Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Cumberland County)

Default I Did Something Bad Today. The Deals Were Just So Good... (Warning, Taurus Content)

So I did something I thought I never would. I bought a Taurus. I know, I know...

I'd been planning on buying a cheap .22 plinker, because cash isn't as free flowing for the Rwb1500 family during the winter. I planned on getting a Heritage Rough Rider, but came upon a old Taurus 94B4 today for a stupid good price. I also bought a little Sterling 302 auto.

The good news is the revolver rocks. Sure the DA isn't so great, but the single action is AWESOME. Straight up AWESOME. I was shocked. It might be too light. Really nice and crisp too. Adjustable sights, great little gun. I shot 350 rounds through it this afternoon, most of them ringing a 6 inch plate at 20 yards.

The Sterling is a little rough, but I cleaned it up tonight and it seems to work pretty well. I need to get back to the range today for some more testing with that one.

Best part is it all cost less than $240.

ETA, I've never owned a revolver that had more than a 5 shot capacity. IT'S AWESOME!

Also, bring the Taurus hate. I wrote the book on it.
    Last edited by rwb1500; December 6th, 2012 at 11:21 PM.

(Delaware County)

Default Re: I Did Something Bad Today. The Deals Were Just So Good... I Couldn't Help Myself

You are better off with your purchases as opposed to getting the Heritage. Taurus double action could be cleaned up by a competant gunsmith, the Sterling were very popular firearms in their day. They, along with other names of that era, Star, Astra, and Llama, had good reputations. I am dating myself, but I remember when all four of those names were still in production by their orginal companies. My first centerfire handgun was a Llama 38 revolver in 1967, I owned a Astra Constable in the 70s and a Star BM in the 80s.

You actually did something good today.

Default Re: I Did Something Bad Today. The Deals Were Just So Good... I Couldn't Help Myself

Congratulations! I need a good plinker pistol as well. I wouldn't have problem with a taurus revolver, just wouldn't buy a semi.
    Practicing free speech outside of the designated free speech zones.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by c45man View Post
    You are better off with your purchases as opposed to getting the Heritage. Taurus double action could be cleaned up by a competant gunsmith, the Sterling were very popular firearms in their day. They, along with other names of that era, Star, Astra, and Llama, had good reputations. I am dating myself, but I remember when all four of those names were still in production by their orginal companies ut. My first centerfire handgun was a Llama 38 revolver in 1967, I owned a Astra Constable in the 70s and a Star BM in the 80s.

You actually did something good today.
    I know, I've just been accused of being a Taurus basher before... I'm actually impressed with it, however Tauri of this vintage seem to be better across the board than their modern counterparts, wheelguns especially.

I knew the Sterling had a decent reputation, but this one had been rode hard and put away wet for years. However, for the price of a good case of beer I couldn't resist. It seems like I'll be able to get it to run reliably too.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Shisno View Post
    Congratulations! I need a good plinker pistol as well. I wouldn't have problem with a taurus revolver, just wouldn't buy a semi.
    I'll tell you what, I looked at the new Taurus .22s for a while and just couldn't bring myself to get one, especially with horror stories I've heard and the ugly triggers I've felt. I just can't afford a Smith to plink with right now. Wish I could.

This thing is actually pretty nice. The bluing is very well done (although the cell phone pictures don't do it a lot of justice), and the single action trigger is excellent. The double action sucks, but it's a rimfire, and I could improve it if I wanted. Typically I prefer to just learn to shoot with a heavy pull though.

I shoot J frames well and the DA on this gun makes a factory fresh J frame feel like a 1911.
    Last edited by rwb1500; December 6th, 2012 at 11:47 PM.

(Fayette County)

Default Re: I Did Something Bad Today. The Deals Were Just So Good... (Warning, Taurus Conten

Quote Originally Posted by rwb1500 View Post
    Best part is it all cost less than $240.
    Very jealous. I've been looking for a double-action 22lr revolver for some time.

350 rounds in one afternoon... I hope you have a speedloader. That's like reloading the cylinder at least 38 times!!!

Still jealous. But, Congrats on your great deal!

(Cumberland County)

Default Re: I Did Something Bad Today. The Deals Were Just So Good... (Warning, Taurus Conten

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin60 View Post
    Very jealous. I've been looking for a double-action 22lr revolver for some time.

350 rounds in one afternoon... I hope you have a speedloader. That's like reloading the cylinder at least 38 times!!!

Still jealous. But, Congrats on your great deal!
    Well, a couple of them went into the Sterling. The great majority in the wheelie though. I shot 9mm and .38spc too! I was busy.

(Monroe County)

Sweet, i love those old Taurus with the genuine Bazilian hardwood grips.

I have a modern model 94 , sweet Gun.

Quote Originally Posted by rwb1500 View Post
    Also, bring the Taurus hate. I wrote the book on it.
    You probably know by now you'll get none of that from me!

That trigger in SA is something I know, well. My boy's best friend has one and you can't sneeze on it in that mode. He found out the hard way when he put a hole in his side, the top of his mama's couch, and her china cabinet, though that hole was more of a deep dent.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Bucks County)

Congrats on the purchases. Don't think twice about it, seems to be a great price for 2 handguns. Now take them out and enjoy!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast