Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Hybrid View

(Lehigh County)

Default What would you do if you hit a deer?

I thought about this last night, my wife and I were driving to my friends house and we where going to our stated lodge meeting. It was dark out and we were driving and out of nowhere 3 deer ran in front of the car that was ahead of us. I slowed down quickly and put my four-ways on and the minivan that hit the deer pulled up and on the side of the road. One more deer ran in front of us and there was one about 5 feet off the road just standing there. As we drove past the deer that got hit it was convulsing and you know it wasn't getting up and running off it was just going to suffer. We stopped and made sure the person that hit the deer was fine and then once he said yes i we made sure then went on our way.

So my question is provided you are in an area that doesnt have a lot of houses and it would be safe would you put the deer down? If so what would the legality of that be? Would you have to call the game commission? Would you call the police first? I really never thought about this until last night. I would not of at this location because there are houses pretty close to the accident.
    IANAL

Default Re: What would you do if you hit a deer?

In that situation, i would use my pistol to put it out of its misery. If it were a populated area, a knife would be used. I know its against the law but i don't like to see animals suffer due to humans. Sue me.

(Cambria County)

Call an ambulance, administer first aid (maybe CPR) while waiting.

Ride along in the ambulance to the veterinarian's office and pray for the recovery of this fine beast. Offer to give blood if necessary.

--------

Sorry.... couldn't resist...

Oddly, a similar thing happened to us last night going to visit my Dad.
    I had my 2 kids in the car. The car in front of us struck a deer and it flipped up onto the guard-rail. It lay there twitching.

We just called 911 as it may have posed a traffic safety issue.

I gave the driver my info in case he needed it for insurance reasons and we left.

Make a phone is what I would do.... I would NOT discharge me pistol for this!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mK2JYfZAmA When will America become America?

(Dauphin County)

Ago years ago I had bought a Chevy Blazer, a month later a deer ran out in front of me and i hit it in the rear quarter and sent it spinning. I was furious since I only had the truck a month. I turned around and was going to hit him again. But he had ran off suprisingly.

No I wasn't really going to hit him again. Thought about it, but wasn't going to.

(Lancaster County)

Illegal to put it down. Call game commission. Stick around and process the deer under special deer tag.

It sucks, but it is legal thing to do. Don't put your carry rights in jeopardy for a good tenderloin.

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by PowerPM View Post
    Illegal to put it down. Call game commission. Stick around and process the deer under special deer tag.

It sucks, but it is legal thing to do. Don't put your carry rights in jeopardy for a good tenderloin.
    Hey, that quote has the makings of a new bumper sticker.

Quote Originally Posted by PowerPM View Post

That is also my tack if the situation becomes my reality. I really, really hate to see the suffering but I also can't in good conscience jeopardize my lawful ability to defend my family, and myself. Between state game laws and municipality regulations you potentially have at least two criminal acts to answer for. The untagged deer and discharge of a firearm.
    When the SHTF......be the fan.

(Crawford County)

Personally, I'm not leaving an animal to suffer while I wait around for the police or game commission to get out of the donut/coffee shop and show up. I have the necessary resource to put the animal down in a humane manner, so I will do so.

That said, I have been very, very lucky that in 20 years of driving overall, and fourteen years of professional driving I have yet to strike a deer (knock on wood). A couple of stray cats (why do people INSIST on letting their housecats out?), two rabbits, one groundhog (deliberate...distemper and I wasn't old enough to carry at the time), and a suicidal bird who actually hit my car, rather than the other way around...

On a side note, when insurance asks....the deer hit YOU. Makes the claim a bit easier to process.
    "When I hit it, I expect it to fall the hell down and die!"

(Allegheny County)

Sadly I would let the Game Commission handle it. I'm not risking my rights over an animal. I don't like it though.

Sadly if no response from Authorities,Let it go !