PM.

(Allegheny County)

I swapped my EDC from a Kimber Ultra CPDII to an Gen 2 G19 earlier this year after I fell in love with my Gen 3 G17. The reason that I wanted a Gen 2 was that I hate the finger grooves and they had already been removed on my G17. The only thing I have done to it is replace the OEM sights with "Ken Hackathorns" from Ameriglo and to sand down the bump on the bottom front of the grip. I'll be looking into the 6 part upgrade.

***Looked into it, just not real sure what I have. Am I right in thinking that a three letter prefix is not included in the recall?***

Great review, keep 'em coming.
    Last edited by eddyb74; December 17th, 2012 at 09:09 PM.

(Delaware County)

when i was looking for my G19 i could not find a good Gen2 one for the right price so i bought a Gen3 and turned into what i wanted:
    Attached Images Attached Images

(Bucks County)

I sent my Gen. 2 back to Gaston for the 6 part upgrade....unfortunately they did a 7 part upgrade.....the Frame.....claimed there was a crack....call me skeptical.

Well, now I have a hybrid....Gen 3 frame, Gen 2 slide and barrel.....Actually I like it...fits my hand great and is still dead on accurate and glock reliable.
    Different S/N on frame and barrel,slide. They kept the original magazine I sent with it and replaced with new, loose fit mag. My other old mags are almost a press fit, but they work.
    Before:

After:
    Last edited by PocketProtector; December 19th, 2012 at 10:59 AM.
    Its easier to fool people than to convince them they've been fooled....Mark Twain

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by PocketProtector View Post
    I sent my Gen. 2 back to Gaston for the 6 part upgrade....unfortunately they did a 7 part upgrade.....the Frame.....claimed there was a crack....call me skeptical.

Well, now I have a hybrid....Gen 3 frame, Gen 2 slide and barrel.....Actually I like it...fits my hand great and is still dead on accurate and glock reliable.
    Different S/N on frame and barrel,slide. They kept the original magazine I sent with it and replaced with new, loose fit mag. My other old mags are almost a press fit, but they work.
    Before:

After:
    I have a Gen 2 G17, is the parts upgrade free? And was it much of a hassle?
    Fortune fingers the fearless

(Bucks County)

No hassle....send it through FFL.....came back in 7 days.....had to go through PICS and pay for it because of the new frame.

If you don't need a frame...no PICS...If you like your Gen. 2 pure.....don't risk it either.
    Its easier to fool people than to convince them they've been fooled....Mark Twain

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by PocketProtector View Post
    No hassle....send it through FFL.....came back in 7 days.....had to go through PICS and pay for it because of the new frame.

If you don't need a frame...no PICS...If you like your Gen. 2 pure.....don't risk it either.
    What did they "upgrade"? I don't shoot mine a ton and don't have any reason to believe a failure is imminent. Thanks for the info.
    Fortune fingers the fearless