Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default Bill to require Firearm Ownership in Vermont

I don't exactly agree with this but.... if they [gumbment] can make me purchase health insurance to keep costs down the same logic could be applied to gun ownership.....

http://gunowners.wordpress.com/2012/...ing-a-firearm/

Vermont Rep. Fred Maslack is proposing that the state not only register non-gun owners but also charge them for not having a gun. Under Maslack’s proposal Vermont would become the first state to require a permit for the luxury of traipsing about unarmed and assess a fee of $500 for the privilege of not owning a gun.

This wouldn’t be the first time in America that such a law was passed. In Kennesaw, GA, gun ownership has been mandatory since 1982 with a fine of $100 being levied for violators. In contrast to the hysteria the gun control zealots were expounding at the time, crime was drastically lowered while the population skyrocketed.

Prior to enactment of the law, Kennesaw had a population of just 5,242 but a crime rate significantly higher (4,332 per 100,000) than the national average (3,899 per 100,000). The latest statistics available – for the year 2005 – show the rate at 2,027 per 100,000. Meanwhile, the population has skyrocketed to 28,189.

Maslack’s bill in Vermont, atop the $500 fine, would also require non gun owners to register with the state. Under the bill, adults who choose not to own a firearm would be required to register their name, address, Social Security number, and driver’s license number with the state.

Usually, I have been against the government ruling anything has to be mandatory. But given the fact that Obamacare not only passed but was affirmed by the Supreme Court, I guess the new law of the land allows the government to force people to buy things. While it may not be right, as of now it is legal, so why not force people (who are not otherwise barred from owning firearms) to exercise their rights and those persons
    who are “conscientiously scrupulous of bearing arms” shall be required to “pay such equivalent”?

I mean, there is no reason why gun owners should have to pay taxes to support police protection for people who choose not to protect themselves. Why not let them contribute their fair share and pay their own way. Isn’t that reasonable? Non-gun owners require more police to protect them and this fee should go to paying for their defense.

If, as a healthy person, I have to foot the bill for the chain smoking, burger inhaling, cardio hating, Fatty McFattensteins of America, why shouldn’t someone who wants to pass the responsibility of their own protection onto the cops pay for that privilege?

Do I expect this legislation in Vermont to go anywhere? I’m not sure. When similar bills have come up before in Vermont they haven’t gotten any traction but ever since the Supreme Court ruled in favor of Obamacare who knows.

If the long lasting effect of Obamacare (besides crippling the health industry) is that mandatory gun ownership legislation sweeps the nation then I will laugh long and hard. Gotta love karma.
    When you are called a racist, it just means you won an argument with an Obama supporter.

Default Re: Bill to require Firearm Ownership in Vermont

Remember it would be a tax, not a fee.

(Pike County)

Well, defending the state IS one of our duties. Unlike health insurance.
    Je suis déplorable

I'm not sure if the article is a joke/hoax, or the lawmaker is making the bill to make a point, or he is serious.

If serious it is ridiculous. Much as people have the right to choose to own guns and carry, they have the right to choose not to own and carry guns. If serious just another ridiculous piece of legislation. Government control needs to have limits. Unfortunately the government is constantly pushing the limits.

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by internet troll View Post
    I'm not sure if the article is a joke/hoax, or the lawmaker is making the bill to make a point, or he is serious.
    I think he's making point. He made it just fine. I doubt the legislation will pass, but the is something to think about.
    If serious it is ridiculous. Much as people have the right to choose to own guns and carry, they have the right to choose not to own and carry guns.
    True, true. But it's an excellent point. Every male body between 17 and 45 is militia. How will that body perform his duty in case when he has to, if he doesn't have a gun?
    Je suis déplorable

Quote Originally Posted by Metz View Post

True, true. But it's an excellent point. Every male body between 17 and 45 is militia. How will that body perform his duty in case when he has to, if he doesn't have a gun?
    That would open a scary door. How will a body perform if it is to fat or ill, should we advocate controlling peoples diets and regulating an exercise routine to everyone so they have a healthy body to respond as a militia?

(Washington County)

Maybe one day we'll have a choice between receiving a free cell phone or a free M4.
    Fortune fingers the fearless

(Lehigh County)

Oh no, buying a chevy volt may be next.

(Pike County)

That would open a scary door.
    Indeed it would.
    Je suis déplorable

I think every legal adult should have at least a rifle and some ammo. But I am totally against the government making people do it.
    Practicing free speech outside of the designated free speech zones.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast