Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Smile Gouldsboro PGC range??

Anyone have directions to Gouldsboro PGC range coming FROM Stroudsburg on Rt. 80? Much thanks in advance to anyone who can help!
    NRA Basic Firearms Instructor
    NRA Pistol Instructor
    NRA Range Safety Officer

"....the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed"

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Gouldsboro PGC range??

Rt 380 N to Rt 507 (exit #13 I think). Left off exit, go over bridge, follow paved road until it turns to dirt. Follow dirt road along river which will be on your left. Cross another bridge, water is now on your right, range is down the road a bit on your left.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve in PA View Post
    Rt 380 N to Rt 507 (exit #13 I think). Left off exit, go over bridge, follow paved road until it turns to dirt. Follow dirt road along river which will be on your left. Cross another bridge, water is now on your right, range is down the road a bit on your left.
    Thanks Steve, much appreciated.
    Heard some good and bad stories about the place so I'll keep my guard up while I'm here.
    NRA Pistol Instructor
    NRA Range Safety Officer

Yup, it's exit #13 off Rt. 380, North. Marked, 'Gouldsboro'

(Luzerne County)

Its probably not too bad now, nor will it be until the weather breaks. Once the weather breaks, I would not want to go there in the weekends. You might get lucky and find its an "off" weekend for people to be at the range.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve in PA View Post
    Its probably not too bad now, nor will it be until the weather breaks. Once the weather breaks, I would not want to go there in the weekends. You might get lucky and find its an "off" weekend for people to be at the range.

I'm hoping with it being Easter weekend it will be a bit empty perhaps.
    Probably check that place out and hit Sunset Hill for a few hours for old times sake.
    NRA Pistol Instructor
    NRA Range Safety Officer

(Philadelphia County)

I liked shooting there even with the guys unloading their street sweeper on a silouette halfway down the range.

I was told by an old-timer there not to leave my rifle unattended while changing my targets if I was the only person there.

(Monroe County)

I have had a lot of good experiences there, friendy people that have let me take a shot with what they have with them and vice versa. Also see the occasional person holding their pistol sideways, rapid firing and missing the targets. I do always keep my eyes or hands on my stuff, and keep what I'm not shooting at the time in the back of the truck. I'm gonna try to get up there this Friday..got a free day off because all the labor wanted off Good Friday, we shut the plant down for the day

After essentially being told that out-of-staters are "not welcome" at the PGC ranges in the other thread, I'm considering just sticking to Wicen's.

Quote Originally Posted by Headspace View Post
    After essentially being told that out-of-staters are "not welcome" at the PGC ranges in the other thread, I'm considering just sticking to Wicen's.
    Come on! PFOA has more than its fair share of, 'the young and the restless'. It's been my general experience that you need to have a pretty thick skin in order to post around here.

(It's better when you meet some of these guys in person, though; and they're manners are, invariably, better too.)

I strongly suspect the reason the PGC welcomes out-of-staters at their ranges is because of all the out-of-state hunters who bring in lots of additional travel revenue into PA.

I admit I was being facetious when I made that remark about, 'where all the other people from New Jersey go'; but, heck, I was once an out-of-state shooter too. Want the truth? It's been my experience that having an instructor and a group of shooters at a state range has a sobering effect on the rest of the crowd. Everybody's gun safety habits actually seem to improve.

If I wanted to shoot about as safe as it can get, I'd simply go to Sunset Hill Shooting Range. I have always found Anton and his crew to be absolute, 'mother hens' when it comes to firearm safety. Anton, Penny, Nicole, and I, all, got our instructor's credentials in the same class; and, Anton STILL makes me adhere to each and every rule that he insists everybody else (from New Jersey ) follows. He even made me take the Sunset Hill customer safety exam AFTER we were certified together!

If you'd like to know about one of the largest and safest PGC ranges I know of, it's SGL #300, otherwise known as the, 'Archibald Range'. Going there would add about 40 minutes to your trip, and might be well worth the drive. If you go on a weekend and get there in the late morning the usual crew of older shooters (who always bring a card table with them) will probably be there. There's plenty of room for a group of 10 or 12 to fit in; and, those old fellows do a really good job of policing, both, themselves and the firing line while they're there.

I have never seen the firearm shenanigans at Archibald that I've seen at other local PGC ranges; and, I'll include Red Rock in this comment. I don't teach anymore; but, if I did, Archibald would be at the top of my list for range sessions. If your group is large enough, like say 20 or so, you can call the Game Commission in Dallas and reserve the range for your use.

A few years ago, I was shooting at Gouldsboro when another instructor and 4 or 5 students show up on the pistol line. They didn't cause a problem for anyone else; and, like I said, the group seemed to have a sobering influence on the entire line.

Here, maybe this will help you out:

Local PGC Public Shooting Ranges

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast