Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mauser HSc

(Chester County)

Default Mauser HSc

Older model with the wooden grips for sale at a local gun shop. I'm thinking about buying it, but the price might be a bit too much for a mere .32. I love German weapons, though, and it is decidedly less expensive than most, at about $450. Anyone have opinions of the pistol?

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Mauser HSc

There are several variations of the HSC made pre and during WW2. Some are rarer than others. Any decent HSC that is Waffenampt will command a premium over commercial E/N proofed models. Post war HSC pistols are worth less yet.

Mauser HSC pistols with original rigs (holster and spare mag) made during the war can command serious premiums and it is not uncommon to find a collector grade models in the $600+ range.

john
    Seneca Arms

Ant,

The HSc is one of the coolest pistols ever made, I'd jump on it most of the ones I've seen at shows are in the $600 -$800 range. They did make a Post WWII variation that I believe didn't have the webbing under the barrel.

I don't think you'll regret it and if you do, You can sell it with no problem.

I'd jump on it

TJB
    Recoil Happens

(Chester County)

It's not Nazi marked. I didn't catch the serial number, but it has very plain wooden grips (the ones which have no texture/pattern, just really ugly brown wood).

I'm a bit paranoid about the slide. The only break down instructions on the internet are terrible. Do I need to go digging in the firing pin for any reason? I wish there was a better walk through, preferably with USEFUL pictures. I'd probably end up taking it to a gun smith if I had to replace the springs, rather than risk screwing something up myself.

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by Anthropophagus View Post
    It's not Nazi marked. I didn't catch the serial number, but it has very plain wooden grips (the ones which have no texture/pattern, just really ugly brown wood).

I'm a bit paranoid about the slide. The only break down instructions on the internet are terrible. Do I need to go digging in the firing pin for any reason? I wish there was a better walk through, preferably with USEFUL pictures. I'd probably end up taking it to a gun smith if I had to replace the springs, rather than risk screwing something up myself.
    Try gunsworld.com (not exact address,but search google if necessary)

(Lycoming County)

No need to go digging around firing pin unless it's broke. Simple field stripping for the average cleaning. Beyond that if you have the need and feel uncomfortable go to a smith.

(Chester County)

Ok, so I picked up the HSc today.

It's in very good condition, cosmetically and mechanically. The serial number is in the 870,xxx range and it has commercial German markings (black eagle and "N"). Although it wasn't used by a Nazi officer, it was produced during WW2 under the Nazi regime, so I'm content with its "history". There is at least one problem, however. The weapon is double-action, obviously, but it does not work in such a way. I have to use the single-action method to fire. I'm chalking this up to a faulty/broken spring. Does that sound right? I was very disappointed, and hoping it's not a major problem.

I purchased the Wolff spring pack regardless, to bring everything back to factory condition.
    Last edited by Anthropophagus; March 18th, 2008 at 09:23 PM.

(Lycoming County)

Probably just a spring.
    Do a normal field strip and look around inside.
    I think I mentioned Gunsworld to you earlier. Look for broken or missing parts by comparing to their parts list illustrations.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by crazy charlie View Post
    Probably just a spring.
    Do a normal field strip and look around inside.
    I think I mentioned Gunsworld to you earlier. Look for broken or missing parts by comparing to their parts list illustrations.
    I did visit Gunsworld but, unfortunately, there is no HSc section.

Regardless, everything looks intact as far as I can tell. I can't really dig much deeper, because the slide guts are fairly complex and I don't feel comfortable messing with them. Field stripped it and gave it a good cleaning (bore is like a mirror!) and oiled up the bore and slide, but I'm gonna take it to a smith later this week when my springs arrive.

I just wanted to see if my troubleshooting sounded right.

This is such a great little gun, though. Aside from the firing pin/safety assembly, it's very easy to strip down. Really handsome firearm, too, with an awesome look. And how could I resist a Mauser pistol (not the hideous Broomhandle, though... blegh)? It was love at first sight.

(Lycoming County)

I did visit Gunsworld but, unfortunately, there is no HSc section.

Regardless, everything looks intact as far as I can tell. I can't really dig much deeper, because the slide guts are fairly complex and I don't feel comfortable messing with them. Field stripped it and gave it a good cleaning (bore is like a mirror!) and oiled up the bore and slide, but I'm gonna take it to a smith later this week when my springs arrive.

I just wanted to see if my troubleshooting sounded right.

This is such a great little gun, though. Aside from the firing pin/safety assembly, it's very easy to strip down. Really handsome firearm, too, with an awesome look. And how could I resist a Mauser pistol (not the hideous Broomhandle, though... blegh)? It was love at first sight.
    http://gunsworld.com/ass_dis_us.html
    In list under the 1911 .45 picture
    Last edited by crazy charlie; March 19th, 2008 at 08:33 AM. Reason: correct site address

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast