Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Sig P229 question

I just bought a Sig P229 a little while ago, shot it, all seems to be good.

A few questions:

behind the hammer, (holding the gun like you were going to shoot it but with the hammer down) theres a slotted grove just below the actual hammer thumb serations, there is some gray/white colored funk there. I shouldnt say funk, looks more like some kind of grease or lube. Is that what it is? If not should it be removed? (see pic 1)

Also, with the gun dissembled there seems to be some kind of hammer/ firing pin block on the slide, (see pic 2)looks like a half moon circle, and the other half in quarters 1 exposes the steel rod that on the back of the slide that the hammer hits. Well, now take a look at the frame of the gun. Pull the hammer back and slowly start to pull the trigger, there's a small little lever that comes up, and looks like would depress that moon thing I was talking about up as you were pulling the trigger. Now release the trigger, does that lever gravity drop? cause mine sticks... not sure if that is the way it is supposed to work but it seems that if it is what I am thinking when I have the hammer back (which really would be back unless I am ready to fire) the hammer rod/fireing pin would be able to freely move. This might be the way it is supposed to work. Maybe I just need to lube on there...

Sorry for the goofy explanation, I dont know the proper part names off hand. If someone knows them, please educate me!

PIC 1- Gunk on hammer

PIC 2- Half moon Thingy

PIC 3- Lever that sticks... does go back down when hammer is decocked...

Sorry for blurry pics... crap phone, crap explination...
    Last edited by Nucking Futs; December 7th, 2012 at 06:16 AM.

(Erie County)

Default Re: Sig P229 question

http://www.brownells.com/schematics/...x#s47557sid834

Don't be afraid to GOOGLE! Google is your gateway to all things of how-to, what-for, what-is, and how-much.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

(Elk County)

Gunk is grease, possibly now mixed with powder combustion products.

Half moon thing is the firing pin block, a short pin that fits in a groove in the firing pin.

The lever that pops up when the hammer is cocked is the firing pin block actuator which "lifts" the firing pin block up aligning clearance cuts in both the block and the firing pin, allowing the firing pin to move forward when struck by the hammer as the trigger is pulled.

HTH,

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

his name is Noah 2 time cause he says everything 2 times.....

Sorry watched Goodfellas last night

Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post
    Gunk is grease, possibly now mixed with powder combustion products.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nucking Futs View Post
    does that lever gravity drop? cause mine sticks...
    Noah explained it 'bout as good as can be except he left out the most important part...gunk + gun part sometimes = "sticks"

Nah, just kidding. If you grease up your gun innards like I do, the actuator will have to be pushed down to get the slide back on, it if is stuck in the up position. It should fall back into place if it is clean and there is no lube on it, which, in that case, will let you feel every bit of creep that the system can muster. As said, I use grease in there, but I only use a thin shield of it. It can also aid in reassembly when you detail strip.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

The important question here is about the firing pin block actuator... Sig calls it a safety lever

Is it supposed to fall back down on its own? Mine is sticking up after I pull the trigger and release it. If it is sticking up then it is keeping the firing pin block actuated making the firing pin unblocked....

I am going to put a drop of lube on it and see if it will start moving on its own.

Quote Originally Posted by Nucking Futs View Post
    The important question here is about the firing pin block actuator... Sig calls it a safety lever

Is it supposed to fall back down on its own? Mine is sticking up after I pull the trigger and release it. If it is sticking up then it is keeping the firing pin block actuated making the firing pin unblocked....
    Quote Originally Posted by 300WM View Post
    If you grease up your gun innards like I do, the actuator will have to be pushed down to get the slide back on, it if is stuck in the up position. It should fall back into place if it is clean and there is no lube on it,
    When the gun is put together, it goes down no matter how much grease/lube/spit you have in there. When it is apart and you are holding just the frame in your hand and pull the trigger, if there is any grease on it, it will likely stay up. This is normal. Simply push it down with your finger before you attempt to put the slide back on, otherwise, you will begin to use some profanity. EDIT: however, if it stays up with no lube and can still be pushed down, easily, with your finger, it is still normal. If it was binding in some way, I'd be interested in getting it loosened up, some.
    Last edited by harold63; December 7th, 2012 at 10:55 AM.

(Montgomery County)

Perhaps dried TW25b residue? I suspect its nothing to worry about, maybe at the next cleaning employment of a toothpick to pick at it to see if it readily comes off? If dried 'lubricant' nothing at all to fret about..

Quote Originally Posted by Big-O View Post
    Perhaps dried TW25b residue? I suspect its nothing to worry about, maybe at the next cleaning employment of a toothpick to pick at it to see if it readily comes off? If dried 'lubricant' nothing at all to fret about..
    The actuator can do nothing but bob up and down when the trigger is pulled with the slide off. It is the only way you can see it operate. It does not matter if it doesn't fall back into place as long as nothing is impeding it from doing so. Some kind of lube in there that may hold it up is normal. I don't own a single gun that the actuator will fall back into place when I slightly pull the trigger. Also, I wouldn't be pulling the trigger through the break with the slide off, anyway.

(Blair County)

The grease doesnt bother anything, mine is 5 years old almost and 7k rounds, its still there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast