Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Made my decision, here is the end result

If any of you remember me from a month or two ago, I was seeking advice on a variety of things about handguns as I sought out what I wanted to get for my first pistol.

I finally decided what to get based on a few things (cost, reviews, reputation, comfort, style, etc).

Also, a major event that ultimately made my mind up... I visited a gun show and held and examined all the models that I had been researching online (Word of advice if anyone inexperienced is reading this: Go handle and examine every gun you think you might be interested in at a store or a gun show in person BEFORE making a purchase!) I ended up not liking most of the guns that I had been seriously considering, and liking some that I did not seriously consider.

I decided to go with a Ruger P95 9mm, 15+1 with two mags and a plastic case. Like I said this is my first gun, so the price was a big factor; however, the comfort of the gun was huge. Only a Browning PRO 9mm felt comparable as far as comfort for my hand. At the gun show I held and compared Glocks, the Springfield XD and XDM's, the SW M&P's, the CZ's, Beretta PX4 sub-compact, etc etc... And I'm just going to go on record while we're here by saying that while I'm sure Glocks function flawlessy, they are absolutely fugly. I'd put Hi-Point as most fugly, with Glock as the runner up. Anyways,
    the Ruger was on my radar but wasn't necessarily on my "serious" list, but after holding it, pricing it, and comparing it... I walked out of there with a brand new one and 250rds of ammo for less than $440.00.

After reading the manual and learning the ins and outs of the gun, it is extremely easy to field strip... I like all of the features, the decocker/safety etc etc.. Very pleased with the initial impressions.

So after I get familiar with it and put a few hundred rounds (atleast) through it, I will post a review for anyone that's interested.

Thanks again to everyone who chipped in their advice and helped me towards my first pistol purchase.
    Attached Images Attached Images

(Cambria County)

Default Re: Made my decision, here is the end result

Seems like a NICE purchase!

ENJOY.... be safe.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mK2JYfZAmA When will America become America?

(Cumberland County)

Congrats. While the Ruger centerfire autoloaders are one area I've never ventured people seem to love them. Personally I think they are ugly as sin, but that's just my opinion.

(Philadelphia County)

i own one, its not very good looking in a picture for some reason but better looking in person. its still not the best or better looking pistols out there but for a few years and several thousands rounds, its definitely a keeper.

ruger cs will take care of you if you do come up with any problems down the line.

Congratulations on your first pistol purchase. I too purchased a Ruger as my first pistol, many many years ago. Price and styling were a big factor for me back then. I stand behind the Ruger pistols as reliable firearms. What you did was correct to a point. Remember, you are going to have to FIRE this pistol. I know that price, looks and feel play a huge factor in buying a pistol, but ultimately shootability should be the determining factor. You certainly wouldn't buy a car or truck without driving it, right? My point is, you may have been able to get over the "fugliness" of a Glock after comparing the trigger travel and reset compared to your Ruger or the M and P etc... Again, not bashing the Ruger, but I don't think that you gave the others a fair shake. Let us know how it shoots, and be safe!
    Jules

(Lawrence County)

Cool Re: Made my decision, here is the end result

Congrats ! It's the first but I'm sure not the last pistol purchase. I always liked the P95 The only problem for me is the backwards to my CZ's safety. Rugers are always a great bang for your buck firearm in my book. Happy shooting.

(Cumberland County)

Congrats - most important is that you like it I don't own one, but hear they are a work horse ! Enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by ar15jules View Post
    Congratulations on your first pistol purchase. I too purchased a Ruger as my first pistol, many many years ago. Price and styling were a big factor for me back then. I stand behind the Ruger pistols as reliable firearms. What you did was correct to a point. Remember, you are going to have to FIRE this pistol. I know that price, looks and feel play a huge factor in buying a pistol, but ultimately shootability should be the determining factor. You certainly wouldn't buy a car or truck without driving it, right? My point is, you may have been able to get over the "fugliness" of a Glock after comparing the trigger travel and reset compared to your Ruger or the M and P etc... Again, not bashing the Ruger, but I don't think that you gave the others a fair shake. Let us know how it shoots, and be safe!
    Jules
    Certainly agree with you here, and if I had more options for firing them before purchasing I definitely would have tried to do so. I'm in a very rural area with no actual shooting range (unless you count a redneck dirt mound), and no place to rent/fire weapons within a considerable drive.. SO what I did on this front is rely on the customer reviews. There were 71 of them, and 66 were 5 star (with adequate detail). So with the other things mentioned to my liking, I felt comfortable relying on the reviews until I purchased one and put it through the paces for now.

(Westmoreland County)

Congratulations on your first pistol. I hope it serves you well.

(Beaver County)

Nice purchase.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast