Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

(York County)

Default how to sell a handgun in PA?

Hi all,

I am going to be selling a handgun in the near future, and would like to know how to do it. I'd prefer to use my local FFL/gunsmith to broker the deal, if possible.

If it's a face-to-face sale, can both parties simply go the my FFL (or any other FFL), the buyer hand me the money, and then the FFL transers the handgun to the buyer?

If I need to ship the gun outside PA, what's the best way to handle that? What's the best/recommended way for the seller to send the funds? Perhaps send the money to my FFL (impartial 3rd party)? Could I then have my FFL send the handgun to the buyer's FFL?

Thanks for the help. This is my first firearm sale.

Chris

(Erie County)

Default Re: how to sell a handgun in PA?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris17404 View Post
    Hi all,

I am going to be selling a handgun in the near future, and would like to know how to do it. I'd prefer to use my local FFL/gunsmith to broker the deal, if possible.

If it's a face-to-face sale, can both parties simply go the my FFL (or any other FFL), the buyer hand me the money, and then the FFL transers the handgun to the buyer? Yes

If I need to ship the gun outside PA, what's the best way to handle that? What's the best/recommended way for the seller to send the funds? Perhaps send the money to my FFL (impartial 3rd party)? Could I then have my FFL send the handgun to the buyer's FFL? You can have your FFL ship to the buyers FFL. Or you can ship the gun yourself to the buyers FFL (if that FFL will accept a gun from a non-FFL, some don't like to)

Thanks for the help. This is my first firearm sale.

Chris

Really it's upto the FFL you are shipping it to. Some don't like accepting a handgun from a Non-FFL. The only constant is if your shipping out of state you must ship to a FFL; if selling instate you can FTF at an FFL or if you ship again it must go to an FFL.

I have sold a few firearms lately, so that being said...if you are going to sell out of state...I would talk to the buyer and see if his FFL dealer will accept a firearm from a non FFL holder. If you must ship using your FFL dealer, they will more than likely charge you to ship it...for their trouble. With shipping cost going way up...I'd try to do a local deal if you can. I wouldn't want my FFL dealer to know what I sold my firearm for...it's none of his/her business. As far as payment is concerned...USPS money order is very safe. The buyer won't need to insure it through the post office if it's one of their MO. I have received payment through paypal too...whatever you do DO NOT mention firearm when using paypal...they will lock your account.

(Dauphin County)

Be sure to get a signed copy of the ffl your shipping to before shipping. UPS will kill ya with their charges the USPS will ship for about a third. BUT I think you must be a FFL holder to ship thru the postal service. Depending on the dealer if you package and get everything ready for him that all he must do is go to the PO and do the paper work you might get off cheaper than UPS.I'm returning a pistol to TX this week .I have everything ready to take to my dealer tomorrow for a wed, ship. you can go the PO and get a free Priority shipping box the correct size. hope this helpls. --JMJ--
    "AMERICANS Used To ROAR Like LIONS For LIBERTY,- NOW They BLEAT Like SHEEP For SECURITY."-_Norman Vincent Peale-____________________REMEMBER. "SECURITY WITHOUT LIBERTY Is Called PRISON."---J.L.W

(Centre County)

Above reply has it right, ONLY an FFL can send a handgun through the USPS to another FFL. A non licensee can send it using any other commercial transport. You will need a copy of the receiving FFL license to show to FedEX or UPS. Also FedEx and UPS rules (not BATFE) state that you must ship all handguns overnight (a higher charge, but I think this is to stop any possible internal theft as the package is handled differently). USPS is the cheapest way to go if your local FFL will do it for you (with Priority shipping and tracking and insurance it is very safe).

FTF can be done at any FFL that will do it (you do not have to divulge your selling price to the FFL). Different FFL's will charge different amounts for the transfer.

Hope this helps.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Delaware County)

USPS I believe has a limited amount of insurance. UPS will give a higher insurance rate.

(Cumberland County)

Many years ago a boyfriend gave me a small handgun after my house was broken into. It's an RG 22 and I want to get rid of it. I have a feeling it's unregistered, and while I could use even the small amount of money that it's worth, am I better off just turning it in to the police? Would I get in trouble if I try to sell it?

(Tioga County)

There isn't a gun registry in PA so they say. Just take it to your local gun shop and sell it.
    Better yet shop a few places and see what they will offer you. As long as it's not on a stolen list your good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by grb0914 View Post
    Many years ago a boyfriend gave me a small handgun after my house was broken into. It's an RG 22 and I want to get rid of it. I have a feeling it's unregistered, and while I could use even the small amount of money that it's worth, am I better off just turning it in to the police? Would I get in trouble if I try to sell it?

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by grb0914 View Post
    Pa. has no gun registry, so you needn't worry about that aspect.

However, I hate to be the bearer of bad news: If you weren't married to him at the time, and you received the firearm in PA, you were the recipient party to an illegal handgun transfer.

If there is a "no questions asked" gun amnesty program in your area you may wish to consider disposing of the firearm that way.
    The material presented herein is for informational purposes only, is not guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up to date, does not constitute legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT act or rely on any information in this post or e-mail without seeking the advice of an attorney YOU have retained.

In plain English, while I am an attorney, I'm NOT your attorney, and I'm NOT giving you legal advice.

She should sell the gun to a gun shop.

PA law made it a crime for her boyfriend to transfer the gun to the her, but as the recipient she herself doesn't violate Title 18, Section 6111 (c). Even if she did, there's a statute of limitations that applies, and it's likely less than "many years".

The gun itself is arguably contraband, if the cops had a reason to lean on her, and they knew the facts, but her continued possession doesn't appear to violate any law of which I'm aware. I doubt that they'd be in a position to seize it from her as she took it (unloaded) to the gun shop for disposition.

For the amount of money involved, I believe she'd be safe in selling it to any gun shop, providing her identification as "seller", taking the cash and walking away. If the gun was originally stolen before her boyfriend gave it to her, it might eventually be traced back to her and she'll owe a refund to the gun shop, if they ask her for one. A lot of shops don't bother trying to track down the seller. What would happen would be she'd sell it for $150 to the shop, who would sell it for $200 to JoeBob, who would be arrested for DUI 5 years later while carrying the gun. The police run the serial number, it comes up stolen, and seize it. JoeBob goes back to the shop and demands a refund. The shop gives the $200 to him, then the shop manager decides that he doesn't feel like trying to track down the girl to get his $150 back.

I just don't see any criminal culpability for selling an improperly transferred gun "many years" later to an FFL gun shop.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast