Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Washington County)

Default State Police 45GAP not ACP Glock anybody else wonder why?

I was talking to a State Trooper over in eighty four when they were doing firearms training and qualification. I noticed that they were using Glock GAP rounds being that i know not a single person that has a gun that takes 45GAP i found this to be odd. Does anyone else find it weird

(Monroe County)

Default Re: State Police 45GAP not ACP Glock anybody else wonder why?

They probably got a good deal on them last time around since they aren't the most popular choice of shooters and were surplus.

It was my understanding that they chose to go with .45 GAP for the very reason that Glock designed the cartridge - to have a gun with the punch of a .45 bot a smaller grip that could be easily used by people of smaller stature.

Adios,

Pizza Bob
    Last edited by Pizza Bob; December 16th, 2012 at 09:51 AM.
    NRA Benefactor Member

(Monroe County)

Um cuz the Glock 21s grip was designed for some other species than humans?

I found both triggers to be terrible to me so the triggers are on a scale to me.. The Glock was a crisper suck and the XD was a more mushy suck. They are in the same family, SR9 (heavy suck), Glock (crisp heavy suck), XD( lighter mushy suck), M&P(heavy mushy suck).

(Lawrence County)

This may be completely false, but I had heard that they went with the 45gap due to the fact that it is an uncommon round. If an officer were to be disarmed, lost gun, stolen gun, ect, The average street criminal would not be able to readily find ammo for it at wal-mart or other chain store that sells ammo. Thus rendering the gun somewhat useless once out of ammo. I dont know how many officers lose, be disarmed or have their gun stolen on an average day so im not completely sure this is the main reason they went with the gap round, just what I had heard from my friend's brother who is fresh out of the academy.
    Last edited by psucivil; December 15th, 2012 at 11:52 AM.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by psucivil View Post
    This may be completely false, but I had heard that they went with the 45gap due to the fact that it is an uncommon round. If an officer were to be disarmed, lost gun, stolen gun, ect, The average street criminal would not be able to readily find ammo for it at wal-mart or other chain store that sells ammo. Thus rendering the gun somewhat useless once out of ammo.
    Criminals don't have access to Sportsman's Guide?

Somehow I think that might be mistaken.

I found both triggers to be terrible to me so the triggers are on a scale to me.. The Glock was a crisper suck and the XD was a more mushy suck. They are in the same family, SR9 (heavy suck), Glock (crisp heavy suck), XD( lighter mushy suck), M&P(heavy mushy suck).

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by CHEMICAL View Post
    They probably got a good deal on them last time around since they aren't the most popular choice of shooters and were surplus.
    They got a good deal but not because they were surplus. Glock was pushing the platform and the caliber and were offering outrageous deals to the LE community.

Quote Originally Posted by Pizza Bob View Post
    It was my understanding that they chise to go with .45 GAP for the very reason that Glock designed the cartridge - to have a gun with the punch of a .45 bot a smaller grip that could be easily used by people of smaller stature.

Adios,

Pizza Bob
    That was definitely part of the reason.

I have a friend in the PSP at the Moon Twp barracks (I think that's where it is) and I had some lengthy discussion with him before I bought a G38.

FWIW, the weapons are holding up fine. No recalls or re-engineering issues. And the round is killing BG's like nobody's business.

I "rediscovered" the concept of a ".45 short" a couple of years ago when I started getting disgusted with the fact that I did not possess the skills to maintain my 1911's. I went looking for an alternative and "discovered" that the .45 GAP filled my need perfectly.

The case capacity of a .45 ACP with modern powders is excessive. While Gaston may have had ulterior motives for developing the .45 GAP, IMHO the concept does make sense. I think it's a shame it didn't catch on.

Ammo is expensive but I practice with a G19.

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by thelemite View Post
    Criminals don't have access to Sportsman's Guide?

Somehow I think that might be mistaken.
    I agree with you on that point, that gap ammo is not impossible to find, but in most cases it would have to be ordered. Im saying that it is not readily accessible at walmart, dicks, ect. Like i said im not sure myself that is the sole reason psp went with the gap,just what a friend told me.

(Centre County)

I like the concept of .45GAP.

I've always wanted a G21(so that I can convert it to 10mm), but I simply can NOT get my puny asian hand around it.

I can shoot 1911 perfectly fine, but Glock's dependability is undisputed.

So the .45ACP power in frame which I can be perficient in is an attractive idea, since I seems to do fine with G22.

But the availability(or lack of) .45Gap ammo stops me from buying one.

Ofcourse, now that I have G22, I'm going to buy a conversion barrel for .357Sig. And they aren't easy to find or anything LOL
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

(Lackawanna County)

I was talking to a PSP friend of mine when they first got them. I was told by him that Glock developed this caliber and it just never took off. They sold the guns they had on hand to PA PSP and one other state (i forget which one) for like $200 each. Just to get them out of inventory.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast