Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lackawanna County)

Default Moving your way, what to expect?

Ok guys, have inlaws near y'all and the wife unit is from bucks county, she wants me to semi-retire and move up there with our kid. He is 9months so schools will be important in the future, as well as bieng home ffl friendly, NFA friendly and ccw friendly.

Wife works for the .gov and I will become a home ffl/gunsmith/cerakoter/engraver and do transfers for around 25ish. So here is my main question, is it feasible and productive for me to do this there? Can I purchase a decent house with shop or double garage for 160k'ish? Schools are decent?

Thanks!
    Jones

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Moving your way, what to expect?

transfer price is exceptional, schools get worse by the day and I doubt you'll be able to find what you're looking for at that price although it is possible with all the foreclosures. Problem is that most of them are in HOA communities and they usually have bylaws against home businesses...especially dealing with firearms. Good luck.

(Monroe County)

Don't move into a gated community and you should be ok.
    Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets.

(Monroe County)

There's a bunch of houses that fall into your price range around here. Doing a quick search I found a nice 2000sqft farm house with a 2 car/workshop detached garage for $125k. Elementary school isn't too bad and as long as you stay in the Pocono East district from what I remember when our son went the JHS & HS wasn't too bad either.

here's the house http://www.weichert.com/44421224/?ci...7&view=gallery

(Lackawanna County)

Thanks for all the info, I passed it onto the wife for when we come up at Christmas. Any public ranges allow nfa nearby? Plan to bring a couple sbr's and a suppressed pistol or two.

(Monroe County)

Good luck with your search! If you find a fixer-upper you like shoot me a PM and Ill be happy to lend a hand. Be nice to have a smith in the area too.

(Lackawanna County)

Thanks for the offer, looks like there are quite a few homes in the price range around with a few acres as well. We had 17 acres as of yesterday and just sold half so that's a big push in this direction along with the wife signing a new 3yr contract. Looks like we will be up there by feb, her probably in January!

Hopefully we will find a rental for 6 months until we buy and then I will get my ffl/sot and start up. Kinda exciting, especially if we can sell the rest of the land and what not before then! Looks like there is a rental fairly cheap with 5 acres in stroudsberg, along with a shed/shop so that may work temporarily !

(Monroe County)

Make sure you visit the area before you sign anything. There are a few places around Stroudsburg that I wouldn't walk around without an AK strapped to my back, along with all the accoutrements.

(Wayne County)

I'm just north of where you speak of, in Wayne county. Wallenpaupack Area school is rated about the same as Central Bucks (I'm from Bucks originally), just taxes are much, much lower. Target ranges...after 8 years, the best one I've found is my back yard or friend's farm...not fond of public ranges.
    Pike/Wayne realtor assoc. has a website for housing search, but if you want Monroe, use realtor.com . You should be able to find what you want in your price range.

Good luck, and let us know.

Matt

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by Tootie View Post
    Make sure you visit the area before you sign anything. There are a few places around Stroudsburg that I wouldn't walk around without an AK strapped to my back, along with all the accoutrements.
    Lol, I understand. I grew up in south ms and since Katrina parts if this area are the same way. Hell we visited Lebanon pa earlier this year when she had a interview with Hershey, lets just say it reminded me of New Orleans 9th ward!

We will be up in the area at Christmas to look around, she has contacted a a few realtors so hopefully we will have something signed by jan 2. Her parents just retired and are moving to big bass lake permantly as soon as their house if finished, and live in chalfont now. She also has family in the philly and Bethlehem area as well. So somewhere along 80 should be ideal for her commute and ease if family visits.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast