Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Snyder County)

Default So I got pulled over...

So I got pulled over today, for the tint on my windows. I bought the car this was over 2 years ago from NY state and just never did anything. Sure, I assumed it wasn't legal. But I never took it off. Anyway...got a ticket for $108. LEO said that if I took off the tint from all windows and plead not guilty, that I might get the ticket taken away by the judge. I questioned about having to take off the tint from all windows. He said that was the law and said I could look up the code I was charged with on the internet. So I did.

I was cited with violation of PAVC Section 4524 subsection e1. In that it says:

(e) Sun screening and other materials prohibited.--
    (1) No person shall drive any motor vehicle with any sun screening device or other
    material which does not permit a person to see or view the inside of the vehicle through the
    windshield, side wing or side window of the vehicle.
    By reading that, it seems that I wouldn't have to take off the tint from the rear windows. And I am worried about it because of my rear defrosters. So curious about what everyone else thinks that section cited means.

Also, two small things. He tested my windows with a tint meter. But it doesn't say anything about a meter or calibration date on my ticket. Do they have to be calibrated like speed testing equipment does? And my DOB is wrong, and thing with that?

Thanks guys...
    Attached Images Attached Images

(Indiana County)

Default Re: So I got pulled over...

I don't know how much this helps, but my truck has dark tint across the rear sliding windshield and I've never had any problems about it. I have no tinting on my side or front glass.

Not sure how much the wrong DOB on the citation will help your case. There are some websites out there on beating tickets, they might give you some more information.

(Beaver County)

I got pulled over last summer for the tint on my Bronco windows. The cop was actually pretty nice, he let me go with a warning. He told me to just get rid of the dark tint on the driver and passenger side front windows. The rear side windows are almost too dark to see through from any distance. He said those were fine. The stuff I had to take off the front was the same as the stuff I have on the back.
    Attached Images Attached Images

(Delaware County)

Here's a thread where this was discussed:

http://www.pafoa.org/forum/lounge-10...ndow-tint.html

One of our LEO's responded in that thread with the law quoted.

Here's another:

http://www.pafoa.org/forum/lounge-10...tml#post112524

From what I remember the front passenger windows along with the windshield are not allowed to be tinted, the rest is ok.

Bill

on cars you need to have atleast 70% light transmittance all the way around, on trucks/vans/SUV's ect ect you could block out everything behind the drivers seat if you really wanted to, but the front 2 windows need to have the 70%.

since its an officer safety issue you won't get much lenience from the magistrate
    Last edited by XD45; March 17th, 2008 at 07:31 PM.

So, according to your date of birth, you have not been born yet! So how could you even be driving if you do not exist? Might be a good technicality.

(Snyder County)

Quote Originally Posted by XD45 View Post
    on cars you need to have atleast 70% light transmittance all the way around, on trucks/vans/SUV's ect ect you could block out everything behind the drivers seat if you really wanted to, but the front 2 windows need to have the 70%.

since its an officer safety issue you won't get much lenience from the magistrate
    But the law that I got cited for doesn't say a percentage. And doesn't clarify front or back windows.

I have seen things cited from the PA Administrative Code on this. Is the PA Administrative Code actually law in PA?

Again, the law I got cited for breaking does not say anything about 70%.

(Chester County)

pa law doesnt specify a percentage, just the ability to be able to see into the car. you can look it up there are whole forums dedicated to it. you can have any window tinted including the front windows as long as you can see through them, that is the part that is up to interpretation. id fight it.

Quote Originally Posted by c.sander View Post
    pa law doesnt specify a percentage, just the ability to be able to see into the car. you can look it up there are whole forums dedicated to it. you can have any window tinted including the front windows as long as you can see through them, that is the part that is up to interpretation. id fight it.
    Penndot inspection has 70%

(Allegheny County)

More than a few years ago, I had a truck with tint on the side windows and on the rear slider. Got pulled over. I was told to remove it from the side windows to get out of the ticket. Removed it and got out of paying $180. Heard later that the company I had install it was suing PA because he said they were infringing on some business something or other??? Long story short, he lost and was ordered to send a refund to his customers the price they paid for his installations, because they were being done "illegally". He isn't in business any longer.

Remove the tint where you have to in order to get out of the ticket and go on with life man. There are more important things in life to worry about.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast