Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Berks County)

Default Re: Smokless Powder Storage Laws

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpa72 View Post
    After watching this entire video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SlOX...ature=youtu.be - on what happens to ammo in a fire, I stopped worrying about the few containers of gun powder that I keep. This is a good video in which SAAMI exposes hundreds, thousands, and even tens of thousands of rounds to fire in various configurations. They even have a firefighter standing near a burning pallet in which brass and bullets are coming out. It is a very educational video.

I don't worry about my gun powder and ammo storage but I do live in an area serviced by volunteer firefighters and I wonder what their level of training is relative to entering a building with gun powder. Fwiw, my son-in-law was worried about it so I took a couple of tablespoons of commercial smokeless powder, poured in on the driveway and, just for effect, had my son-in-law stand back. Hilarious because you get a small fire with minimal smoke and certainly no explosion or even hint of one.
    Rep inbound...great video find and very timely. I just had a discussion with a "moron" over how relatively safe modern ammunition really is. Turns out the testing conducted in this video was a lot more extreme and ammunition is even MORE stable than I originally thought!

Great find, I will be passing it along.

Sad video that so much ammo had to be destroyed!!!
    "Disperse you Rebels! Damn you! Throw down your Arms and Disperse!" British Major Pitcairn at Lexington April 19, 1775

"Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things" Marvin Heemeyer

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by 762xIan View Post

Sad video that so much ammo had to be destroyed!!!
    I was thinking the same thing as I watched the video. Great video and very informative.

(York County)

Thanks to everyone that contributed. I’m going to start looking into my township regulations. I live in a rural area so I hope they are pretty limited. Thanks again.
    Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun

(Lehigh County)

i have a c&r ffl, as many of us do. i can't remember a time when the atf ever went to someones home. i think the only way this would happen is if they start getting reports about you. as far as storing powder, i store in a dark, cool place, my basement. if there was ever a fire i would be more concerned about the 1000's of rounds of ammo stored than a few lbs. of powder.

(Bucks County)

Sad that we all have to endure unjustifiable hazmat fees.

I know it has to be in a static free containment and no cardboard around it. If you call your states ATF Industry ops office they will be glad to tell you.

(Blair County)

The BATF has visited my establishment many times, but I had a License before a preliminary inspection as required. The inspection personnel never questioned my “storage” of smokeless powder. My storage is to display as much as I can justify, or afford, on shelves in my public access area (sales area). PA use to regulate storage but exempted “for use in firearm ammunition”. Now there are no state regulations. The Uniform Construction Code leaves the requirements to “the AHJ”, Authority Having Jurisdiction. In the past when having to deal with this, it was the “Fire Chief” in a City or Town with a standing fire department (not many in PA) or the elected “Chief” of the volunteer fire company. This means, in your case, maybe a neighbor. In any event the BATF will not care. Best thing is to not bring any of this up, and worry about having a secure sales area in general. BLACK POWDER is entirely different!!
    Good Luck
    Steve

(Bucks County)

A newly-built Gander Mountain opened in 2016 in Warrington, Pa. I went there to buy some propellant. I walked the store twice without seeing any. A salesman asked what I was looking for, then led me to a free-standing cabinet with closed doors. The doors were solid, not glass. There wasn't a clue to what the cabinet contained. I've never seen propellants offered in that manner. First thing I thought of was they were probably complying with a local's version of local ordinances or safety "suggestions".

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    A newly-built Gander Mountain opened in 2016 in Warrington, Pa. I went there to buy some propellant. I walked the store twice without seeing any. A salesman asked what I was looking for, then led me to a free-standing cabinet with closed doors. The doors were solid, not glass. There wasn't a clue to what the cabinet contained. I've never seen propellants offered in that manner. First thing I thought of was they were probably complying with a local's version of local ordinances or safety "suggestions".
    Probably why they went bankrupt, they weren't selling their $60 pounds of powder.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12