Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Production Logs

(Chester County)

Default Production Logs

Since im starting to reload a lot more now in volume and in different calibers, I decided to make a production log to monitor all of my output as well as costs. This includes direct material costs like powder, primer, and brass, as well as indirect material costs like tumbling media and case lube. I am making up a chart and will will have it all finished tomorrow that will monitor all these things as well as cost per round.

Does anyone else do this? Just curious. I can post templates of my charts when they are made if people are interested
    "All we have is a temporary bill of privileges" - George Carlin

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Production Logs

Yup. I use Excel mostly because I've used spreadsheets for years. Keeps track of production across 5 calibers. Originally it included costs, but I decided I really wasn't all that interested and I can recognize sales without tracking lol. It's very flexible though not so friendly to long text entries. As I've learned more about what's important to store I've been able to add/change the format.

I also use it to print out the recipe and color-coding (if necessary) for each batch of handloads I make, sort of like a work order lol.

The same workbook also keeps track of rounds fired by weapon, which factory brand or reload, and notes about any issues that cropped up.

So, eg, I know my M&P9 has 2464 rounds thru, 1 failure to lock open on empty on round #95, no other issues with Federal or Blazer, and 6 FTEs as I "forced" through a test group of minimum load handloads.The list of issues on my Ruger SR22 is a fair bit longer lol, but it has fired the last 520 of its 2765 rounds without issue.

It's nice to have it all in one place.

(Lehigh County)

look here. is this what you are doing?

http://www.handloads.com/calc/loadingCosts.asp

(Chester County)

Its sort of like that link. It just keeps track of costs as well as how many rounds I have produced. It says when I purchased new "equipment" like dies, scales, trays, calipers, etc.

It also helps keep track of cartridge specs because I like to make up a lot of different loads and then pick the best one.

With this info its a little easier to figure out how much money I have actually saved myself by reloading vs buying factory ammunition.

I thought all reloaders did this LOL. If not, then I guess we are in a very elite club
    Hold the Line...

(Chester County)

Well here are my "charts". Basic? Yes. But they will work for what I need. The first chart includes the brand of each component and the cost. It also includes the weight for the bullet and powder. The data on the chart is not real data. Its just an example I made up.

The second chart has individual columns for brass, bullets, primer, and powder. Thats what the X in each box is for. The other 2 charts are pretty self explanatory. What do you all think?

(Westmoreland County)

You get an A for effort and being efficient .Me on the other hand I reload for relaxation and as a hobby to pass my free time. Sure I keep a complete list and label all my loads .But dang if I had to jot down all that stuff it would make it seem like work to me

(Beaver County)

I keep a caliber/load log. It contains load recipe, book result (such as FPS), my result and gun tested in. The last thing I want to do is track my expense in written form over 30k rounds a year. If my wife found that sheet she'd probly go berserk. I also do my cost per round when I'm ordering components so that's when most of my math is done.
    Last edited by DucatiRon; December 6th, 2012 at 04:00 PM.
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.

(Somerset County)

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Ault View Post
    You get an A for effort and being efficient .Me on the other hand I reload for relaxation and as a hobby to pass my free time. Sure I keep a complete list and label all my loads .But dang if I had to jot down all that stuff it would make it seem like work to me
    This ^ right here! I keep track of test loads (powder/charge/bullet/group size etc) since I don't want to repeat my efforts and I label each box of shells with the data but the rest of the stuff? No way! Especially costs.

Dale

(Susquehanna County)

I did for a while, but, I've been reloading for so long now hat all my costs are due to expendables. Equipment cost have sunk to nearly zero. I maintain a notebook with the ruslts of load development in it, but that's about all. I don't care about the number of times my pistol brass has been reloaded, I just keep repeating the cycle until it cracks.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast