Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: First Timer

(Philadelphia County)

Default First Timer

Hi there,

I have a few questions if anyone would care to answer.

I'm a senior in college who is looking to get a handgun in the near future.
    I figured, Philadelphia is only getting worse, mind as well arm my home with one while picking up a hobby.
    I plan on attending a NRA Basic Pistol Safety course.
    Can anyone let me know what entails in the course and if it's enough to teach me the basics? I plan on going to Delaware Valley Sports Center for this course.

Also,
    If someone could give me advice on a first gun I should look towards getting/practicing with. A medium sized pistol, preferably ammunition affordable.

Thank you in advance!

(Chester County)

Default Re: First Timer

Quote Originally Posted by djr5252 View Post
    Hi there,

I have a few questions if anyone would care to answer.

I'm a senior in college who is looking to get a handgun in the near future.
    I figured, Philadelphia is only getting worse, mind as well arm my home with one while picking up a hobby.
    I plan on attending a NRA Basic Pistol Safety course.
    Can anyone let me know what entails in the course and if it's enough to teach me the basics? I plan on going to Delaware Valley Sports Center for this course.

Also
    If someone could give me advice on a first gun I should look towards getting/practicing with. A medium sized pistol, preferably ammunition affordable.

Thank you in advance!
    Good idea taking a class. It's the responsible thing to do if you're new to guns, and you'll find many experienced gun owners enroll in advanced classes to hone their skills.

If you want practical and mid-sized with cheaper ammo then I'd recommend 9mm. You'll find they vary in size from small to full size, just remember that a small pistol does not mean it's easier to shoot.
    A Ruger LC9 (small) and a Glock 17 (full size) will shoot the same size round (both 9mm), and a larger pistol has more mass behind it to fight recoil. The Ruger is easier to conceal and lighter in weight, but at the cost of only holding 8 rounds, while the Glock has a longer barrel (better accuracy) and holds 18 rounds but is heavier and quite frankly shaped like a brick.
    Keeping with that I would say look at Springfield XD, Glock 19, or a Ruger SR9. All are (or can be) considered mid-size and are reputable brands for a reasonable price. There are many others out there so please don't limit yourself to just those brands or models, they're just the first to come to mind.

PS-There's a gun show in Oaks this weekend, you'll be able to see tons of different options there if you're interested.

(Philadelphia County)

Thank you for the response.
    A Glock was one of the pistols I was thinking about.
    I seem many people post about the Ruger P95 and noticed they are only around $400 brand new . Any comments on the Ruger p95?

I will definitely go with a 9mm.

I wish I could go to the gun show but school finals begin next week.
    I suppose I could go to a shooting range and test out a multitude of pistols before buying.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by djr5252 View Post
    Thank you for the response.
    A Glock was one of the pistols I was thinking about.
    I seem many people post about the Ruger P95 and noticed they are only around $400 brand new . Any comments on the Ruger p95?

I will definitely go with a 9mm.

I wish I could go to the gun show but school finals begin next week.
    I suppose I could go to a shooting range and test out a multitude of pistols before buying.
    Ruger P95 is a fine gun, but very heavy! A Glock is a great gun, but first timers might find it a little tough with no safety ( I know most guys I get into shooting want to start with a gun with a manual safety until they feel comfortable ). LC9 is a good first choice if you want one that is large enough to target shoot with, but small enough to carry. It's what one of my friends went with for his first gun and he was very happy with it. As mentioned, go to the gunshow this weekend and handle many Congrats. and enjoy!

(Philadelphia County)

The P95 seems much bigger than the LC9.
    I have big hands and fat fingers and the P95 seems to be bigger (just by my examination in the pictures of course.)

I watched videos of assembly/disassembly of the Glock and noticed there was no safety. I would very much want a safety for my first gun considering my inexperience with guns.

The LC9 weighs 1.11 lbs while the P95 weighs 1.69 lbs.
    I wouldn't mind the heavier option, especially if it is only $400 brand new.
    I plan on getting my concealed carry but just because it would be stupid not to have it if I buy a gun, but doesn't necessarily mean I will conceal carry it.
    My intended purpose is to have home defense (going to buy a gun safe for it and lock it up nice and safe) and only take it out to go to a shooting range.

The way Philadelphia is going, I figured a gun would be the best defense for my home. Greed is getting the best of most leading to home robberies. Better off being prepared than not!

I want to definitely attend the Oak gun show on Sunday.

But yeah.

Thank you both for the comments and reply.

If anyone could suggest anything else that a beginner should do or be interested in, just shoot me a reply. I am very interested. My girlfriend is against the idea of a gun, so any safety tips much appreciated.

(Bucks County)

9mm is probably the best all around caliber when including ammo costs into the equation. I'd advise you to rent a couple of pistols first do that you can figure out what you like and don't like, what you shoot well and don't.

The recommendations above are good ones - I'd add the S&W M&P9. The full size version was my own first choice because it felt best in my hand. OTOH, it took me a while to shoot it as well as I could shoot the Ruger SR9 FS which I also had rented.

If you're not looking to carry (at least this pistol), and you're not going to rent first, I'd advise sticking with the full size versions. There are a lot of considerations to carrying a pistol, and you may want a different one for that purpose.

A Ruger p-95 was my first pistol, they are a good solid pistol, very rugged and reliable. They are also very reasonably priced, especially used, for example, I just saw one in a local gun shop for $269 in perfect condition, been kind of kicking myself for not picking it up. Many of the other options which have been mentioned would work well for you also, such as the XD, M&P, SR-9, or Glock, but I think that a used P-95 will be hard to beat from a value standpoint. I would advise against a compact like the LC9 pistol as your first, they will have more recoil, and will be harder to control and shoot accurately starting out, which can frustrate a beginner. My best advise to you would be to look at, handle, and shoot as many options as possible, and pick whatever works best for you.
    Last edited by 87hurricane; December 15th, 2012 at 06:48 AM.

(Chester County)

I'm a glock guy. From an operation standpoint it doesnt get easier. But you are good on taking a course. You have to drill the rules of firearm safety into your head and believe in them and practice them. Stupid accidents hurt all of us gun owners. This is regardless of what you get. Thank god we still all have a RIGHT to own a gun, but please take your responsibility seriously. Stupid accidents are killing people and making our lives more difficult witht the antigun campaign.

So with that in mind, there is a discipline to be followed with any gun. The p95 definitely has the edge on price. It also gives you the opportunity to practice loading your pistol, putting on the safety, drawing and removing the safety, etc. when a firearm has a manually operated safety i think it helps remind new shooters about safety. that is of course if your instructor gets you in the habit of using it. Once you have the rules of firearm safety down and you follow them habitually, the type of firearm you purchase wont matter as it will then just be a matter of preference. By then you will be addicted and have to have one of each kind anyway. Good luck