Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: An anti's rant

(Lancaster County)

Default An anti's rant

So I'm having a bit of a go around with this guy. His argument is this:
    A downloadable PDF from the CDC has Firearm homicides at nearly double every other form of homicide. Not to mention that the data here is trying to prove a host of different things.

On the other hand, guns are designed to kill. That is their function and purpose. It can be anything from rodents to humans - they are designed to shoot a piece of metal with the ultimate goal of ending a life. In cases where they don't end life, it usually keeps the person maimed.

A crazy person cannot walk into a movie theater with a baseball bat and kill dozens. A person cannot walk into a mall with a bat and kill dozens. A person cannot sit in a trunk and snipe people with a baseball bat.

The American mentality is that we deserve guns because a horribly outdated document says we can have them. Yet we as a society don't understand the ramifications of holding a fire arm - most of us think of them as toys, or objects of glory and power. That's a societal issue.

The fact that we have the most lax gun control laws and the highest rate of gun related crimes is probably just a coincidence. But hey, that's cool, it makes us free.
    Anyone offer some pointers to
    Return to his argument??
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthrope View Post
    OC.......do it for the boobies........

Default Re: An anti's rant

I don't see a single thing he said that was wrong.

however...............

Someone wants to try and rob/kill you. There are many of them and one of you. The police are minutes away. your only hope is a gun............nah, those things are horrible. I'll let'm have their way with me.
    [account deactivated]

(Monroe County)

Maybe present the stats and evidence that show that areas with very lax gun control see lower crime rates? How enacting gun control measures is almost always followed by a rise in violent crime, while loosening the regulations results in a lower crime rate?

Perhaps use the UK as an example. They are a prime indicator of what happens when strict gun control is put in place. Australia, too. In a society where guns are outlawed, only outlaws have guns. Where does that leave the people who follow the laws?

You could mention all of the governments that have banned private ownership of firearms, then promptly moved in and murdered their unarmed citizens. Some examples would be: The Soviet Union, Germany, China, Guatemala, Uganda.

Or the fact that violent convicts, when interviewed, say that the thing they fear the most is being shot by a victim. Not being killed by police, not jail time, but their intended victim fighting back and shooting them.

That should get you started. I could go on all night, but I'm sure others will chime in.

Actually, forget I said anything. This person's mind is obviously made up, and no amount of evidence or reason will change that.
    Last edited by snakeman21; December 8th, 2012 at 03:11 PM.
    Everyone should have an AK-47

(Montgomery County)

A crazy person cannot walk into a movie theater with a baseball bat and kill dozens. A person cannot walk into a mall with a bat and kill dozens. A person cannot sit in a trunk and snipe people with a baseball bat.
    What's his fascination with baseball bats? There are numerous ways of killing dozens of people without using firearms. If a crazy person wants to kill people, he will find a way.

Quote Originally Posted by The Unknown 1087 View Post
    Anyone offer some pointers to
    Return to his argument??
    "Goodbye."

(I personally wouldn't waste my time - you probably won't change his mind, and he probably won't change yours.)

Quote Originally Posted by Ewussor View Post
    What's his fascination with baseball bats? There are numerous ways of killing dozens of people without using firearms. If a crazy person wants to kill people, he will find a way.
    One could kill more people with improvised explosives made from household chemicals that would never really get banned than with a firearm. There were murders before firearms existed, and there will still be murders afterwards.
    Practicing free speech outside of the designated free speech zones.

(Philadelphia County)

Ask Custer how he felt about bow and arrows killing large amounts of people. Oh wait, nm

(Allegheny County)

I had a back and forth with someone of this nature once.

After a half hour of it he said "Well, I don't understand why they can't make bullets that just WOUND someone!"

I shook my head and walked away.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Erie County)

The American mentality is that we deserve guns because a horribly outdated document says we can have them.
    That document also allows him to speak his mind, be protected against unreasonable search and seizure, be free from arrest and detainment without being charged, among others, should those rights be eliminated also?
    The most dangerous place in America is a "gun free" zone.

Quote Originally Posted by Truckman View Post
    That document also allows him to speak his mind, be protected against unreasonable search and seizure, be free from arrest and detainment without being charged, among others, should those rights be eliminated also?
    Well they are already infringing on most of those rights already. I'm guessing the guy would be OK with "reasonable" "common sense" restrictions or infringements on those rights. Of course it would be to his standard of "reasonable" and "common sense"
    Practicing free speech outside of the designated free speech zones.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast