Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default Wife picking up LTCF

I suppose this could be in the "Allegheny" section but I think this gets more reads.

I'm accompanying my wife to the Allegheny Co. Court House/Sheriff's Office on Monday as she picks up her LTCF.

Though this section of the sheriff's dept. is located in the Courthouse per se, it's an area right off the street requiring no passage through security.

Does anyone know if carry (for me) is permitted? If I wait until Monday to call, who knows how long it'll take to get through and whether I'll even get an honest response.

(Chester County)

Default Re: Wife picking up LTCF

Quote Originally Posted by tvtog View Post
    I suppose this could be in the "Allegheny" section but I think this gets more reads.

I'm accompanying my wife to the Allegheny Co. Court House/Sheriff's Office on Monday as she picks up her LTCF.

Though this section of the sheriff's dept. is located in the Courthouse per se, it's an area right off the street requiring no passage through security.

Does anyone know if carry (for me) is permitted? If I wait until Monday to call, who knows how long it'll take to get through and whether I'll even get an honest response.
    A Sheriff's Office IS a 'court facility' as defined by 18 Pa CS 913. As such firearm possession is prohibited.

"Court facility." The courtroom of a court of record; a courtroom of a community court; the courtroom of a magisterial district judge; a courtroom of the Philadelphia Municipal Court; a courtroom of the Pittsburgh Magistrates Court; a courtroom of the Traffic Court of Philadelphia; judge's chambers; witness rooms; jury deliberation rooms; attorney conference rooms; prisoner holding cells; offices of court clerks, the district attorney, the sheriff and probation and parole officers; and any adjoining corridors.
    IANAL

(Allegheny County)

thank you, tl.

love knowing that irony is alive and well in SWPA.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by tl_3237 View Post
    A Sheriff's Office IS a 'court facility' as defined by 18 Pa CS 913. As such firearm possession is prohibited.
    So then similarly, the Bucks County Sheriff's satellite office in Levittown is also a court facility?

(Bucks County)

Yeah, i'm not sold on the Sheriffs office being a Court Facility by default. If it's in the courthouse, yes, but a stand alone, I am not quite so quick to give it 'courthouse' status. I could be wrong!

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Manxdriver View Post
    Yeah, i'm not sold on the Sheriffs office being a Court Facility by default. If it's in the courthouse, yes, but a stand alone, I am not quite so quick to give it 'courthouse' status. I could be wrong!
    [B]18 Pa.C.S. § 913: Possession of firearm or other dangerous weapon in court facility

(a) Offense defined.--A person commits an offense if he:
    (1) knowingly possesses a firearm or other dangerous weapon in a court facility or knowingly causes a firearm or other dangerous weapon to be present in a court facility

(f) Definitions.--As used in this section, the following words and phrases shall have the meanings given to them in this subsection:
    "Court facility." ... offices of court clerks, the district attorney, the sheriff and probation and parole officers; and any adjoining corridors.
    Seems pretty clear to me. Any of the "offices of ... the sheriff" are court facilities by definition.
    I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.

(Bucks County)

I stand corrected.

(Allegheny County)

Well...my wife picked up her LTCF today. No line....quick process...45 minutes left on the meter when we got back.

She has no immediate plan/timetable on carrying. She wanted her LTCF for the simple practical reason that everything about transporting a firearm gets simpler with an LTCF.

That said....I didn't want to miss a "teaching moment" and found myself starting to explain the myriad laws, nuances of law, interpretation of law and MISinterpretation of law that need to be fully understood as they apply to her license. Trust me, I stopped when I realized how overwhelming it can be trying to digest all at once.

Two things became abundantly clear immediately.

1.) What an amazing resource this site is and has become for me. First and foremost, having the literal letter of the law made available for perusal, study and understanding. But also the anecdotal trials and tribulations that members here experience. I confess naively that I am astonished at the lack of police training, knowledge and understanding that apparently still exists in some jurisdictions....but I am thankful for the mental exercises I am able to put myself through to ready myself for an interaction with law enforcement should it ever ocur.

2.) I must get my wife to register here as well. Way too much information and guidance here that needs to be taken advantage of.

Thanks again PAFOA!

(Allegheny County)

BTW....woman 2 spots ahead in line asks the deputy after her picture is taken: "Do I have to register the gun with my local police department."

Deputy: "Nope...it's registered when you purchase it."

:headslap: