Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default ATF form process for Delaware County

Just got the paperwork for my first suppressor in Delaware county and was a little confused on the process when it was explained to me:

1) Was told I obviously need the local CLEO signoff on the form 4, I assume this is done at the Sheriffs office at the Media Courthouse, same place you go for a CCW permit? Correct?

2) I was told this same office would NOT do the fingerprinting so I had to go elsewhere for that, where am I to go for those if they are not done at the sheriffs office?

I appreciate any step by step from someone who has done this. Given the frustration that can arise from going to these places with their limited hours etc, I want to make sure I get it all correct the first time around. Thanks in advance.

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: ATF form process for Delaware County

A bit off topic but I would suggest setting up a trust to avoid all these hassles, photographs, finger prints, sigh off, etc.

(Delaware County)

TheLom, Im glad you brought this up because I have read about the NFA trust option and have a call into someone for more information. What I havent seen yet, is anyone on here disclosing what they paid to set up their trust. Hopefully I will know more in the next day or two to decide if its worth it or not. I do like the idea of a trust, however, with the $200 tax per item already, adding in a $$$$ trust on top of it starts to make these toys a little expensive.

Anyone had any experience with the NFA trust and would share cost information? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLom View Post
    A bit off topic but I would suggest setting up a trust to avoid all these hassles, photographs, finger prints, sigh off, etc.

(Chester County)

Get your photographs at a drug store... they are just passport photos. I believe you need a LEO to do the prints ( but I may be wrong), are you sure that the sheriff will not do the prints?

It is not really that hard to follow the directions, photos, prints, signature in that order.
    Hoplophobia is funny

(Westmoreland County)

Many places/lawyers charge $400-600 for the 'NFA Trust', some places 'online' are cheaper, and others do their own trusts for free. It's all a matter of what you want/need.

I always recommend the 'normal' individual route for NFA ownership unless there is a need otherwise.

The pictures you can even take and print yourself so long as they are 2"x2" passport style photos that clearly show your head and shouldes with no hat or anything.

The prints anyone can do technically, but I'd suggest your local LE as they have the ink and the practice.
    CDS ARMS.com - 'LIKE' Us - MG Rentals - Colt Defense AR-15 & Glock Certified Armorer

(Delaware County)

I wondered the same thing about the prints, am I able to get these the same day at the Sheriffs office in the media courthouse? Has anyone actually done this?

If not, where in Delaware county are people getting their prints done? Thanks for all the replies so far, it has been helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by West Chester View Post
    Get your photographs at a drug store... they are just passport photos. I believe you need a LEO to do the prints ( but I may be wrong), are you sure that the sheriff will not do the prints?

It is not really that hard to follow the directions, photos, prints, signature in that order.

Quote Originally Posted by ksf141 View Post
    TheLom, Im glad you brought this up because I have read about the NFA trust option and have a call into someone for more information. What I havent seen yet, is anyone on here disclosing what they paid to set up their trust. Hopefully I will know more in the next day or two to decide if its worth it or not. I do like the idea of a trust, however, with the $200 tax per item already, adding in a $$$$ trust on top of it starts to make these toys a little expensive.

Anyone had any experience with the NFA trust and would share cost information? Thanks.
    I would go individual like the poster above said. It not really all that much of a hassle and it's rock solid. With the trusts and such mistakes can be made and forms can still get passed and guess what you can find yourself in possession of an illegal NFA item. I have no examples for you of this happening but have been told its possiabe and like you said why pay the extra cash if it's not needed.

Back to your paper work process. Get a couple sets of passport photos at Walgreens or cvs. Call up your local pd and find out the hours or set up an appointment to have your prints done. It's usually free at your local pd. that's why you pay taxes. If not its like 10 or 20$. Take extra cards with you and get a few sets done. After you attach your pics to your forms and compete them. Call the sheriffs office at the court house and ask for the sheriffs secatary. I beleive her name is Debbie. She is super nice and very helpful. Ask her if it's ok to drop off your paperwork. Drop off your forms to Debbie at the Sherrifs office. Same pace you get your permit. You will need your drivers license and your carry permit for her to make copies of. Pick up your forms a few days later and send them away with your citizenship form and finger print cards. You don't need to drop of your finger prints and citizenship Form at the Sherrifs office. But make sure you have your pics attached.

