Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Centre County)

Default Re: how to sell a handgun in PA?

Here is what I know about selling/shipping firearms. If I am wrong please let me know the chapter and verse showing the correct answer

LONG ARM:

Face to Face, no paperwork, get money, give firearm. (Best to give receipt and get the receivers drivers license # just in case). Many people will go through a FFL just so they have a paper trail in case the firearm is used in a crime, is stolen, etc.

Shipping to another person must go through an FFL
    A non licensee can ship to a FFL (in state or out of state) USPS or commercial carrier
    A FFL can ship to a non licensee (in state or out of state) to return a repaired long arm but not a new long arm, USPS or commercial carrier
    A FFL can ship to another FFL (in state or out of state) any long arm, USPS or commercial carrier.

HANDGUN:

Face to Face, must go through FFL (for PICS), get money, give gun to FFL, FFL does PICS, gives gun to buyer.

EXCEPT: Parent to child, grandparent to grandchild, sibling to sibling, unless the receiving person is not allowed by law to own a firearm. You do not have to go through an FFL (no PICS required)

Shipping to another person must go through FFL (even if no PICS required)
    A non licensee can ship to a FFL (commercial carrier only, cannot use USPS)
    A FFL cannot ship a handgun (even after repair) to a non licensee
    A FFL can ship to another FFL any handgun, USPS or commercial carrier
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Delaware County)

I usually do the USPS or UPS shipping label from the computer. I guess on line your limited for insurance amount.

I'm in Glenolden. I belong to Delaware County Field & Stream which is in Brookhaven, next to Aston.

(Lackawanna County)

I have to insert a few comments here, can't stand the pain.....Are some of you saying you actually have taken a gun of any kind to the United States Post Office in a box and mailed it ??.......without telling them it was a gun?......Don't do that. ...........I have legally sent handguns to the mfg. for repairs and had them returned to me, FEDEX bothways, legally.... FEDEX and UPS both want to know there is a gun in the box, you can find their rules on their websites. FEDEX is easiest....Don't ever ship a gun to a private person yourself. Go FFL to FFL. Different states, different laws. To complex to get deep here.......

I hope none of you have actually exchanged money for a gun and NOT gone to an FFL to do a transfer. (rifle or handgun) It's cheap and easy and may keep you out of trouble. Big trouble. It costs $20 to $30. If the FFL is a friend or you are a regular customer they will do it for the instant check fee. You don't tell the FFL how much money is being exchanged. You just tell him you want to do an transfer. The $ is your business. He does not collect tax from you for the price of the gun, he just does the legal things.....It's worth the money. I have bought, sold and traded at least 10 handguns in the last 2 years, legally with no hassle.....Guntrade is under federal law and state law. ALL guntrade.....Believe it or not they track all exchanges and keep a record!! Ask your FFL what paperwork he has to send in for EVERY handgun sale.......now also, guns exchanges from years ago (no specifics here) were not tracked like today. I bought a shotgun in a pawn shop for $40 in 1980 in Virginia and walked out.... Now don't get me wrong, I don't like these rules. I just don't want anymore NEW laws. The more people they catch not following the rules the more laws they will make!....I don't want to see anyone get in trouble either!!

Best advise, have a question about buying or selling?...go ask a reputable FFL.

(Allegheny County)

ok....i had this same question.. how to legally sell a hand gun? I did not want to just hand this thing over to anyone. So i should use a reputable FFL? (ok, whats that??)
    secondly, how can i find out what the resale value of my gun is?
    thanks in advance.

(Allegheny County)

Talking Re: how to sell a handgun in PA?

Quote Originally Posted by venusnpaul View Post
    ok....i had this same question.. how to legally sell a hand gun? I did not want to just hand this thing over to anyone. So i should use a reputable FFL? (ok, whats that??)
    secondly, how can i find out what the resale value of my gun is?
    thanks in advance.
    It is actually very easy....
    1) Find a buyer
    2) Make best deal in your favor
    3) Get money from Buyer
    4) You and buyer go to a FFL to complete the Fed & State papework
    5) You have money.....Buyer has gun (If he/she passes the Instant Check)
    6) Spend your money on more guns or ammo
    7) Don't tell wife about extra money!!
    "Ya only need legs to kick ass baby boy" - Bartender in Feast III

(Allegheny County)

what is FFL please?

any idea where i can find out what my gun is worth?

(Allegheny County)

FFL is a Federal Firearms License holder. They can process the paper work for you. Gunshops are FFL holders. Also, a guy on the forum here handles transfers too. His user id is Gunrunners of PA.

I would look at http://www.gunbroker.com and/or http://www.gunsamerica.com to get an idea of the value of your gun.

(Centre County)

All gunshops and commercial (not necessarily the hobby types) gunsmiths are FFL holders. Most gunshops will do transfers, some will charge more than others so look around but remember to try to support your local gunshop/gunsmith when possible. I also handle transfers (center of the state - State College area). Typical charge is around $20 (which should include the PICS paperwork). Also, if the FFL does not know you or the buyer/seller, they may want to run the serial number of the firearm to insure it has not been reported stolen. Don't take offense if they want to do that, they are only looking out for you and their business (selling/transferring stolen firearms will land you in heap big trouble with the State and Feds.

There are several publications that will give you a good estimate on the value of firearms. The Blue Book of Firearms is one of the best. A local gunshop should also be able to help. Just like cars though, if you are going to spend your money at that gunshop, they will probably going to give you a little more that if you are just looking to sell outright to them. If you are going to sell outright to anyone, then get an estimate of what it is worth and then add extra to get to what you think you can sell it for.

If you're frugal, you can go into a Barnes and Noble or other big bookstore and peruse the firearms books (I know the local B&N carries the Blue Book of Firearms) to get and idea of the worth of the firearm.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Cumberland County)

Many years ago a boyfriend gave me a small handgun after my house was broken into. It's an RG 22 and I want to get rid of it. I have a feeling it's unregistered, and while I could use even the small amount of money that it's worth, am I better off just turning it in to the police? Would I get in trouble if I try to sell it?

(Tioga County)

There isn't a gun registry in PA so they say. Just take it to your local gun shop and sell it.
    Better yet shop a few places and see what they will offer you. As long as it's not on a stolen list your good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by grb0914 View Post
    Many years ago a boyfriend gave me a small handgun after my house was broken into. It's an RG 22 and I want to get rid of it. I have a feeling it's unregistered, and while I could use even the small amount of money that it's worth, am I better off just turning it in to the police? Would I get in trouble if I try to sell it?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast