Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Cumberland County)

Default Guncrafter Industries

I've seen it, I want it, a Guncrafter Industries Model No. 3-A Commander 50GI. No real need other than "me like". Is it worth it? Would I be better off getting a Desert Eagle 50 a/e to satisfy my need for a 50?

Last edited by cruzans; December 7th, 2012 at 08:21 PM. Reason: Pic added in case you haven't seen it :)

(Franklin County)

Default Re: Guncrafter Industries

whats the cost???
    In God We Trust............................

(Montgomery County)

Over $3k. And $2.00 a pop ammo from only one source.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ewussor View Post
    Yeah, there's definitley some down side - lol. Alternative would be the 50 cal conversion kit for glock for $599, or a Desert Eagle for $ 1,000-$1,500 ??? But that No. 3 sure does look sweet!

(Bucks County)

nice looking pistol but i'd invest in a wilson combat, les baur, ed brown or other top of the line 1911 manufacturer if i was going to spend over 3K for a 1911. what would kill the deal for me is the single source ammo supplier and the $ 2 a round cost of ammo. if the supplier decides to cease production for any reason you're forced to reload or you're stuck with a 3 grand paper weight.

if you have to have a 50 cal i'd go with a desert eagle which can be had for around 1600 for the top of the line model.

IMO when asking is it worth it for a $3000 + gun. I would put that in perspective by saying that if a $1500 dan wesson CCO will work to the same level, then "Is it worth it?" is one of them flawed questions.

I like the .50GI round better than the .50AE round first because the gun that fires it is either a standard sized glock or 1911 and second because it has the same energy as a 41 Mag and its about as controllable as .45 Auto +P. You'll need to start reloading if you want to shoot it any amount. Guncrafter Industries sells the dies though, so its totally do-able.
    The M1. Smackin' the bastards since 1932.

It is a nice looking gun but it is not even remotely worth $3k IMO. These 1911 manufacturers have gotten a little out of hand. When you sit down and figure materials costs....

I really do not see how .50gi is much (if any) improvement over the .45acp. The major ammo companies are not making tested and up to date JHP rounds for .50gi like they are for .45acp.
    Last edited by dkf; December 8th, 2012 at 01:16 AM.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    These 1911 manufacturers have gotten a little out of hand. When you sit down and figure materials costs....
    Cost of materials has little to do with it. They produce what are (effectively) luxury items, and they charge what the traffic will bear. Is a top-of-the-line luxury car worth what it costs? To most it's not, but to some it is. Same with fancy guns. Rather than ask, "Is it worth it?" it might be better to ask. "Can I afford it?"

(Delaware County)

They are building a great pistol. Alex knows 1911's. His history can be found here...http://www.guncrafterindustries.com/about.shtml

I just bought a No Name.....(.45 ACP)

It shoots fantastic. Made a believer outta me. I've actually talked to Alex and had an online conversation with the Master Gunsmith that built my pistol, on another forum. Try that with another manufacturer.

I am considering a .50/.45 version. Yeah, the ammo is expensive, $1.26 to $2.12/round in .50, but it has some interesting spec's. It's not something I'd be using for shooting steel plates, but it certainly is a great defensive round. A 1" expanded bullet in someone is a probably a good reason for them to stop their attack.

Yes, I know, I'm very fortunate to be in a position to be able to afford some high end pistols...
    George,
    So many guns, so little money.

Cost of materials has little to do with it. They produce what are (effectively) luxury items, and they charge what the traffic will bear. Is a top-of-the-line luxury car worth what it costs? To most it's not, but to some it is. Same with fancy guns. Rather than ask, "Is it worth it?" it might be better to ask. "Can I afford it?"
    That would be a good example if they were using Ford Mustang parts to build Ferraris. They most likely buy their forgings from the same places everyone else does. I guess it is true that there is a sucker born every minute.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast