Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: Venison hot dogs?

The guy that cooks for our camp, usually 4-5 guys total, made sloppy Joes from venison this time out. Well, he cooked it. Not sure where he got it.
    Question. Assuming it came from a meat processor , do they add nitrates as preservative ? I ask because I get raging migraines from nitrates and can usually smell it in the air while it's cooking . This time I thought I smelled it, but the cabin was smoky from a poorly set damper, so I wasn't sure.
    Anyway, an hour after dinner I was wishing for death, and I still am. Dinner was Saturday night. I'm not trying to place blame, just identifying source so I can avoid it next time.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Manxdriver View Post
    The guy that cooks for our camp, usually 4-5 guys total, made sloppy Joes from venison this time out. Well, he cooked it. Not sure where he got it.
    Question. Assuming it came from a meat processor , do they add nitrates as preservative ? I ask because I get raging migraines from nitrates and can usually smell it in the air while it's cooking . This time I thought I smelled it, but the cabin was smoky from a poorly set damper, so I wasn't sure.
    Anyway, an hour after dinner I was wishing for death, and I still am. Dinner was Saturday night. I'm not trying to place blame, just identifying source so I can avoid it next time.
    I have never heard of anyone putting nitrites in fresh ground meat and I would assume that is what you use for sloppy joes. Nitrites are added to any sausages that are smoked. It cures the meat and keeps you from getting botulism. It also changes the taste and gives the red color you see in hot dogs. Add some nitrites to pork and it tastes like ham. Without it it will taste like roast pork.

You only add a few miligrams of nitrites per pound of meat. Then the nitrite turns into nitric oxide which reacts and cures the meat. So most of it gets deactivated by the time you eat it. I don't think you were smelling any nitrite fumes from the meat. My guess is the smoke from the fire could be the cause of your migraines. Smoke is known contains compounds called NOx. And guess what NOx is. It is nitric oxide, the same chemical the nitrates form.
    Last edited by Delkal; December 11th, 2017 at 12:10 PM.

(Berks County)

Yep, if the meat is frozen no preservatives would be needed. Save yourself a lot of trouble and just get the venison doggies at the Oaks Gun Show this weekend.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Lehigh County)

You might want to find out if he used a seasoning sauce or packet of some kind, and check the ingredients list on that. It might be helpful for future avoidance.
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

(Bucks County)

He's a good guy, but he's als one of those people that 'knows better what is good for you' than you do. "How do you know you want like the taste of fried dogcrap if you don't try it?" Because I wont! " well, you're eating it right now, Hahahaha!" Yeah that guy.
    Last year he Tried the 'guess what is in the stew' game at dinner. As he laughed at the disgusted, and horrified faces at the table, I pushed my plate away, Slid the chair back, and calmly stared stared at him, and said, "guess what kind of ammo is in my pistol!" Everyone there said he deserved it.
    If I want to eat some vile, or disgusting, or new thing, I find it for myself. I'm not into surprises. Especially when it comes to food.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by gghbi View Post
    You might want to find out if he used a seasoning sauce or packet of some kind, and check the ingredients list on that. It might be helpful for future avoidance.
    They banned putting nitrites in premade seasoning mixtures in the 70's. It is always added separately before curing.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    They banned putting nitrites in premade seasoning mixtures in the 70's. It is always added separately before curing.
    It just occurred to me. Could it be MSG? My brother has issues with headaches from that.

(MSG = monosodium glutamate for you who may not know) Used as a meat tenderizer and flavor enhancer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glutamate_flavoring
    Last edited by gghbi; December 11th, 2017 at 01:40 PM.
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by gghbi View Post
    It just occurred to me. Could it be MSG? My brother has issues with headaches from that.

(MSG = monosodium glutamate for you who may not know) Used as a meat tenderizer and flavor enhancer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glutamate_flavoring
    Yeah, MSG is another of my triggers for migraine. I used to get at least five a week, now, with three bp meds and a water pill, I'm down to three/year. That is unless some dick serves me a meal with a triggering additive.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12