I said to get extra pics and finger print cards because it's a few less steps for your next purchase. I usually get at least four finger print cards done when I go more if They have time and dont seem annoyed.

(Delaware County)

RGB03, thanks alot for this detailed reply. This helps clear things up. Now knowing what it costs for an NFA trust, I would certainly like to go the indiviual route if I can.

My worry was with having to go to the police department for prints (only during 9-4ish hours) and the courthouse (same odd hours and maybe one saturday a month), it would take me 6 months just to complete those two tasks because of scheduling conflicts.

In your experience will the sheriff in Media not sign the forms the same day you bring them in? I would drop them off I suppose but coming back means another trip back during their business hours..... Thanks again for your reply.

Good tip on the fingerprint cards, I might try to get a couple sets done. Can you go to any police department office for prints or does it need to be the township you reside in?

Quote Originally Posted by rgb03 View Post
    I would go individual like the poster above said. It not really all that much of a hassle and it's rock solid. With the trusts and such mistakes can be made and forms can still get passed and guess what you can find yourself in possession of an illegal NFA item. I have no examples for you of this happening but have been told its possiabe and like you said why pay the extra cash if it's not needed.

Back to your paper work process. Get a couple sets of passport photos at Walgreens or cvs. Call up your local pd and find out the hours or set up an appointment to have your prints done. It's usually free at your local pd. that's why you pay taxes. If not its like 10 or 20$. Take extra cards with you and get a few sets done. After you attach your pics to your forms and compete them. Call the sheriffs office at the court house and ask for the sheriffs secatary. I beleive her name is Debbie. She is super nice and very helpful. Ask her if it's ok to drop off your paperwork. Drop off your forms to Debbie at the Sherrifs office. Same pace you get your permit. You will need your drivers license and your carry permit for her to make copies of. Pick up your forms a few days later and send them away with your citizenship form and finger print cards. You don't need to drop of your finger prints and citizenship Form at the Sherrifs office. But make sure you have your pics attached.

I said to get extra pics and finger print cards because it's a few less steps for your next purchase. I usually get at least four finger print cards done when I go more if They have time and dont seem annoyed.

Quote Originally Posted by ksf141 View Post
    RGB03, thanks alot for this detailed reply. This helps clear things up. Now knowing what it costs for an NFA trust, I would certainly like to go the indiviual route if I can.

My worry was with having to go to the police department for prints (only during 9-4ish hours) and the courthouse (same odd hours and maybe one saturday a month), it would take me 6 months just to complete those two tasks because of scheduling conflicts.

In your experience will the sheriff in Media not sign the forms the same day you bring them in? I would drop them off I suppose but coming back means another trip back during their business hours..... Thanks again for your reply.

Good tip on the fingerprint cards, I might try to get a couple sets done. Can you go to any police department office for prints or does it need to be the township you reside in?

You can probably go anywhere that will be willing to do them. But they will charge you. Normally your local pd will do them for free. I do beleive you can go to the state police barracks and pay a fee to have them done.

Unfortunately the running around jumping thru hoops is the downside of going individual. The time spent doing these things is not worth it to some. That's a good reason for going trust etc. but not for me.

You could probably drop your forms off at the office on one of the Saturday's that they are open and pick them up on the next Saturday they are open. When you get the call your forms are done. Schedule a half day or leave early one day and schedule your fingerprinting or that day.

When cheif Kelly was there you coold make an appointment and get them signed that day. But he is no longer there.

Good luck.
    Last edited by rgb03; December 12th, 2012 at 10:06 PM.

(Delaware County)

Well,,,,, howd ya make out. I dropped my form on Thursday (Sheriff was out) and picked them up on Monday 1/7.
    George,
    So many guns, so little money.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast