Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default 7.62x54 Ammo Price at Harrisburg Show

For the Mosin Nagant owners here... I went to the Harrisburg Gun Show saturday and 7.62x54 prices were approx $10+ more per can than the previous shows I have been to in the past few months. The average price was $90 per spam can of 440 rounds. The 4 shows I attended from July to Nov (Harrisburg, Carlisle x 2 and Lebanon) all had consistent prices at $72 to $80.

I have a few hundred rounds and don't fire the MNs often so I have procrastinated buying more. I guess it's time to buy a can or two before it increases more.

On a positive note, sometimes it pays to dig through the junk at the shows.

One of the vendors (sorry, didn't get a name) had several very old and beat ammo cans under his table. It looked like they had been purchased from a former reloader or an auction. After going through all of them (and getting pretty dirty) I walked away with the following:

Three 500 count boxes of cast .45 semi wad cutter
    One 500 count box cast .40 155 RN
    360 rounds 5.45x39 Wolf + ammo can

Priced elsewhere this would have been at least $280 after taxes. I paid $150 and that was his initial offer. I guess in hindsight I could have countered with a lower amount but I didn't want one of the many guys behind me to jump in.

Anyway, it helped offset the $200 I paid for a single can of 5.45x39. This was about $30 over online prices but I have learned to buy when it's available and no one else had case/can prices of this stuff that were reasonable.

(York County)

Default Re: 7.62x54 Ammo Price at Harrisburg Show

Quote Originally Posted by MT1 View Post
    Anyway, it helped offset the $200 I paid for a single can of 5.45x39. This was about $30 over online prices but I have learned to buy when it's available and no one else had case/can prices of this stuff that were reasonable.
    Aim Surplus man. Buy a case of it for $160 per can, with shipping your probably still $50+ ahead.

Default Re: 7.62x54 Ammo Price at Harrisburg Show

By the time you add shipping and IF/WHEN it is available, the small amount saved doesn't offset the paperless trail a cash purchase allows me. Just my opinion.

I've done the online orders in the past. Of the half dozen orders I've placed, two came back days later as "unavailable/out of stock" and one was returned because the postal carrier decided he wanted a signature even though the shipper didn't require one. After batting .500 I decided to avoid internet orders when possible.
    Last edited by MT1; December 10th, 2012 at 06:37 PM.