Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: AK kit

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: AK kit

Quote Originally Posted by hoffamania89 View Post
    Since this post is already started, I have been wanting to pick up an ak74 in 5.45x39 but have recently looked into building one. Anyone have any tips or secrets they could share? Thanks in advance
    make sure you buy the correct receiver. also read here:

http://ak-builder.com/

(Montour County)

Since this post is already started, I have been wanting to pick up an ak74 in 5.45x39 but have recently looked into building one. Anyone have any tips or secrets they could share? Thanks in advance
    I just made a post on this last week.
    If you have any questions, I am no expert, but I can try to answer

(Butler County)

Would this be a good deal although it does not have a barrel or receiver? http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/comp....html?Itemid=0

(Montour County)

Would this be a good deal although it does not have a barrel or receiver? http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/comp....html?Itemid=0
    It is around the going price for that. However, fitting the barrel components on a barrel is a PITA, drilling the notches for the pins of the barrel components, and the notch for the barrel pin itself - after head spacing it in the trunnion that is.

All of that can be avoided by buying a kit with the barrel already head spaced and with the barrel components installed, and gas port drilled, etc.

If you have the means/tools to do all that, then get the kit, and the barrel. I would get a chrome lined barrel if I were you because all of the 5.45 you are going to shoot through it is going to be some corrosive stuff.

AK builder had some kits with the barrels installed already but just sold out it seems.

(Butler County)

Kslay it was your post that got me thinking about building one. I would buy the tools if needed because i dought this is gonna be a one time thing lol just like building an ar. I did an ar and want to do another soon but the aks first. Any other good websites for parts kits and such?

(Montour County)

There are a few guys out there that will do all the barrel work for you, Restoreit is one you can find hm on gunco and ak files I believe. check gunbroker for kits too

(York County)

If you're building with 80% flats I don't see how you can avoid getting a press from harbor freight.The best flats are from akbuilder.com.the top rails are already bent and trimmed.For your first build I suggest an ffl registered complete reciever.I've used nodak spud recievers and their quality is tops.If you need any other tools akbuilder.com has everything you need.
    now if you want to get crazy....
    http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbu...unami-warning!
    Don't leave home without it!

(Butler County)

Kits seemed to be all dried up or all bought up. I missed out on the glory days of $89 Rom. kits. I only built one and I learned a lot pretty quick. If I was going to build many more I'd get a press and a mill. I may buy a mill anyway. There ain't no guns to buy so I might as well spend it on something else.

(Lehigh County)

Question for you guys with more experience. Can a parts kit from a milled receiver be built on a stamped receiver? You would obviously need to locate a set of trunions from a stamped receiver, but are there any other differences that make it difficult or impossible? I don't plan on doing it, it's just something I've wondered about when I see milled receiver parts kits for cheap.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast