Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default slide lock issue with browning hi power

so i was at the range today, went through about 100 rounds of PMC and 100 of winchester white box, i start shooting some blazer brass ammo and noticed that the slide was failing to lock back upon emptying the magazine, i tried several times and it only locked back once. would low quality ammo cause this to happen? it was doing fine with the PMC and winchester ammo (aside from one jam and an FTE on the last round of a magazine with the WWB stuff. i had no issues at all with the 100 rounds of PMC.)
    oh and yes, this is the same hi power i was having extractor issues with a while back, i replaced all springs and bought a new internal extractor from jack first and that fixed the constant jamming/FTE issues i had with it.

(Monroe County)

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: slide lock issue with browning hi power

the magazines i was using are two brand new mec-gar 15 rd mags and the old 13rd mag the gun came with. they all locked the slide back just fine with the other ammo and will lock it back fine when cycled by hand. sorry i forgot to mention that, but it slipped my mind. i seriously doubt the followers on the mec-gar mags went bad after being used only a few times. i would have double checked witht he other two brands of ammo i had to make sure it wasnt a problem with the gun itself at that point, but i had run out of the PMC and WWB when i started shooting the blazer ammo.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by SnowKitty View Post
    the magazines i was using are two brand new mec-gar 15 rd mags and the old 13rd mag the gun came with. they all locked the slide back just fine with the other ammo and will lock it back fine when cycled by hand. sorry i forgot to mention that, but it slipped my mind. i seriously doubt the followers on the mec-gar mags went bad after being used only a few times.
    Hmm.....interesting. How long has it been since you replaced all the other springs? I wonder if they're still too stiff/strong and need broken in. Maybe the lower power ammo is the cause after all.

My Browning HPs do not like light loads. They seem to thrive on loads that are on the heavy side. Maybe the Blazer is a little light for your gun.
    Courage is being scared to death--but saddling up any way. John Wayne

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by CHEMICAL View Post
    Hmm.....interesting. How long has it been since you replaced all the other springs? I wonder if they're still too stiff/strong and need broken in. Maybe the lower power ammo is the cause after all.
    it's probably only been a few hundred rounds. i know i have less than 1000 through it since i replaced the recoil, hammer, and firing pin springs. hell i even replaced the magazine catch spring on it (only one i didnt bother using out of the wolff kit was the spring for that stupid magazine disconnect safety :P oh and the extractor spring since... well, mk1s don't have that, haha.) this hi power's had a rough life before i got ahold of it, most of it's finish is worn off and the springs it came with were heavily worn (the hammer spring had it's ends worn flat!) the guy at sarco told me it was an old military sidearm, i think imported from israel? if it makes any difference, it's a belgian FN/browning, not a clone.

(Monroe County)

Yah, its a military weapon, meant to be fired with hot NATO spec 9mm not the cheap "range ammo" you get at Walmart etc.
    AS long as it fires up the regular ammo ok i wouldnt sweat it .
    Just feed her what she likes.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by mrnyman View Post
    Yah, its a military weapon, meant to be fired with hot NATO spec 9mm not the cheap "range ammo" you get at Walmart etc.
    AS long as it fires up the regular ammo ok i wouldnt sweat it .
    Just feed her what she likes.
    hmm, so would buying NATO spec ammo be a good idea? if i can find a cheap supplier online i may do that. this gun ended up being quite a project, lol. i've worked most, if not all of the bugs out of it so far. now all i really need to do is buy some new grips for it, since the ones it came with are in sad shape and maybe get around to having it refinished.

(Allegheny County)

My guess is you may be riding the slide release.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by arjohnson View Post
    My guess is you may be riding the slide release.
    nahh, i made sure i wasn't touching it. and it only started doing this after i started using the blazer ammo.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast