Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Truck/Trunk gun, reccomendations for securing it?

Figured this would count as CC as it deals with firearms in a vehicle.

Now that I have my LTCF I've thought about keeping something a little more...potent...than a pistol in the glovebox (beyond my carry firearm). The pistol is secured in a car pistol safe.

I've been thinking of replacing that with a carbine or shotgun but I am having issues with a proper way to secure it in my vehicle.

I drive a Ford Escape which is a hatchback SUV..pretty standard.

What do you guys reccomend in terms of safety and legality?

Thanks!

Default Re: Truck/Trunk gun, reccomendations for securing it?

Even if you have a LTCF you can not carry a long arm (rifle / carbine) in the trunk loaded. I believe the same is true of a shotgun.
    There are states where you could have a gun rack mounted in a truck and such, but I dont believe Pennsylvania is one of those states.
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

OK, lets say I keep the ammo separated then...I wasn't planning on leaving it loaded per se anyway.

I guess I could fit a rack onto the back of my rear passenger seats...a locked case might be a better idea.
    Last edited by Kaos; March 18th, 2008 at 12:08 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaos View Post
    Figured this would count as CC as it deals with firearms in a vehicle.

Now that I have my LTCF I've thought about keeping something a little more...potent...than a pistol in the glovebox (beyond my carry firearm). The pistol is secured in a car pistol safe.

I've been thinking of replacing that with a carbine or shotgun but I am having issues with a proper way to secure it in my vehicle.

I drive a Ford Escape which is a hatchback SUV..pretty standard.

What do you guys reccomend in terms of safety and legality?

Thanks!
    Don't take this wrong, I'm not attacking your idea, but why do you need to carry a shotgun/rifle in your car? Deploying it for self-defense isn't very practical unless it's loaded and in arms reach and even then a long gun is hard to wield inside a vehicle, and I can't imagine the need to deploy it outside the vehicle for self defense. Under what circumstances could you possibly deploy it? I can't seem to come up with a single valid scenario.
    Toujours prêt

IANAL, but I believe you can have a long gun in your vehicle even if your not on the way to the range, gunsmith ect ect as long as you follow the transport laws(unloaded would be the biggy).

But as far as using it and being legal i dont really see any situation where it would come into play. When you get to your car you have a chance to flee, standing there loading a gun and running back into battle is a nono since you have a duty to retreat in PA.

NFA firearms can be carried loaded and concealed in PA under our LTCF though.

I have an M-6 scout survival rifle/carbine , which would fit the bill in case I were to become stranded somewhere. I've been searching out .410 ga flares for it etc.

A shotgun would be useful if I were to become stuck somewhere, more potent than 9mm for survival purposes in case I became trapped on the way back from a camping, hiking trip...or stuck in the middle of the night.

I keep a BOB/FA kit. Figured it would be an item to have in the car that could be useful.

I like to be prepared.

For this im not worried about it for self defense against anything but mother nature...enough for me to hike somewhere if I had to. The m-6 is great because it breaks into two pieces.
    Last edited by Kaos; March 18th, 2008 at 01:46 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaos View Post
    I have an M-6 scout survival rifle/carbine , which would fit the bill in case I were to become stranded somewhere. I've been searching out .410 ga flares for it etc.

A shotgun would be useful if I were to become stuck somewhere, more potent than 9mm for survival purposes in case I became trapped on the way back from a camping, hiking trip...or stuck in the middle of the night.

I keep a BOB/FA kit. Figured it would be an item to have in the car that could be useful.

I like to be prepared.

For this im not worried about it for self defense against anything but mother nature...enough for me to hike somewhere if I had to. The m-6 is great because it breaks into two pieces.
    I see know where your coming from. Yes, it's fun to put together survival kits and prepare for survival situations. I did this when I was younger, later on I learned that you can't walk 5 miles in any direction without running into some kind of road in PA. And since the advent of cell phones, it makes it allot easier to contact help if needed. If I lived out west, it would be different situation and I would prepare more like you are planning.
    Toujours prêt

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
    Even if you have a LTCF you can not carry a long arm (rifle / carbine) in the trunk loaded. I believe the same is true of a shotgun.
    There are states where you could have a gun rack mounted in a truck and such, but I don't believe Pennsylvania is one of those states.
    Wrong, you can have a gun rack , PA, the weapons still have to be unloaded and legal definition of unloaded is very different from common sense definition of unloaded. Ammo can not be in same compartment as fire arm so you won't be able to have ammo in the cabin.

Don't expect cops to like your gun rack, think way way way more 'attention' then OCing.

(Montgomery County)

I keep a folded SUB2K and a henry survival rifle in my contingency box in the car. The mags for SUB2K are interchangeable with my glock 19 which is why I got it. The henry survival rifle is just a nice addition to bugout bag for small game.

(Northampton County)

While I can't see a rifle or shotgun as being too useful for typical self-defense situations, as some have mentioned, survival is a legitimate concern... yes, one probably wouldn't get "stranded" for very long around cities and their suburbs, but enter central Pennsylvania and you'll find yourself in areas with no cell phone reception, mountains blocking satellite signals, and no civilization for long distances.

However, the most important purpose, in my opinion, is for SHTF scenarios, as unlikely as they are. But I think about how much time I spend away from home (i.e. at work, etc) and how far away I am from home when I'm gone, as well as how easy it is to get home should a need arise, including how many bridges and other bottlenecks and controlled access areas exist on that route. In the event of a natural disaster, terrorist attack, outrageous government action, etc, how likely is it that I can get home to my cache of weapons and ammo? And what good does that cache do for me if I can't get home?

Those are the questions I'd ask before discounting the transport of unloaded rifles and shotguns, as well as a healthy amount of ammo for them, in addition to supplies of food and water. It's all well and good to prepare for that herd of BG's running at you single-file with two targets on their COMs and one on their foreheads at a distance of 25 feet, but that's not going to get you very far in begging the kind Blackwater operator to let you get home to your family, or not lock you up for your own "safety", or not shoot you on sight for not cooperating with his demands and/or looking at him the wrong way.

Anyhow, I found the products on this site fairly intriguing regarding longs arms storage in trucks and cars: http://www.truckvault.com/
    Safety is a good tool for tyrants; no one can be against safety.

Μολὼν λαβέ