Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Delaware County)

Default M&p shield in my future

My wife has been wanting to start to carry. And I have done a bunch of reasearch and I think this is going to fit the bill for her. Hell I have been so impressed with what I have been reading that I might get on myself! Love the feel of the m&p and I think this is going to be a great addition.

Has anyone heard anything on a version coming out w/out an external safety? If its in the near future I may have to wait. A call to S&W may be in order

Default Re: M&p shield in my future

I have not heard that. However, reagarding the safety.

My wife is also looking for a carry gun. She does not currently carry, but does shoot a Glock 19. She/I shot my brother's 9mm Shield yesterday.

1 - I held one at the Oaks Show on Friday and should have bought it
    2 - The Shield kicks only a tad more than the G19.
    3 - In my/our hands, the Shield felt better.
    4 - The safety - ok. First, the Shield has a clean trigger, meaning there is no travel, which the G19 has. That travel on the G19 is, in effect, the safety. Without that travel, I believe the idea is that the Shield would need an external safety to prevent accidental discharge. If the Shield comes forth without a safety, I'll bet money they add travel or poundage to the trigger, and that would be shame. I will also tell you that after I fired the G19, I picked up the Shield and the first shot definitely surprised me - the trigger is that different. I applying the same technique as the G19 and the Shield just went off. Practice with this gun...I think you'll like it.

Also, reagarding the safety, I will tell you that it is small, flat (won't snag), and surprisingly easy to disengage. I ran my finger down the slide, several times, and it easily catches the safety to disengage. I honestly can't figure out how it's that easy, when it's that flat. Me likey...

I'm going to order one for my wife. But you know how those gun shops are, they never get anything right, so I'm sure they'll end up getting two in

BTW, if it helps define who I am as a shooter and buyer. I don't typically buy new guns, and rarely the latest and greatest. The Shield just seem to fit the bill for my wife and I.
    Last edited by joseywales; December 16th, 2012 at 08:22 PM.
    Honey, sell my guns for what they're worth and not what I told you I paid for them.

(Montgomery County)

I've had one on order since July and am still waiting. Good luck finding one.

Quote Originally Posted by littlebluevette View Post
    I've had one on order since July and am still waiting. Good luck finding one.
    I keep hearing that, but have had two in my hands in the past two weeks??? I didn't look hard at Oaks, but I doubt I was holding the only one in the building. That said, I'm in no rush. She's signing up for formal training, so we have some time.
    Honey, sell my guns for what they're worth and not what I told you I paid for them.

(Bucks County)

I was looking into buying one this week. I stopped to re-think when I started to turn up links of this magazine falling out on the first shot issue. Not sure how valid it is or if it's widespread but the one youtube video has comments of the call to S&W and some of the people there have been getting reports of this happening. I'm going to wait it out a little to see what happens. My mouse gun right now is the LC9 and I love it but I want a .40 since that's what my mid and full size guns are - my 9's are mostly my inexpensive range guns and the LC9 my summer carry when I work out.

I really hope it's not really a problem because I want this gun in .40 really bad. I just don't want to have to send it back to get it fixed - that would suck.

With you on that. I NEVER buy guns or anything, when it first hits the market.

I'm also sure hte 40 will be a bit more snappy than the 9.

(Perry County)

I've heard a lot of good things about Shields. Does anyone know of anywhere in central PA that I can get my hands on one to see how it feels and maybe even dry fire it? Everywhere I've tried so far has had the same story - been waiting to get some in for months and have a waiting list for when some finally do come in.
    - I support Israel; "If guns kill people my pencil causes bad spelling."

(Delaware County)

well i was at an auction today and right down the street was a gun store,

it was packed on a monday morning, everyone and their grandma was in there buying "black" rifles. they were completely sold out.

they had 1 9mm shield and one 40 cal shield. i picked it up to feel it and walked out with it 30min later.

im going to suprise my wife with it. if she doesnt like it, im going to carry it myself. if she does like it, i may have to get another. i like it that much. it feels very slim but ergonomical. it cost me $530 and some change out the door. i think i may have over paid by maybe $50 but im happy with it.

i'll post some pics later.

on a side note its scary to see all these people there buying all these guns up. i hope it is just a scare and not a look at things to come with all types of bans.

(Delaware County)

here are some pics
    Attached Images Attached Images

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by nick060200 View Post
    My wife has been wanting to start to carry. And I have done a bunch of reasearch and I think this is going to fit the bill for her. Hell I have been so impressed with what I have been reading that I might get on myself! Love the feel of the m&p and I think this is going to be a great addition.

Has anyone heard anything on a version coming out w/out an external safety? If its in the near future I may have to wait. A call to S&W may be in order
    Get it at Handgunner in Topton is all I can add. They even have on hand to hold and get a feel for.... and not the blue gun... the real one. LOL I just got mine, love it, and will post a range report when I get a chance!