Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Confirmed my AK-74 works

Built on an NDS-2EZ so it really didn't have that much danger of failing. But it's always nice after building an AK to get it out to range the first time and confirm you didn't screw anything up.

Went a little light on it today because I was taking it to SPAG in South Philly. I ended up having the range to myself with just one other person (a classmate coincidentally) who filmed this for me. I don't think this would have flown while the range was crowded, especially retrieving the magazine I threw while trying to be cool

120 rounds, 0 issues. Hopefully it stays that way. As soon as I can take it somewhere outdoors I'm throwing it in dirt, mud, or whatever other filth I can find.

(York County)

Default Re: Confirmed my AK-74 works

somebody got the bug...

^^^Shot mine today as well.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by plouffedaddy View Post

^^^Shot mine today as well.
    I didn't remember the user name but I recognized you from your AKARS review. Dont know if you can tell in my video but I've got one installed on that AK (bought one soon after your review).

Since I've only taken it to SPAG I have only zero'd the iron sights as far as the target would go (20 yds). I had to bring the post pretty far up, not sure if yours was like that.

Quote Originally Posted by justashooter View Post
    somebody got the bug...
    Ha the AK bug bit years ago. This is just my first 74. Back at my dad's in Commiefornia I have a Romy G and Yugo M70 I built a few years ago (complete with stupidification with bullet buttons and 10-rd mags).
    Last edited by jpkotor; December 17th, 2012 at 03:44 AM.

I had to raise my front sight up as well; seems to be pretty normal for the AKARS....

I used to prefer the 47 but these days they tend to stay in the safe a lot while the 74s come with me to the range. More accurate, devistating round, cheap ammo, and less recoil---what's not to like (well mag prices..... )

I had to raise my front sight up as well; seems to be pretty normal for the AKARS....

I used to prefer the 47 but these days they tend to stay in the safe a lot while the 74s come with me to the range. More accurate, devistating round, cheap ammo, and less recoil---what's not to like (well mag prices..... )
    I picked up two 74 mags at the Harrisburg Gun Show Dec 8th for $15 each. That's not as cheap as 47s but I've seen worse prices.

(Philadelphia County)

Yea the surplus mags are a rip-off at 25-35 each compared to the 10-12 dollar steel mags of the '47s. However, you can get the new TAPCO 5.45 mags for around 14 bucks, more than decent enough to have a bunch of loaded mags at the range and to endure whatever minor stresses most of our AK's will ever see.

I had decided I needed steel surplus 5.45 mags because I didn't want to have only TAPCO ones so I bought 5 damaged ones for 12 bucks each and have so far fixed 3 of them with the other two just requiring some minor work to make reliable. But generally I find that the TAPCO ones are easier to load up, easier to load into the rifle, and wobble less in all directions.