Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ACT 235 Help

(Allegheny County)

Default ACT 235 Help

I'm new to this so forgive me if I didn't post this in the right spot but Im trying to get my act 235 w/ weapons now im 20 years old and for the life of me i've searched for weeks and called PA STATE PD and no one can give me an answer so I need help, I want to get the act 235 so I can get a new job however it states that the act 235 is required now I am not able to get a pistol in the state of pa under the age of 21 my father passed away a while back and had no weapons that could be "gifted" so im asking everyone on here, does anyone know of a way that I can get a pistol to get a job in the field I want to get into, without getting a third degree felony on the way of doing so. I havent went into a class yet the school im looking to get into says I need to bring my own pistol.

Default Re: ACT 235 Help

Did you contact

Pennsylvania State Police
    Lethal Weapons Certification Unit
    8002 Bretz Drive
    Harrisburg, PA 17112-9748

Phone: (717) 346-4087 · Fax: (717) 346-7781

Or by email at mpolethalweapcert@pa.gov

Website: http://www.lethalweapons.state.pa.us...g_program/7611

(Northampton County)

I don't see how you are going to do this before turning 21. If you have a particular job in mind find out what handguns they allow there employees to carry. I just quit my job working on an armored truck and they had specs you had to follow such as no safety, no decocker, barrel length & caliber. That is the handgun you want to get certified with it will make it easier to start work.

Good Luck & be Safe.

(Allegheny County)

I did and they aren't giving me any information at all.

(Lycoming County)

A Sheriff is authorized to do a transfer for individuals under 21 yoa. An FFL can not. Seeing where you are located, I doubt that would happen in your County.

Some schools actually provide firearms. Check and see if any available to you have that option.

Depending on the job/employer some provide the firearm and you can only carry that firearm. I worked at the Limerick Nuclear Plant many years ago (over 25 years ago) when I was 18 and I was certified with their firearm.

One funny thing is, even if you jump through all the hoops to get a firearm transferred to you, someone else would still need to buy your ammo

You did not mention if your Mother is available to assist.

Be safe (and ask Mom).

Scott

Call over to the Armor Training Institue in Monaca. Its on the lethal weapons site's list of certified schools. I did a recert there about a year ago and if you need it they supply you with a firearm to use. They transport it to the range for you and ammo is part of your tuition. Just curious, do you have a job lined up or are you hoping to get a 235 job after the class?

(Allegheny County)

Do you have a letter from PSP approving you to attend act 235 training.

(Allegheny County)

Mom is able to assist me, I called the weapons training unit once more and the sheriffs department of allegheny county both have conflicting answers and neither make sense, I have a job lined up but I have to receive a 235 cert before I get hired, they are unable to assist me with a weapon I will have to call Monaca and see if I can at least get my cert from them and go from there.

(Allegheny County)

Research the laws about you carrying the weapon. Since you won't be able to get a LTCF there are numerous restrictions on you carrying that firearm to and from work.
    "Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final

(Westmoreland County)

The SOTA school in the West Mifflin area provides a gun for range day if needed.

http://securityofficerstrainingacade...ademy.com#2704

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast