Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Re: "Assault Weapons" - Buy or sell?

It's really hard to say what to do. On one hand, if a ban actually happens, you'd be really glad you made a few extra purchases before it did.

On the other hand, if no ban happens, prices will plummet as supply heavily outweighs demand--just as it did following the 2008 election. For most buyers in this kind of market, they aren't buying additional items, they're simply moving purchases forward, leaving a gap following the period of increased demand.

If we have no ban, you can stock up on whatever you want on the cheap.

It is entirely possible that there will be no new AWB. While the media and the current administration are certainly talking it up, legislation of that magnitude would have to be passed by both houses of congress before the President can sign it.

The GOP has a healthy majority in the House, and there are plenty of Democrats who won't touch the legislation either. While the D's control the Senate, there aren't enough of them to block a filibuster.

While it's possible that push will come to shove and the R's will cave on this, I'm just not sure I can see it.

I can however see new regulations passed by executive order. An AWB couldn't really happen that way under normal circumstances, but some kind of regulation could be put in place.

Quote Originally Posted by BobGun View Post
    I am going to sell my S&W M&P15 and use the funds to buy a Ruger left handed Scout in .308, because by the time they outlaw bolts I should be long gone.
    Don't be surprised if there is a law passed that says that any gun that deviates from the norm is banned. Or, any gun not in the list is banned. Wouldn't you know, Ruger Scout .308 is in the list. Sweet!!! Oh wait, they didn't list the left-handed model... FELONY! :/
    Iconoclastic Individual Specimen

I would say buy. I'm not usually one to buy into panic buying and at this time I don't truly believe anything substantial will go through the house; however, I do plan on buying a second AR here soon. Worst case scenario there is a ban and I only have 2 ARs. Best case scenario, there is no ban and I only have 2 ARs.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by TXDMERC73 View Post
    wonder if disassemble the AR15 and place all the pieces in many disclosed locations is acceptable? after all the rifle is inoperable disassembled.
    No.

(Schuylkill County)

Quote Originally Posted by mak47 View Post
    The GOP has a healthy majority in the House, and there are plenty of Democrats who won't touch the legislation either. While the D's control the Senate, there aren't enough of them to block a filibuster.
    I wish I shared your optimism. But seeing as how a few Republicans have already jumped ship, and I'm sure more will follow... I think this could end up anywhere. And judging by the media coverage, and everyone's heartstrings being pulled, we're in a for a long ride, as gun owners.
    III%

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by gator39 View Post
    You guys sound like such defeatists.

You give up at just the sound of a gun cocking also?

I have no faith in boehner or the rinos what so ever but there are still alot of good conservative constitutionalist in congress that the repubs still control.

Start CALLING each and every rep and talk to them about your point of view.
    Emails are a was of time but a phone call usually gets you a live person at their office to talk to who will pass the call ratio along to the reps.

Join the SECOND AMENDMENT FOUNDATION or GOA. [nra is a waste]

Keep fighting, dont quit, dont give up.

Every single gun owner needs to become an activist now, not just a by stander.

We get active and persusive and maybe we dont even get a ban.
    THIS .... well maybe except for the NRA hate but I'll agree to disagree for this thread

(York County)

My general opinion is. If you don't have alot of money to burn, there's something you absolutely couldn't live without if a AWB passed I would buy it now as long as pricing doesn't go ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    No.
    As far as I'm concerned if someone comes knocking looking for a rifle because they want to take it..

"Yeah. I sold it about a month ago. In accordance to PA law there was no transfer as the guy was an instate resident. I seem to have misplaced his information"

Quote Originally Posted by NikeBauer21 View Post
    I wish I shared your optimism. But seeing as how a few Republicans have already jumped ship, and I'm sure more will follow... I think this could end up anywhere. And judging by the media coverage, and everyone's heartstrings being pulled, we're in a for a long ride, as gun owners.
    I agree. I was watching FOX news cause I thought if anyone would put a good spin on all hope not being lost on republicans voting for this gun ban it would be them. But all I heard was...

"I agree... No real reason to have a gun in the hands of citizens that can shoot 30+ rounds without reloading" or something towards that idea though they tend to say "30 rounds in 10 seconds" or "100 round clips" embarassingly enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Finch00 View Post
    THIS .... well maybe except for the NRA hate but I'll agree to disagree for this thread
    I don't think the NRA will have anyones back on "assault weapons". But they still have a voice in D.C.. Possibly the most powerful.

I am hoping the people who have a business in semi auto weapons like AR's, AK's, etc in this country will have a hand in protesting this and not let a AWB pass.
    Last edited by khankewycz; December 18th, 2012 at 11:46 AM.

Hokkmike Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Quahog View Post
    Just by use of the term "Assault Weapon" places this entire topic thread and the original poster in question.

Most people don't own or possess selective or full automatic fire "Assault Weapons", as termed by the anti-gun media and intruders on Second Amendment rights.

Civilians for the most part own and possess semi-automatic rifles that look like military arms. Since I for one do not own an "Assault Weapon" so-called, then the question has no meaning
    You are right. We are letting our opponents define the terms which skews the whole argument in their favor.

Quote Originally Posted by 45ACP_4_ME View Post
    Given the current atmosphere, what's the general consensus? Buy anything you can get your hands on in the hopes 30 round mags and AR receivers will be grandfathered in? Or sell off everything you own in an effort to "cut your losses" if we are banned from owning or shooting them (at a range obviously).

Basically, if it mimics the previous assault weapon ban, everything got grandfathered in and prices skyrocketed.

"new and (un)improved?" - Screwed out of your investment.

Last I remembered, in this Country, the Government can not confiscate private property without reasonable compensation. I don't recall any exception for privately owned firearms. I can not imagine that the federal government would try a confiscation. If they would, not sure the government could afford the same? Courts would be clogged with appeals.
    Last edited by pa350z; December 18th, 2012 at 12:47 PM.
    My GGG Grandpappy,front row (20th NC, Co. F.) and Family Circa 1900.

(Schuylkill County)

Quote Originally Posted by pa350z View Post
    Courts would be clogged with appeals.
    I have a feeling that would be the least of their problems at that point.
    III%

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast