Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Default Re: What would you do if you hit a deer?

Quote Originally Posted by hacimsaalk View Post
    To those of you who are talking about using your LTCF over dispatching a deer...what would be the reasoning behind that?

I hit a deer just this past fall. It wasn't dead so I drove to the WCO's house to see if he would come dispatch it. He basically told me to take care of it and make sure to call the GC if I was going to keep it. Regional GC director goes to my parents church, and had told them it was 100% legal to dispatch a deer AFTER hitting it. The only time hey're really going to question it or look into it is if it really looks like you just went out and poached it.

Take it for what it's worth. I live in the sticks. No way I'm calling the cops or GC. It's a dead deer after the shot if it wasn't already prior to.
    So the tire tracks out across the corn field leading to the site of the incident AREN'T a good sign?

(Berks County)

I would of pulled my K-Bar from behind my seat and cut it's throat, then called the game comission to get a tag for it. When they get there and ask why I killed it...sorry boss but i'm not going to stand here or leave an animal to suffer like it was.

This actually just happened to me yesterday, I was thinking about making a thread on the legalities.

I hit a small deer with my Crown Vic on my way home from work, busted up the driver side headlight and L marker light. The deer was not so lucky. I felt pretty bad about it. I shot it before a coal truck completely smashed it from my car. No houses around, good backstop. 12 hours later I went back into work and the deer was gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Storm88000 View Post
    If anyone is familiar with the bridge linking NJ to Portland, PA up in Northampton county by Bangor, one time about a decade ago i was driving home on it and this deer was on the bridge. It saw me coming and panicked, and climbed up and over the concrete wall, and jumped. To its death, 2 stories below onto a road underneath. It was horrible,because it didnt die right away. I was in shock and stopped the car and ran out to look over,and the thing was on the road below, badly injured, kicking its one leg. I told the toll booth operator about it and went home. Awful
    Man, that is awful.

(Beaver County)

I dont have an comments on what I would do since we arnt allowed to advocate breaking the law....

But I was wondering where is the best place to shoot a wounded deer? For hunting I know vitals/heart shot but if it's not going anywhere would a head shot be better for it? Just a curiousty question. (and while we are discussing this what's the best knife target? If one can safely get that close)

The last time someone hit one by my house the dumbass cop put 3 rds into the "chest area" and we had to listen to her gasp for air as she slowly died. Dickhead was afraid of the deer so the shots were taken from about 15 feet away and he only managed to hit the "chest area". And it was like 11 pm in a residential area. Pissed me off so bad.

Quote Originally Posted by spartakis252 View Post
    But I was wondering where is the best place to shoot a wounded deer? .
    The head (temple/ear area)

(Carbon County)

I've hit several deer over the last few years, I drive a lot. Luckily most die on the spot or run away. I wouldnt use my firearm but I have used a mini sledge that I had in my service truck.. it was like 3# or something.. used the wide side face so it wasnt obvious if someone like a GC came up and looked at it.. One big smack in the head and it was over. only sad part is it didnt have a rack or was in good enough shape to butcher.

(Crawford County)

Quote Originally Posted by MT1 View Post
    So the tire tracks out across the corn field leading to the site of the incident AREN'T a good sign?
    That would be a good sign...unfortunately since I drive a sunfire I doubt you would see tire tracks across a corn field without the tires still sitting in them.

And trust me, i enjoy hunting them much more than hitting them with a car ;-)
    Male RN

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234