Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default S&W J-frame grips - which one?

Just picked up a 642 airweight for the wife and am looking for a different grip to put on it that might have a bit of material on the backstrap to suck up some of the recoil. Any recommendations? Was thinking some sort of rubber...

What do you have on yours - photos?

Default Re: S&W J-frame grips - which one?

Hogues are the no-brainer. How bout a nice pair of gloves and some Spegels though http://www.craigspegel.com/
    and to the dust you shall return

(Pike County)

Does she intend to carry or is it just for target shooting? Pachmayr Declerator grips would soak up the recoil but would be harder to conceal. If you can find them Uncle Mike's Combat grips are good. They cover the backstrap and also soak up recoil. I use them on my 642 and like them
    Another option would be Crimson Trace Laser Grips. They cover the backstrap and have a laser. They are great for practicing trigger control. The down side is they're not cheap. There are many options out there.

(Lackawanna County)

I second the Pachmyer grips, i have them on my M36 chiefs Special and they work great at controling felt recoil.
    Government 99 and 44/100 % pure bullshit.

(Cumberland County)

While I love the stock S&W grips I usually switch to a Hogue Bantam because Safariland speedloaders don't clear the stock grips.

If ugly doesnt bother you the Pachmayr Compac is a great way to get a little extra hand on the gun and slightly decrease perceived recoil.

The Pachys on my 38-2

And the Hogues, which don't cover the back strap.

Here's what you really want though;

(Delaware County)

The Hogue Bantam is about as good a concealment grip as you can get. Nothing on the back strap, but more hand filling than the factory grips.

(Beaver County)

The Hogue Monogrip is probably gonna be your best option for comfort. The Monogrip is a slightly bigger version of the Bantam(in the above pics), it covers the back strap and it adds a third finger groove(for most hand sizes).
    That's what my cousin has on her's. My girlfriend also wants it when she get her 642. I haven't order one yet for my 442 but I think it's the one I'm going with(mostly because I don't wanna pay for VZs). They make them in Black, Pink, and "Zombie" Bright Green.

The Crimson Trace Grips come in 3. The LG-105 is the smallest, almost too small, it doesn't cover the back strap and is a 2 finger grip. The LG-405 is similar to the factory grip size/feel, but covers the back strap. The LG-305, like the Monogrip, adds room for the last finger(for most hand sizes), which in my opinion significantly increase comfort. I think the latter two come in pink but don't quote me on that.
    Just remember lasers can fail so it shouldn't be an alternative to learning proper shooting.

(Allegheny County)

Great - thanks for all the quick responses. I think I'll take a look at the Crimson Traces and the Hogues. Who makes that one that rwb1500 posted, that looks like rubber with a wood grain pattern? I thought I just saw those in a magazine but can't remember the maker...

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by jwramp View Post
    Great - thanks for all the quick responses. I think I'll take a look at the Crimson Traces and the Hogues. Who makes that one that rwb1500 posted, that looks like rubber with a wood grain pattern? I thought I just saw those in a magazine but can't remember the maker...
    VZ, some of the coolest grips around. They are G10.

https://vzgrips.com/

(Bucks County)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast